Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

82 wide glide bobber build

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 10:24 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,726 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Originally Posted by silveradoman2
I like the middle drawing as well.

Must be nice too,

a: draw the idea

b: make it happen

You do have a good eye......
Thank you, I was certain my bodywork idea would draw a lot of fire.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:28 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by panz4ever
I like the overall lines of the middle drawing.

And just a thought. You gonna mock up some mini-turn signals, tail lights and license plate holder so that you get a feel of what the finished product will look like?

Another question. Is it going to be all one piece frame covering and tanks. Means draining tanks to pull the frame cover off anytime you need to get at something or doing maintrenance on it.
Forgot to answer the tank question. The bodywork will overlap the tank. Im thinking of putting a step in the tank so the overlapping body fits flush and you only see a seam.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:29 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

This concept is interesting. Many different styles / brands to chose from.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:10 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Re: license plate mouting. What about sonmething like the old Sparto tail light/licens plate mount that we used back when.
Had one mounted on my 52 Pan. Think you could also make a plate holder that runs off the side of the bike like HD uses on some of the new models

Cool looking headlight. Can those bright lights to either side of the middle bulb be isolated to be activated for use as left/right turn signals?

Last edited by panz4ever; 03-15-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:58 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Re: license plate mouting. What about sonmething like the old Sparto tail light/licens plate mount that we used back when.
Had one mounted on my 52 Pan. Think you could also make a plate holder that runs off the side of the bike like HD uses on some of the new models

Cool looking headlight. Can those bright lights to either side of the middle bulb be isolated to be activated for use as left/right turn signals?
Thats what the light is, a headlight and integral signals. I can do something similar on the rear where its one strip that half changes to amber when signally.

Can you show me a better angle of the plate?

Old 03-16-2018, 07:53 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,893 Likes on 2,550 Posts

Give Custom Dynamics a look for the tail light, they will likely have something that will work for you. They will also sell you just a board if you already have a unit you want converted to run/brake/turn signals.

That said DK Customs, a site sponsor, sells a very stout side mount plate and light holder, I have been running it on my Flathead for about 4 years now.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:06 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

I was looking at the plate dilemma yesterday afternoon. Im going to mount it most likely on the right side at or around the end of the swing arm because there's a lot of real estate there by losing the rotor and caliper. Can't run it vertically (not that I want to) and side mount is even debatable with law enforcement but Ill give that a try. I was even debating a swing out plate that I can tuck in or out at the flick of a switch.

Ill check out Custom Dynamics for sure. All Im seeing on line is cheap $8 LED's that promise the moon. No thanks.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:48 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Not a fan of Chinese stuff but the shape of this light is what Im looking for. Contacted Custom Dynamics as well and I might be able to use one of their lights now that they gave me measurements. Ill see how this fits with my current fender plan.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:00 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Total fluke on the light being a close fit, easy to make it like the fender and light were made for each other. Ill probably end up with another as a spare because Im not putting a lot of faith in the quality. I will probably recess the light in further under the fender so its not seen unless its on and you'll clearly see it from the rear. It doesn't have signals incorporated into it so old school bullet lights on the swingarm are most likely the path I go, integral in the headlight though.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:53 PM
Tat2d
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like it was made for it but being a swingarm frame, how are you going to keep the tire from hitting it with so little clearance?

Quick Reply: 82 wide glide bobber build