Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

82 wide glide bobber build

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 09:37 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

After looks better. I like the shorter appearance.

What strikes me is the extension of the fender rail, from the seat to the tail end.

Can you follow the arch of the tire til the upright rest of the seat and then bring it down to the lower rail?

Old 03-14-2018, 06:47 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,738 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by silveradoman2
After looks better. I like the shorter appearance.

What strikes me is the extension of the fender rail, from the seat to the tail end.

Can you follow the arch of the tire til the upright rest of the seat and then bring it down to the lower rail?
I think I know what you mean but if Im missing your point feel free to explain. Here's another angle. Because there's a compound curve going on I can't have it both ways regardless of viewpoint. The fender follows the arc of the tire as viewed straight on or as it would be seen on the road cruising by. I can tweak it more because its not perfect but I didn't want it to start following the arc immediately from the bottom so Ill leave that the way it is where it just leads into the arc. But vertically and over the top I want it to follow it exactly. The humps on the top to clear the tire shape Im going to alter, especially the one at the backrest, its too high. Right now the other factor that effects the arc is ride height. I need to get tires on it then finalize that arc. Im going to wrap the body with some material of some sort to get a look before I make the final product out of aluminum as well.

Last edited by hellonewman; 03-14-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:19 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master

I was thinking something like this.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:22 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

that would leave a flat pocket to the rear unless your 2 up padding the back it to me would not look right

Old 03-14-2018, 03:55 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by silveradoman2
I was thinking something like this.

Thanks for the explanation but no I don't want that look. I wanted a sloping fender after the seat kicks up. I did two different versions when I was putting ideas on paper and the other had a longer fender that kicked up at the end like the original harley fender had. I like both so I could end up making a few bodies to change it up whenever.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:58 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Don’t judge my drawing ability, I was just doodling in front of the tv one night.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:00 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

I like the overall lines of the middle drawing.

And just a thought. You gonna mock up some mini-turn signals, tail lights and license plate holder so that you get a feel of what the finished product will look like?

Another question. Is it going to be all one piece frame covering and tanks. Means draining tanks to pull the frame cover off anytime you need to get at something or doing maintrenance on it.

Last edited by panz4ever; 03-14-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:07 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

second the middle one its a now thing at any time frame in history

with the nacells I would also try one of those front curved short w shields just for the lines

Old 03-14-2018, 09:09 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master

I like the middle drawing as well.

Must be nice too,

a: draw the idea

b: make it happen

You do have a good eye......

Old 03-14-2018, 10:22 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by panz4ever
I like the overall lines of the middle drawing.

And just a thought. You gonna mock up some mini-turn signals, tail lights and license plate holder so that you get a feel of what the finished product will look like?

Another question. Is it going to be all one piece frame covering and tanks. Means draining tanks to pull the frame cover off anytime you need to get at something or doing maintrenance on it.
The lights not a big deal, I figure low down on the arm and frame legs like many others but have't given it a lot of thought to be honest. That damn plate though, maybe Ill just attach it to my coat! Not sure what Im doing with the plate yet, thats going to be a problem.

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
second the middle one its a now thing at any time frame in history

with the nacells I would also try one of those front curved short w shields just for the lines
The problem with my version of a nacelle in the pics means I can't move the handlebars much. I do like tying in the front somehow though. I could incorporate something into the nacelle that flares out in front of the bars maybe.

Quick Reply: 82 wide glide bobber build