Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovel head normal noises?

Old 09-06-2017, 05:28 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,720 Likes on 2,467 Posts
Default Shovel head normal noises?

Ive noticed aside from the lovely idle sound theres a random mechanical noise. Not a bearing but a sound from the transmission like gear rollover noise or a random mechanical knock. I isolated it to the rear part of the primary or transmission, its not the engine.

I ordered the factory shop manual, parts book and owners manual and I can do the work myself but Im still waiting for them to arrive. Im just wondering if these bikes normally make sounds like this or I have some work to do?

Old 09-06-2017, 05:30 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Is it a dry or wet clutch. A dry clutch can sound like a coffee can with a bunch of change in it rolling down a concrete driveway.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:59 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by IronAss
Is it a dry or wet clutch. A dry clutch can sound like a coffee can with a bunch of change in it rolling down a concrete driveway.
Dry, has all the oil lines still in tact. Nice description btw.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:02 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

To really isolate a noise try
Put a piece of pipe appox 1" x 2' of more put 1 end close to where you think the noise is coming from and other end at your ear , move pipe around to loudest point

Old 09-06-2017, 06:03 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

They will normally "chatter" whenever you disengage (pull the lever in) the clutch.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:08 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by 81rat
To really isolate a noise try
Put a piece of pipe appox 1" x 2' of more put 1 end close to where you think the noise is coming from and other end at your ear , move pipe around to loudest point
I did with a long screwdriver, Ive been a licensed car mechanic since 1986 and run my own shop. Just not familiar with what is normal on an old shovel head is all.

Originally Posted by IronAss
They will normally "chatter" whenever you disengage (pull the lever in) the clutch.
Noise doesn't change with clutch position, tried that earlier.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:46 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,519 Likes on 2,862 Posts

as lower unit sound travels some even to the handlebars,

locating a noise in a shovel --- well its the real reason drag pipes were invented

having said that the list of possible places is mind boggling

being it has you looking at the rear of the primary my guess you have bolts loose, between the motors 4 bottom three top trans 5 and the trans plate has 4 - the primary has 8 plus the starter housing and related parts

brake out the wrenches and confirm

Old 09-06-2017, 06:51 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
as lower unit sound travels some even to the handlebars,

locating a noise in a shovel --- well its the real reason drag pipes were invented

having said that the list of possible places is mind boggling

being it has you looking at the rear of the primary my guess you have bolts loose, between the motors 4 bottom three top trans 5 and the trans plate has 4 - the primary has 8 plus the starter housing and related parts

brake out the wrenches and confirm
Thank you. I need to fix an oil leak on that side anyway so Ill yank the inner case and everything in front of it.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:48 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,519 Likes on 2,862 Posts

if the oil - its wet on the drive sprocket then its the hi gear bushing, the inside small seal is very small its only going to hold back Some wet ness not a flow from worn parts

also look at the counter shaft just in front of the sprocket 1 inch in diameter if the pocket is wet its the O ring seal - trans apart for both of those leaks

the primary its self has fittings and hoses don't wipe anything till you determine wetness and looseness in anything that might be the cause

The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (09-08-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 11:54 PM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Only worry on mine

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Ive noticed aside from the lovely idle sound theres a random mechanical noise. Not a bearing but a sound from the transmission like gear rollover noise or a random mechanical knock. I isolated it to the rear part of the primary or transmission, its not the engine.

I ordered the factory shop manual, parts book and owners manual and I can do the work myself but Im still waiting for them to arrive. Im just wondering if these bikes normally make sounds like this or I have some work to do?
On mine it's a 75 shovel solid roller high compression kicker I only worry when it gets quite. So used to the noise makes it right. Bikes at 15 years riding speedo stopped at 12,000 when changed tranny to 5 spd that was five years or so ago Ride Safe. Wild Bill

Attached Thumbnails Shovel head normal noises?-image.jpeg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shovel head normal noises?