Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Just bought a wide glide shovel head

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 03:26 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts
Default Just bought a wide glide shovel head

Today I walked into a marina just for fun and saw this bike in the corner and ended up taking it home. I know nothing about these bikes (have a newer road king) and Im not sure whats correct and whats not other than the exhaust, air cleaner maybe, probably the bars too but the frame still has the stickers on it showing the wheels are correct sizes and the serial number is on the engine that matches the frame. Tank and fenders were repainted. I figure whatever isnt correct is a period mod and thats cool too. Runs well and shifts nice, fun to ride. Very different than my RK thats for sure and expected. 8/81 is the build date on the frame sticker.

I have said on this site before that I would never get an old bike but this one just happened to be 5 mins from my house, looked cool and interesting and it seemed like a good deal.

Hoping you guys can educate me a little based on the pics and Ill start my research as well.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:37 PM
SparkyD
Road Captain
Received 154 Likes on 110 Posts

I believe the foot controls are period correct as well. I have the same sitting in a milk crate waiting to be rebuilt

Old 08-27-2017, 01:26 AM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Nice find

Like the Shovels most have sound like no other and the fish tails are way out there enjoy. Wild Bill

Attached Thumbnails Just bought a wide glide shovel head-image.jpeg  
Old 08-27-2017, 06:19 AM
Bubby
Cruiser
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

Great looking shovel head! Be patient with it and you'll have a fun scoot.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:46 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

Thanks for chiming in. Im having a hard time figuring certain details out, thought it would be easy on line these days but its not. Trying to figure out if the bars are original. I know the rear signal lights aren't and I want to know what air cleaner it had, the big rectangle box with plastic fins or?

I love the sound and period mods.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:52 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

Are you trying to put it back to factory stock? If so you will need new exhaust, shocks, handlebars/risers, rear blinkers, and a few other little pieces. Looks pretty complete otherwise, from the one picture. It's an 82, first year of those "modern" hand controls, last year of the older rear brake controls. I can't tell if it's just highly polished or chrome, but nothing on the engine would have been chrome in 82.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:59 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by mrlexus
Are you trying to put it back to factory stock? If so you will need new exhaust, shocks, handlebars/risers, rear blinkers, and a few other little pieces. Looks pretty complete otherwise, from the one picture. It's an 82, first year of those "modern" hand controls, last year of the older rear brake controls. I can't tell if it's just highly polished or chrome, but nothing on the engine would have been chrome in 82.
Not wanting to return it to original just wanting to know my bike is all. Educate myself. I like the period mods, I have a car that has period mods from new which makes it more appealing to me and other collectors.

Shouldn't the rocker boxes be chrome? The engine side cover is chrome not polished as is the primary cover.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:01 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

I might hunt down the correct stuff to have it. If I ever sell it, its nice to offer those items with it.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:31 AM
drew88
Cruiser
Received 124 Likes on 61 Posts

Not a big fan of Shovels as they were nearly the death of the MoCo but damn, that's too cool. Congratulations!

Old 08-27-2017, 08:40 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by drew88
Not a big fan of Shovels as they were nearly the death of the MoCo but damn, that's too cool. Congratulations!
I dont doubt the time will come that Ill want to light it on fire but thats what I signed up for getting an old bike. Ill do the work myself so at least that'll cut down the cost.

And thanks!

Quick Reply: Just bought a wide glide shovel head