Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Hey, from Baltimore, MD

Old 04-05-2018, 05:28 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,784 Likes on 3,300 Posts

Very nice......

Old 04-05-2018, 04:06 PM
Papamud
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Same bike, though the seat is different nowadays. Same bike a few years ago.
1978. First bike I ever rode.

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Sounds like a sweet ride. Congrats and welcome.... The Barnett is what it is... If it runs good I wouldn't mess with it till theres an issue.... Sounds like it was well kept.... Pics would be nice?
This clutch is really hard to engage... what could I look at first as a way of lightening it up a little?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-06-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:33 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,784 Likes on 3,300 Posts

You can try to contact Barnett to see what your springs are rated at and go from there to decrease spring pressure a little...

Old 04-06-2018, 12:06 PM
scooper321
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Papamud
So, I started her up tonight and she ran great! Got some bugs to iron out, but I'd happily ride it on the road once those bugs are taken care of.

I need to bleed the brakes and fill with fresh fluid, and the brake light (rear) works when either brake is engaged, but not as a running light, so I have that to figure out. Otherwise, life is good!

She's got the original pipes from 1975 and they were loud, but gorgeous!

Scooper, I'm on the edge of Homeland, near Loyola and Notre Dame. between York Rd. and Charles.

Always up for a ride!

The oil looked clean as a damn whistle, no rust in the tank, tires are fine... I probably need to pull the solenoid and clean it up, check the timing, run a can of seafoam through the SnS and throw some new plugs in, but she ran so sweet, I'm kind of reluctant to mess with it too much!

The clutch is HEAVY. I need to beef my left hand up some, because that Barnett is a beast. Y'all think it'll loosen up a little with some use?

PapaM
Glad it's going well! My 1980 ran pretty well when I got her in Sept, too. But she leaked, so gasket replacement is on my list at a minimum. I am also replacing every rubber hose and line and will replace every wire (brittle). I had to replace the upper triple tree, as the one I had was severely cracked. Fortunately, didn't appear to be from any impact. But that got me into a full front end tear down. Brake discs were below the min, calipers frozen, etc. I replaced the bearings and am putting Tokico calipers on the front. About done the rebuild of the front end (having trouble identifying and getting the correct fitting for my master cylinder) and THEN I can finally get into the engine. Although with all the fun I'm having on bearings, maybe I'll go work on the rear end first!

Old 04-07-2018, 12:31 PM
Papamud
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Scooper, When you're up and running, let's get a ride in. I have some routine maintenance to do which I reckon will reveal anything major that might need doing, but until I find something, I'm going to wait to worry.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:03 PM
ccislander
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts

For your clutch, I'd start out by taking the clutch out and cleaning all the plates and clutch shell and pressure plate, reinstalling and adjusting as per the manual. Make sure the cable is well lubricated. A good cleaning and proper adjustment solves most clutch problems on bikes that have been sitting for a while.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:39 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,771 Likes on 17,440 Posts

Welcome to the Old School hood and congrates on the bike, do love my shovels. Lube the cable yearly, you'll find a lot of clutch issues relate to a dry sticky cable.

PS B-town was my hometown till 72, ran in the Fells Point / Patterson Park area.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:45 PM
scooper321
Road Master

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
PS B-town was my hometown till 72, ran in the Fells Point / Patterson Park area.
You wouldn't recognize the place now. Fells and Canton are the "in" places to be these days. Every other house in Canton has either been rehabbed or is being rehabbed. Fells is the destination for the more trendy.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:11 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,771 Likes on 17,440 Posts

Originally Posted by scooper321
You wouldn't recognize the place now. Fells and Canton are the "in" places to be these days. Every other house in Canton has either been rehabbed or is being rehabbed. Fells is the destination for the more trendy.
Was deep hood in my day, remember the day we finally got the old man to move out that rowhouse by the park took a load off my mind.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:30 PM
scooper321
Road Master

Patterson Park is still a mix. Lots of beautiful homes, many being rehabbed. But still a mix. It's better if you're on a "South" street instead of a "North". But the Norths are improving, too.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (04-15-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hey, from Baltimore, MD