Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

82 wide glide bobber build

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 02:44 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,727 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Not too bad up here thankfully, the igloo is holding up nicely. Ive been working on my 66 because its closer to being a bike I can ride. Ill be back on the 82 shortly and have added a few parts to the pile of things to go on it. I was looking at it today actually and did some research on my Dyna S ignition after reading in another thread here. I keep reading about VOES but no idea what that is and if its on or off or disconnected or something? Ill look at my current coil to see what I can learn from that because I was told to convert back to points being kick only.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:57 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

wow you are getting a lot of weird advice. VOES is good, it works similar to vacuum advance in an old car. you'd need electronic ignition for that. you can get an electronic ignition programmed for zero dead revs for kick starting. they usually have 3 dead revs so the electric starter can work up some momentum before the first spark. zero revs is just like points, without the maintenance issues, and bad condensers being sold now.

and yes, I'd like to see more of this build too.

Last edited by Joe12RK; 02-23-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:03 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
wow you are getting a lot of weird advice. VOES is good, it works similar to vacuum advance in an old car. you'd need electronic ignition for that. you can get an electronic ignition programmed for zero dead revs for kick starting. they usually have 3 dead revs so the electric starter can work up some momentum before the first spark. zero revs is just like points, without the maintenance issues, and bad condensers being sold now.

and yes, I'd like to see more of this build too.
Thanks for educating me! Mine has no module, just a unit inside where the points would've been, says DynaS on it. Does this mean its 3 dead revs and can't do anything about it without adding an additional module?

Old 02-23-2019, 01:09 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

I will bet that the DS6-1 and DS6-2 ignition modules which are the Dyna S ignition systems from Dynatek, that are made for 70 and later Harley's are both Factory programed for zero dead revs. you have to remember not all Harley's had electric start. A lot of them were kick start back in the day. What I would do though is call Dynatek to confirm..
702-673-4069

Just so you know, the only Dyna ignitions that I remember that have 3 dead revs was the 2000 series..

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 02-23-2019 at 02:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 04:12 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
I will bet that the DS6-1 and DS6-2 ignition modules which are the Dyna S ignition systems from Dynatek, that are made for 70 and later Harley's are both Factory programed for zero dead revs. you have to remember not all Harley's had electric start. A lot of them were kick start back in the day. What I would do though is call Dynatek to confirm..
702-673-4069

Just so you know, the only Dyna ignitions that I remember that have 3 dead revs was the 2000 series..
Ill take it back out and have a look at it to see if there's a model number on it. I would prefer to keep the electronic and also switch my 66 over from points.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:37 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Well the build has been on the back burner while I deal with the 66 that I got far deeper into that I ever imagined and its given me time to think what do I really want with this bike? Ill admit the 66 bit me hard, to the point Im debating selling the TWINKIE and replacing it with a panhead of some iteration. Ive always loved old cars, old houses, steam engines, old guns.....things that were built by talented people with a vision and a passion. I like the vision I have with the bobber turned cafe racer or whatever it is but now Im wanting to change direction mid-build because I don't love it, I like it and Ill probably enjoy looking at it more than riding it folded up like a pocket knife. Im not 18 anymore.

I want a chopper of some sort and I thought do I build this bike in the current direction and finish my 66 properly and get a panhead and build a chopper? I would love to say yes but the reality is Im into cars too and Im beyond up to my eyeballs in them and not getting any younger. Im thinking a weld on hard tail to retain the VIN on the neck and maybe rake it retaining the stock neck with VIN if possible or run the stock neck angle, wide glide front end with 21" wheel and leave it slammed up front. I like that idea but it means Ill still need a real chopper with a 10 over front and raked neck with no front brake. Not sure yet what to do there but I know I want to lose the swing arm and take a different direction. Ill keep the bodywork I made, tuck it away and maybe use it down the road. Ive enjoyed the exercise and don't see it as a waste at all because Ive learned a lot.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:49 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts
Old 03-18-2019, 06:55 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts
Old 03-18-2019, 07:08 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

I do like the tucked in springer front end!

Too many bikes to have and not enough money or space.

Old 01-02-2020, 04:39 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Back on it. Not a New Years resolution, got inspired by a text today wanting me to part it out......not going to happen!

So out came the bins and parts. To be honest I've gone through so many different ideas in my head with this build Im not sure what its going to look like yet. I revisited my aluminum body idea but would alter it again. Because I put different tanks on my 62 just for fun I put the 62 tanks on this bike and of course they look good which gave me more traditional ideas for the build. Thought about building a spitting image of a 70's chopper slugging the frame and putting a weld-on hard tail on it and then back to a bobber build again without a body. Im just glad Im back on the project, the bulk of the mechanicals are ready so it'll look like a bike quickly, just have to figure out the cosmetics.

The open primary is just one of those things I need to get out of my system. Ill be running the forward controls it came with so I shouldn't lose any appendages.

Thinking a Magneto would be cool, no battery, kick only, minimalistic approach.

Quick Reply: 82 wide glide bobber build