Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

71 FLH Shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 12:08 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

I have a S&S Super B carb on a 96 stroker 4 plug engine....think the carb is too small for the stroker. Thinking of replacing the carb to Super E....are manifold, air cleaner, mounting hardware the same/interchangeable i.e. I only need to carb? Just trying to determine if I need to buy the whole kit or just the carb. Thanks in advance to the help.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:05 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Replaced my black rusted exhaust system with a Paughco 38" Tapered Exhaust System 734TM. Easy install. I love chrome.... Also tried to replace my engine guard to chrome but the OEM one I bought did not fit although the supplier claimed it came from a 71 FLH...darn ebay so just bought an after-market direct replacement from Dennis Kirk. Don't feel too bad since supplier listed the guard for $225 and I countered with $100 shipped and he accepted. Now to get those TS working and the bike to start lol.....

Last edited by hscic; 06-23-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:08 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

while the manifold is the same - in its mounting to the carb - the air filter is not - you could swap out the super B choke for the E choke but reaching it is a thing, as the E is a shorty and is under the fuel tank more compared to the B

so if you don't buy the kit its about the same money with out the intake manifold - plus yours is possibly special - you did say its a stroker 96 but you did not post the flywheel numbers to confirm

The following users liked this post:
hscic (06-23-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 01:14 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
while the manifold is the same - in its mounting to the carb - the air filter is not - you could swap out the super B choke for the E choke but reaching it is a thing, as the E is a shorty and is under the fuel tank more compared to the B

so if you don't buy the kit its about the same money with out the intake manifold - plus yours is possibly special - you did say its a stroker 96 but you did not post the flywheel numbers to confirm
Thanks. I normally don't need to use choke as we have warm weather year around. But if I need to replace the air cleaner, I might as well look for a kit.

The only ID I can find is the crankcase ID #19507876 which is consistent with the Manufacturers' Certificate of Orign. Manufacturer is STD Development, Inc sold through Custom Chrome. Model #1976 manufactured in 1988. I sent STD an email to help me identify and perhaps retrieve more information on what I have. I am only taking the PO's word that it is a 96, but can validate that I do have 4 plugs and a Super B carb. Here is a pic.

I am clueless when it comes to the motor as I have never rebuilt one. Where is the flywheel ID....can you see the number if your open the timing cover?

Last edited by hscic; 06-24-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:30 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Electrical Mystery...I connected my turn signals and got it to work properly BUT it is not consistent. Here is what happens...I turn on the ignition switch to lights, horn works and signals work. Then a moment later no horn no turn signals. I am charging my new battery since I have been trying to start the bike for some time now. My headlight always works when the switch is on to lights, but not the horn or turn signals... anyone have a clue as to what is going on.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:00 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

the reason they were not connected is its shorted some place - remove one bulb at a time and see if they come on or not pop the circuit braker

remove the timing plug and rotate the engine they will show up in the hole

The following users liked this post:
hscic (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 04:47 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

the reason they were not connected is its shorted some place - remove one bulb at a time and see if they come on or not pop the circuit braker

remove the timing plug and rotate the engine they will show up in the hole
I will try removing the bulbs one at a time. Where is the circuit breaker...by the battery?

don't know what you mean by this..."remove the timing plug and rotate the engine they will show up in the hole" Obviously, I know very little about these shovels..timing plug?

Seems you are the keeper of this forum and the guru on shovels....I appreciate the help.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:05 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

you need the factory service and parts so you can see what the proper names for things are and read what to do when given advice

left side of engine at the top of the V it has a plug you can remove to set the timing with a timing light - timing plug

Old 06-24-2018, 06:15 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

I played around with the wiring and found the cause.

My TS wire violet and brown from the terminal block was connected to the 6 prong toggle (assuming for emergency flashers). Because these two wires were not coming from the same ports on the board as the manual, I tapped into these wires to connect my front TS while still connected to the toggle. I removed the wires from the toggle and walla, worked as it should.

Thanks for the help. Yes I know I need to replace my old wiring. Actually need to redo the whole electrical since not everything works as it should like my passing lamp, flashers, etc. But will start at the ignition switch when I replace.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:27 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

you need the factory service and parts so you can see what the proper names for things are and read what to do when given advice

left side of engine at the top of the V it has a plug you can remove to set the timing with a timing light - timing plug
Yes, I need to do more reading....however, I used the 1980 and 2011 Sportster manuals and as compared to the 1971 FLH manual, the 71 service manual and parts catalog sucks IMHO. Descriptions are vague and instructions are something to be desired, but that is probably just me. That is why I asked so many questions on the forum....to find out from those who have actually done the work or who have experience with these bikes.

Thank you for the explanation and help.

Quick Reply: 71 FLH Shovelhead