Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

82 wide glide bobber build

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 02:29 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,728 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Got my bars on. I wanted the nacelle to be the highest part of the bike and I like the clip on bars so I had to make them work together. I sat on the bike again and Im happy with the reach (I have long arms). Ill fab up some cover that takes care of the open top where the risers passed through but it'll also clean up the areas where the bars come through the nacelle. The right foot peg needs to come down from above the pedal pivot and basically rest on the table to be where I want it so Ill have to change that arrangement completely. Im considering footboards because I like them vs a peg, we'll see, I haven't decided.

Last edited by hellonewman; 03-09-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:42 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

true to the design you are following ether would do

me I like the way we use to do it before the open belt drive

but that is me

Old 03-09-2018, 07:12 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
true to the design you are following ether would do

me I like the way we use to do it before the open belt drive

but that is me
I appreciate the feedback because im on the fence. If I run the stock primary would you suggest I isolate it from the engine oil and convert it to wet? Im wondering about potential leaks if I do that as it wasn't designed for that, I figure Ill be battling oil hemorrhaging from around the starter and solenoid on the regular basis with no real long term fix. I've read about the cons the engine may be subjected to by running the dry setup but its also made it this far without problems so Im inclined to keep it dry, find an un-chromed outer primary and upgrade the motor itself for more torque.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:56 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

put the 11MM belt in the primary -all the restos we do and some we spend lots of cash on all the small stuff - why would I want the tin primary slobbering oil all over the rear wheel ( did I say tin and they make an electric starter for those as well huuuum )

we belt the primary and do a 3 year swap out but some guys get 10 years

Old 03-10-2018, 06:05 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

Thank you, I like that idea and surprisingly theres someone local that sells the kit.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:50 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

This is where some will call me a heretic and accuse me of blasphemy but thats okay. I was doodling one night and came up with this body / fender combo with the idea that it quickly detaches and can be replaced with another version that might be a solo seat and a fender alone. Can be changed in minutes depending on my mood completely changing the look of the bike.

Im going to change the peaks on the fender to rounded to follow the tire shape. Ill make an aluminum skin and attach it to the wire frame and have a spoiler seat made. Im thinking 5 fasteners would hold it all in place.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:37 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,409 Likes on 880 Posts

well... it's certainly unconventional...

everything else you are doing looks great, though!

Old 03-11-2018, 08:30 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
well... it's certainly unconventional...

everything else you are doing looks great, though!
I have a vision in my head, have faith. I like to push the boundaries, I do it with car builds and with any luck come up with something unique and unexpected or unconventional that works.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:16 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Sure looks like an exceptional job so far...

Why quit now??

Go for it, we're depending on you hahahhaha.

Really though I agree with the idea.

The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 09:24 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

So I wasn't happy with how far down I brought the sides. Made it look unbalanced in a way so this morning I brought the two up a couple of inches and Im happy. The area under the seat ahead of the shocks will be tucked in to give the bike a waist line , coke bottle look then bulge out around the shocks and then taper back in to the tire.

One of the reasons for the bodywork is the engine itself to me is a work of art, love the shovelhead rocker boxes and the carb I just cant get enough of. Problem is everything behind that looks like ***. The battery (with a box or not), the starter and the clump of wires and clutter really takes away from the bike. The older bikes without all that garbage and had a horseshoe oil tank look great but to me the bikes from this era they just got it wrong in that department. Its like they had to put a starter on it to meet demand and just threw the stuff on and made it work not really knowing how or caring how to make it look good , even the goofy solenoid is an eyesore. Im guilty of wanting a starter so Ill run one and a compact modern battery that can fit in my hand so its easily hidden behind the bodywork.

So below you can see the before and after shortening up the side and lowered the rear of the fender to close the gap at the tire. I might also change how the body goes around the primary. Its a work in progress that will evolve until Im completely satisfied with it.

Quick Reply: 82 wide glide bobber build