Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Great Day Wrenching....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 09:57 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,793 Likes on 3,304 Posts
Default Great Day Wrenching....

Over the last couple weeks I've been ordering parts to upgrade a few things...

I've been having an issue with my ignition. After idling for a minute it would pop out the exhaust and stall as if the ignition fired prematurely. It was an old Compu-fire system with centrifugal advance that really didn't work all that well...

So I brought out of hiding my old Screaming Eagle ignition that I had on my Evo. I Needed to make a harness to adapt the 8 pin Duestch connector to a (Standard Electric) Hall effect cam position sensor. For the sensor connector I had an extra 3 pin Duestch connector that I got when I had my Dakota Digital speedometer for the Evo replaced under warranty. I found a female 8 pin Duestch connector online and some pins and found all the right color wiring laying in the tool box. So put that all together last night to save me a little time today... I should have taken some pics of the harness.. Sorry...... Maybe I can get some tomorrow... I also picked up a new ignition rotor cup from a friend.... I also set it up for dual fire.... Runs awesome....

I also ordered a new rear brake rotor and pads... They weren't working worth ****.... EBC Kevlar organic pads. Love them, I also have then on my Evo and they work great. I also like the fact that they were only $22... Never did a rotor on a old Superglide and I was a bit surprised that the back side of the rotor's button head socket screws had nuts and lock washers on them.. not used to that... I got rid of the nuts and lock washers and replaced them with ny-lock nuts... I thought that would be more reliable... It Didn't take long at all to swap out the pads and rotors Thanx to the axle nut being on the rotor side.....

While I was doing the ignition I also cleaned up the wiring on top of the oil tank ( I'll add some pics of that tomorrow) and I installed new rubber isolators for the battery mounts.....

Even though it rained most of the day and I couldn't test ride it, it was still a great day.....

Old 09-30-2017, 11:46 PM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Therapy

use wrenching to relax and just enjoy me time. Put mine on jack awhile back so new tires also replaced rear sprocket. Diamond chain. "Not enough room for o ring" redid rear brake complete pads rebuilt caliper and master cyl. Then gave bike complete wax and polish from bottom up. Now feel better.. sportster next one due for some major therapy .
Wild Bill. Sparks Nv.

Attached Thumbnails Great Day Wrenching....-image.jpeg  
Old 10-01-2017, 06:11 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane 68
use wrenching to relax and just enjoy me time. Put mine on jack awhile back so new tires also replaced rear sprocket. Diamond chain. "Not enough room for o ring" redid rear brake complete pads rebuilt caliper and master cyl. Then gave bike complete wax and polish from bottom up. Now feel better.. sportster next one due for some major therapy .
Wild Bill. Sparks Nv.
living dangerously a shovel in a garage that has a rug

Old 10-01-2017, 08:01 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Here's the pics I said I would post...

Here's where I cleaned up the excess wiring..

The new Cam position sensor...

And the new brake rotor and pads.....

Old 10-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
living dangerously a shovel in a garage that has a rug
carpet is black and white speckled hides the drips. And there is a little one left side crank seal

Old 10-03-2017, 11:03 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

You'll never see carpet in my shop but you will see oil spots....

Funny, every where I go to park my Shovel, it sniffs the spot first... Then squirts a little oil.... Damn dogs.......

Old 10-03-2017, 11:24 PM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Default Shop no home garage ok

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
You'll never see carpet in my shop but you will see oil spots....

Funny, every where I go to park my Shovel, it sniffs the spot first... Then squirts a little oil.... Damn dogs.......
prefer it over cold *** concrete. And have ready available source free replace when it gets to bad and it's also flame retardant used for conventions has to meet fire codes for occupied places ps also doubles as music studio and all around hang out when the wife is on the war path.

Last edited by Hurricane 68; 10-03-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:37 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Did a little wrenching myself today on the shovel. It's a 76 FXE but been kicking it as electric start kinda weak. So pulled oil tank ,batt,batt box. Got a full size batt for it . Rebuilt the starter Changed out oil lines. Removed second solenoid under batt. Wired up a relay. Made new batt cables . Cleaned up all the exposed wiring . Moved some other that just looked like crap. Pushed the button .....off it went. Nice day and have a pile of junk laying on the floor that I removed ......good day. If I didn't hurt my back sat probably wouldn't have touched the ole dog....just ride the **** out if it everyday!!

Old 10-09-2017, 05:37 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Looks good.. satisfying, isn't it......

Old 10-10-2017, 08:10 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Looks good.. satisfying, isn't it......
Yep it was...