Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1971 Super Glide Club

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 04:17 PM
97stalker
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

well, i'm happy to report i think i found an OEM style exhaust system. Looks like Paughco makes the headpipe as well as the muffler. not too bad on price either...

Old 01-31-2018, 04:26 PM
97stalker
Tourer

Originally Posted by mrlexus
No doubt it is/was a nice bike, and one of the best examples I've seen. I don't want to pick bike apart, it's awesome, and anyone who owns it should be thrilled. The things that aren't perfect are easy too, so it won't be hard for the new owner to really make it cherry. But someday this info might help a guy in a restoration. Here's what I see in looking at the pictures: wrong hose clamps, should be a pinch clamp; master cylinder is black, should be natural grey; VIN tag is black, there were only silver VIN tags back then; wrong kicker arm, should be panhead style; wrong dash; decal should say 'Parking Lights' instead of Accessories; (you can also always tell original dash and eyebrow decals too, because the are metal and ribbed. repops are just printed stickers) wrong finish on petcock; appear to be repop gas caps; I can't tell if the decals are cleared over, but technically they were not from the factory.

I'm also glad that it went for 33k, I'll use that to up the stated value on the insurance.

I do have one or two original exhausts. If I have two spares, I'll let you know and perhaps we can work something out. I won't be able to look for a couple months though.

Here's mine with the accessory fiberglass fender. Super rare.
Wow, that fender must make it a 1 of 1! Never saw it and would never have known it was an HD piece. My bike is certainly not stock, but at the same time, all of the "mods" on it were from the 70's vintage when the 2nd owner bought it in '74...the chrome rims, chrome swingarm, chrome oil bag. when i bought it last year, it was minus the Sparkling America decals. i found a guy who makes the re-pops and bought the set. they are very accurate including the "ribbed" ignition decal and headlight hood decal. the one that is not is the tank console decal...the orig "1" was almost flourescent and the new one is more orange/red. But damn if i don't get a crowd around it and have a hoot riding it. they only made about 4700 new and i'd love to know how many boat tails actually still exist? i did have my painter clearcoat over the decals, but that's because i wanted to preserve them and i have an unhealthy relationship with my random orbit buffer and LOVE to wax these bikes til it blinds you!

Last edited by 97stalker; 01-31-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:39 PM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 97stalker
well, i'm happy to report i think i found an OEM style exhaust system. Looks like Paughco makes the headpipe as well as the muffler. not too bad on price either...
nobody repops that superglide pipe that I have seen. What’s the link to the paughco one?

My friend has a Cnc tube bending company, and when he gets a bigger bender, I’m going to start making some from my original one.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:59 PM
97stalker
Tourer

Just google Paughco. Their whole catalog is online. They sell the headpipe. It’s $500. The muffler is $88.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:52 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain

Just google Paughco. Their whole catalog is online. They sell the headpipe. It’s $500. The muffler is $88.
You're right! They must have just added it this year, great for guys needing one. The oem pipe is not what I'd called high quality, you can see wire wheel marks around the weld areas, and the chrome was not what I'd called a quality plating job. I'm sure the Paughco one is a better part than the original. Make sure you get the correct style seamed and crimped muffler, and that it's the right length. I've seen a few different ones.

To be honest, I'm not running the oem muffler on mine, I don't like the sound of it, (the aftermarket mufflers are an open baffle vs the stock plugged) and they will hold a lot of heat in, which Blues the pipe after time where it comes together. When I switched mufflers I had to lean out the main one or two sizes, and those long tube jets can be hard to come by; nobody makes them anymore. Just look up the part number in the catalog and search the Internet for used ones.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:01 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain

Wow, that fender must make it a 1 of 1! Never saw it and would never have known it was an HD piece. My bike is certainly not stock, but at the same time, all of the "mods" on it were from the 70's vintage when the 2nd owner bought it in '74...the chrome rims, chrome swingarm, chrome oil bag. when i bought it last year, it was minus the Sparkling America decals. i found a guy who makes the re-pops and bought the set. they are very accurate including the "ribbed" ignition decal and headlight hood decal. the one that is not is the tank console decal...the orig "1" was almost flourescent and the new one is more orange/red. But damn if i don't get a crowd around it and have a hoot riding it. they only made about 4700 new and i'd love to know how many boat tails actually still exist? i did have my painter clearcoat over the decals, but that's because i wanted to preserve them and i have an unhealthy relationship with my random orbit buffer and LOVE to wax these bikes til it blinds you!
Can you post close ups of the ribbed eyebrow and dash decals? I'd like to see them. Thanks

Old 02-01-2018, 08:33 AM
roach
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 71 Fx Handlebars

Hi all.
Im looking for a correct set of "Buckhorn" handlebars for my 71 Super Glide. If you have a set or know of a set for sale I would appreciate a heads up.

Roach

I have a fair amount of leftover parts from my restoration. let me know what you're looking for

Old 02-01-2018, 09:44 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain

Originally Posted by roach
Hi all.
Im looking for a correct set of "Buckhorn" handlebars for my 71 Super Glide. If you have a set or know of a set for sale I would appreciate a heads up.

Roach

I have a fair amount of leftover parts from my restoration. let me know what you're looking for
I have some. I don't know how nice your bike is; I would condition these as good shape, rider quality. If they were going on a fresh resto, I would probably have them re-chromed with the rest of the pieces.

Attached Thumbnails 1971 Super Glide Club-img_8305.jpg  
Old 02-01-2018, 09:49 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain

More photos.

Attached Thumbnails 1971 Super Glide Club-_572.jpg   1971 Super Glide Club-s-l1600.jpg   1971 Super Glide Club-canvas.png   1971 Super Glide Club-pm0714-191616_1.jpg   1971 Super Glide Club-super-glide.jpg  

Old 02-01-2018, 10:22 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain

Catalog page for the fiberglass front fender....

Attached Thumbnails 1971 Super Glide Club-fx-catalog.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1971 Super Glide Club