Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

71 FLH Shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 08:18 AM
FL54
Road Master
Received 421 Likes on 290 Posts

I bought two bikes with aftermarket exhaust with fishtails. Never did like them as they were too loud and didn't look right to me. Over time, I was able to pick up 2 OEM exhausts. They both went on easy and fit right. You can't go wrong with OEM parts. You just have to be patient. They do come along on eBay. The last pieces lI bought were a front and rear header pipe for $40 in good shape.

The following users liked this post:
hscic (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 08:19 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
First, test fit the OEM pipe with everything else you have for the exhasut. if it all bolts up happy, happy, send the OEM pipe out for chrome.
I am hoping the chrome is in decent condition so I can clean it up and polish.....did that with aluminum foil and soda on a spoke wheel and rim that had surface rush all over lol....it works. Came out like-new but now I use 0000 steel wool and metal polish. Seller claims chrome may be able to be clean up since it was stored high and dry for 25 years.. Also since we have no chrome shops in the state, I would have to send it out of state to get it chromed which would be rather costly. I can get the OEM crossover pictured for $87 shipped so not too bad. If I need to get it chromed, I might as well wait until I get my a response to my request from Paughco or buy a V-twin crossover (sold separately) for about $125 new.

Originally Posted by pjb
Not sure why you are having so many problems.
First set of Paughco pipes you couldn't get the rear pipe installed.
Now, with a different style of Paughco pipes, you are having rear pipe fit problems again.
My experience is that Paughco makes a good product that fits well.
That's why I keep suggesting you have someone help you.
Yeah me too (don't know why I am having so many issues)...my first set of Paughco was a 2-2 734TM and it was an easy install. I believe the conclusion on this dual head pipe exhaust system was an improperly made crossover. So it's not the mechanic LOL. I always try to do it myself and do it right the first time....and there are very few shops now that work on shovels..even the dealership won't take it. I took the shovel to an indy shop the last time and when riding home it died three times and got stuck on the road and my hand brake control wasn't screwed in tightly so it was rotating on the bar..good thing my brake lever didn't fall off. So finding help is not very promising....which is why I opt to get a replacement crossover....did I mention it's not the mechanic LOL....so now just trying to determine whether to wait for Paughco's response or just buy OEM on ebay or a new aftermarket from V-Twin. Did I mentioned i can't ride the bike without pipes lol.

Last edited by hscic; 02-26-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:40 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Bought the OEM crossover for $87 shipped. Seller countered and said shipping to my location is not cheap and pipe is nice in good shape. We will see...

Still have not gotten my restored HD speedo back from John Bordas so I still have some time before I can ride anyway.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:42 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

what did you do with the set you couldn't make fit?

Old 02-26-2019, 09:02 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FL54
I bought two bikes with aftermarket exhaust with fishtails. Never did like them as they were too loud and didn't look right to me. Over time, I was able to pick up 2 OEM exhausts. They both went on easy and fit right. You can't go wrong with OEM parts. You just have to be patient. They do come along on eBay. The last pieces lI bought were a front and rear header pipe for $40 in good shape.
Thanks...wow $40 in good shape for OEM....good find. For me, I have only one bike so don't have the patience to wait around for a good deal or for a response from Paughco lol....and I pay the price for it. As mentioned above, I bought the OEM crossover so will see fitment when it comes in.,,,hopefully the other sections of the Paughco system is to OEM specs. .

Old 02-26-2019, 09:14 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by pjb
what did you do with the set you couldn't make fit?
I believe the set I am trying to fit now (Paughco 735-1) is the one I can't make fit due to the crossover. The only other set I had on this bike was the Paughco 2-2 38" tapered exhaust system 734TM which went on fine since it came with the mounting bracket, hardware, and floorboard adapter.

Last edited by hscic; 02-26-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:24 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

I thought you were the one that had the Paughco 735D set, with the rear S pipe that you couldn't fit. Maybe I'm confused.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:41 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hscic
Yeah, I am sure it will fit through if I take off my carb which sticks out some...I have a Super B. I believe the dual crossovers are correct for the bike anyway so going that route...just a lot more costly.

My independent true duals sold on CL in one day....got a few serious inquires....a lot more shovels out there than I thought lol.

Thanks for the help.
These were the pipes I was referring to. You couldn't make the rear pipe fit and sold them. Now the new set has rear pipe fit issues as well.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:01 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by pjb
These were the pipes I was referring to. You couldn't make the rear pipe fit and sold them. Now the new set has rear pipe fit issues as well.
ahh yes, forgot about those true duals...my bad. Good memory...how soon I forget...my memory must be going haha. That is the reason I picked up the Paughco dual crossover 735-1 at your recommendation.

I never got those true duals installed because of my Super B carb and was not willing to remove the carb every time I needed to remove the pipes so not a fitment issue per say but more of an installation issue.

Last edited by hscic; 02-26-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:34 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Here is Paughco's responses...the guy that I emailed must be one of the owners/managers....

You would get both the tab and crossover pipe separate from one another and you weld it in place to match the primary.

I think your solenoid is the problem.

I believe the crossover pipe hits the solenoid on 70 - 71 models, creating a problem fitment to primary.

I took your photo copys to my pipe bender, and he is looking into it.

Last edited by hscic; 02-26-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 71 FLH Shovelhead