Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

71 FLH Shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 08:45 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

many of the guys on this site are extremely helpful and very knowledgeable not much someone wont know the deal

The following users liked this post:
hscic (06-24-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 09:49 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

The part guy at the dealership took out the part catalog for my shovel and it was not the same as the one I was using. Darn, can't even buy the correct manual LOL. I purchased the microfiche version and downloaded the manual. My apology for my previous comments about the manual. Perhaps now I can get moving and ask less questions on the forum. However, I appreciate the input and help on here....you guys are awesome.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:52 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Replaced my engine guard from black to chrome.

Been having issues starting the bike for a while. I know I need spark, fuel, and compression so started with spark...look what my spark plugs - horrible.

Replaced all four plugs and tested each for spark....all good but still did not start. Moved on to fuel....removed air cleaner and I could not see fuel shooting into the carb when throttling so I shot carb cleaning into the carb and tried to start the bike...it start right up. Turn it off then started it again and started right up again. Played with the thtottle to determine if it were responsive. Seems to be all good. But I have a leak (oil) under the bike so need to address that next. At least it starts....so I can ride.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:25 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Got my passing lamps hooked up correctly
. Now have to figure out the harzard/emergency flasher switch which is a 6 terminal on/on toggle.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:34 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Replaced my ignition switch that was missing keys when I bought the bike to a Fatbob 5 terminal Ignition Switch #495611 that I bought from the dealership. Direct aftermarket replacement for stock switch. Installation went seamlessly although I did taped up all the cracks and holes and had a magnetic tray close by to place the screws as a precaution.

Last edited by hscic; 07-01-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:52 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

if you have an old wheel tire tube - you can cut a circle out of it and place it around the ignition switch so none of the terminals decides to ground out on the dash top < it happens

The following users liked this post:
hscic (07-01-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 09:51 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
if you have an old wheel tire tube - you can cut a circle out of it and place it around the ignition switch so none of the terminals decides to ground out on the dash top < it happens
Thanks for the suggestion...did not think that could happen. Today is my last day at the dealership so better go look for an old tube. You would think the factory would have thought about that and lined the inside of the dash. Thanks again.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:28 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hscic
Replaced my engine guard from black to chrome.

Been having issues starting the bike for a while. I know I need spark, fuel, and compression so started with spark...look what my spark plugs - horrible.

Replaced all four plugs and tested each for spark....all good but still did not start. Moved on to fuel....removed air cleaner and I could not see fuel shooting into the carb when throttling so I shot carb cleaning into the carb and tried to start the bike...it start right up. Turn it off then started it again and started right up again. Played with the thtottle to determine if it were responsive. Seems to be all good. But I have a leak (oil) under the bike so need to address that next. At least it starts....so I can ride.
I replaced my left 2 spark plugs ACCEL 115 with AC DELCO R42XLS and my right 2 spark plugs ACCEL 137 with AC DELCO R43S. Used AC Delco just because that was all I could find at the moment.

Any preference to brands good, bad, or indifferent? Are AC Delco plugs decent or should I get better plugs like NGK or Bosch?

Old 07-03-2018, 07:06 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

plugs and oil are on the same page if you ask you will be told something different then you chose for what ever reason

Old 07-03-2018, 08:24 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Yes I realize there are a lot of opinions out there, but perhaps there are a few with the technical knowledge to provide factual information (vs opinion) as an indication of quality...because I certainly don't know.. I know enough just to get by....so this is part of the learning process...I am a sponge at this point but will validate before use. What do you use on your rides?

Always appreciate any input from forum members.

Last edited by hscic; 07-03-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 71 FLH Shovelhead