Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

OIl Pump - Pressure Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 02:47 PM
millosman
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OIl Pump - Pressure Switch

Hi

I am wondering if someone could offer some advice on a couple of things relating to the oil pump connectors on my '82 FLTC Shovel please.

There appears to be an extra object on the outlet leading from the pump to the oil pressure switch - see blue item in the photo. This isn't on the parts diagram for the bike. Is it some kind of pressure release valve? If so, I thought there was a pressure release valve already within the engine housing? Any ideas? Is it required?

Second question: When refitting these types of connections, and in particular the oil unions that screw into the engine block just to the left of the oil pump itself, when the connections are tightened up, the hose connector is usually pointing the wrong way! I have experimented with PTFE tape on the threads in a bid to make the connectors tighten up at the right spot so the outlet is pointing the in the right direction and this does seem to work. Is this wise or is there a better way? Suggestions please!

So far, I have only removed the oil pump cover but I would like to remove the pump for inspection. The manual says to remove the Check Valve and Bypass Valves before removing the pump. So far, all attempts at removing these large headed screws that hold these in have come to nothing. Does anyone know if I could remove the pump with these intact and then remove these more easily on the bench once the pump is removed?

Lastly the oil pump cover has a white plastic gasket. Is this reusable?

Hope someone can offer some help. Many thanks in advance,

Andy

Old 12-13-2017, 05:10 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

andy - take all that off the pump and just reinstall the light switch - who cares what they were doing and they were drinking as well

I always use the pipe paste - 567 Loctite its never gets pieces of tape floating around in the oil system to become a thing

never liked plastic gaskets if they come with anything I order we chuck them - don't be a tight *** buy a set of new james gaskets

Old 12-13-2017, 08:52 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

What John said, that blue gizmo is blind cap for the flared fitting on that brass tee, somebody did a little monkey rigging to run a oil line somewhere, probably an attempt at an oil gauge.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:40 AM
millosman
4th Gear
Default Thank you

Many thanks for your replies.

Do you know if the complete pump can be removed with the check/return valves still in position?

cheers

Andy

Old 12-14-2017, 06:42 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

yes but getting it back in is the trick as the end clip has a special toll to install it ( AND ) - the cam cover of the front lifter block has to be removed just so you can hold the shaft in as you install the clip on the other end for the end gear -- look at what parts are in the pump in your parts book

Old 12-15-2017, 04:07 AM
millosman
4th Gear
Default Thanks

Many thanks John. The manual doesn't mention this tricky manoeuvre! Are there any online parts books available do you know? I've been using Ronnie's Harley Davidson website so far. Is there anything better?
cheers. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:03 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

the older OEM books are a thing to get anymore, pricy and falling apart

if you do find an original you can always copy it and put it in the plastic covers then a binder. takes up a little more room for me but it keeps it all together and in good shape

Old 12-15-2017, 05:30 AM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

I found this site where a lot of old Harley manuals are available in PDF. The HD shop manual for 78-84 Shovelhead is near the bottom of the list. After download, I printed a copy to put in a binder to use on the bench.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:35 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cobra1
I found this site where a lot of old Harley manuals are available in PDF. The HD shop manual for 78-84 Shovelhead is near the bottom of the list. After download, I printed a copy to put in a binder to use on the bench.
you should post up a link if you still have one as some of the guys can benefit from something like that

Old 12-15-2017, 04:35 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,810 Likes on 3,315 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
you should post up a link if you still have one as some of the guys can benefit from something like that
Here you go John. Give this site a try. I have downloaded many service and parts manuals... Great tool...
http://carlsalter.com/harley-service-manuals.asp

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 12-15-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: OIl Pump - Pressure Switch