Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

S&S Hydraulics Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 10:45 PM
mikeyhd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S&S Hydraulics Upgrade

I understand the advantages of using evo lifters in our shovels, and the S&S kit requires an evo cam as opposed to the JIMS kit (what a disaster that was). What I am asking is has anyone done the switch themselves? I was wondering if installing the evo cam was just a swap, or whether it involved machining a surface or two in the case.

Thanks

Old 09-20-2017, 07:46 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

stop -- an evo internal style lifter is available in standard and over size in a couple of sizes for damaged original lifter blocks for a shovel - pan engine - we hone to fit that type lifter all the time - no cam change no rocker arm change no pushrod change don't forget the lifters and evo blocks and Mods to rocker boxes in some cases do not have to happen -

the evo conversion is a money grab and has no real benefit,

the lifters I get are imports not china buy Korean and have been using them for almost 4 years with no returns or issues, if your lifter blocks are not damaged they are drop in but most blocks today are damaged - unlike the OEM lifters they are one piece and use the shovel HYD pushrods

The following users liked this post:
mikeyhd (09-25-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 12:43 AM
fergerburger
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

hmmm - just pulled the cam cone off my 78 and it sure as hell had S&S lifters and blocks and an Andrews #1 cam - had the updated pinion gear and an -86 Evo nose cone - I have no idea how one woul dtell if the #1 cam is a late shovel or an evo - would it even make a difference anyway? The S&S stuff is sure the shiz-nizzel of smooth with zero noise coming from the cam chest - motor sounds like a sewing machine covered in grease

mikeyhd (09-25-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 01:18 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
stop -- an evo internal style lifter is available in standard and over size in a couple of sizes for damaged original lifter blocks for a shovel - pan engine - we hone to fit that type lifter all the time - no cam change no rocker arm change no pushrod change don't forget the lifters and evo blocks and Mods to rocker boxes in some cases do not have to happen -

the evo conversion is a money grab and has no real benefit,

the lifters I get are imports not china buy Korean and have been using them for almost 4 years with no returns or issues, if your lifter blocks are not damaged they are drop in but most blocks today are damaged - unlike the OEM lifters they are one piece and use the shovel HYD pushrods
Hi Johnjzjz.. there is actually a lot there!!!
Any advantages on putting Evo lifters on a shovel?
If yes.... just lifters and tappets? Evo tappet block?
When are more mods needed?

Thanks!

mikeyhd (09-25-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 06:51 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

the lifters are different in a few ways, one in length and two the rollers are a different size, the dynamics of the camshaft lobes are very different as the rocker ratio to lobe lift is set for each that pays into the roller diameter - I am not real big on up dates that are very costly and could have reliability issues, I hear that it works well - I also was told the wavy washer was the cats *** when it first came along

maybe it does - but I try and not buy a customer a new engine with a internet mod

mikeyhd (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 12:40 PM
mikeyhd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I was researching the S&S complete upgrade..... I gave JIMS one more chance and bought their Powerglide upgrade kit. Not the #2411 kit, I bought it and had to return it, manuf defects wouldn't let the tappets move through the guides. Sadly it was discontinued by the vendor. I got the #1029-53B kit from another vendor. Still have problems that I am not sure are or are not related.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:22 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

jims is not what it once was and the quality is in the past tense

mikeyhd (10-16-2017)