Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

My new 66 FLH

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 09:16 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,896 Likes on 2,552 Posts

To help you fund your restoration work, I would be happy to buy that Police hand shifter from you when you get it off the bike. Some inspiration, my 1970 FLH that was closer to stock then yours when I got it, and in the past two years I have been improving that situtation with OP tanks and other goodies. Buy the stock shovel stuff now before they start getting Knuckle prices for them. This is her in Daytona this year.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:14 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,727 Likes on 2,469 Posts

I might take you up on the offer but I do need to find out more about the bike first. Was it a police bike? No idea. I went to the dealer today and they can't search that far back to give me any info like original colour etc. They did on my 82 wide glide but couldn't on this one. I guess when I sand the paint off it'll be like an archeological dig. Pierce's site shows only 5 colours for 66 which, figured there would be more options.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:16 AM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by Architect
To help you fund your restoration work, I would be happy to buy that Police hand shifter from you when you get it off the bike. Some inspiration, my 1970 FLH that was closer to stock then yours when I got it, and in the past two years I have been improving that situtation with OP tanks and other goodies. Buy the stock shovel stuff now before they start getting Knuckle prices for them. This is her in Daytona this year.
Looks great!

Old 07-20-2018, 03:09 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by 72fl
I'm not a fan of that type of Apes, in my opinion it takes away from the bike appearance, NICE find. I have 2 piece bars with internal throttle from a 72 if you decide you want to go that way.
Yes of course im interested. I sent you a PM this morning.

Thanks

Old 07-20-2018, 03:25 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Can you tell I like the bike? A bugs eye view.

How do you get the head pipe off? Without cutting the legs off that is......

Last edited by hellonewman; 07-20-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:32 PM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,312 Likes on 3,302 Posts

Wow, I love love love it!! Congrats on a great find.

The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 04:54 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Can you tell I like the bike? A bugs eye view.

How do you get the head pipe off? Without cutting the legs off that is......
the only way it comes off and when I tell you its a palm to the forehead

you remove the floor board and its rear mount that bolts to the frame
you remove the muffler then the connecting pipe ( squish pipe ) to both front and rear exhaust - by turning it out ward and down towards the floorboard rear mount and pull it out -- the squish pipe comes out from under the frame / cam cover -- at that point - sometimes the rear exhaust has to be removed as well but that system looks aftermarket so it may just pop out

Old 07-20-2018, 05:05 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
the only way it comes off and when I tell you its a palm to the forehead

you remove the floor board and its rear mount that bolts to the frame
you remove the muffler then the connecting pipe ( squish pipe ) to both front and rear exhaust - by turning it out ward and down towards the floorboard rear mount and pull it out -- the squish pipe comes out from under the frame / cam cover -- at that point - sometimes the rear exhaust has to be removed as well but that system looks aftermarket so it may just pop out
Thanks and I dont doubt its aftermarket. Not holding my breath for a real one but if taking the chrome off and making it black gave me the look then I would do that. That said, if its supposed to have true duals then that'll probably be one of the details I leave incorrect because I like the look, suits the era I think. I have a lot of googling to do and Ill be thumbing through the shop manual too....

Old 07-20-2018, 06:29 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Nice find there. Couple of more things for your "to do" list if you choose (that's in addition to what has been posted already). That's an aftermarket rear brake master cylinder. OEM is Warner Lockheed and are painted black. I believe the brake pedal assemblies should not be chrome; the mounting plate...yes, but not the componenets (excluding spring of course).

Floorboards for your year are the rectangular type with the flat mats.

Black kicker arm and return spring. Chrome cover for the spring.

Oil pump is later.

Not sure what those knarly ***** that are on your right side rocker boxes, but those have to go. Should be a domed nut that takes and allen wrench.

Brake drum backing plate should be black painted as should the wheel hubs. No chrome axles.

Not sure if your muffler is aftermarket. I'll dig thru some of my stuff and see if I still have an original for a 2-1 exhaust. The end is definitely different than the "extra quiet" type recommended for use soley on the dual exhaust system. Is your squish pipe and y-connection to the muffler a single piece or two? My 65 uses the single piece pipe. I'll dig and see if I have an extra one and post a pic.

Nice thing is that you have a running machine to enjoy. Definitely ride it and collect parts and over a few winters put her on the stand and add correct components. it may take a few years but if your persist it will pay off.

Oh and lastly herz a link for what John was referring to re: colors.

http://hdpaint.tk

Last edited by panz4ever; 07-20-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:37 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Nice find there. Couple of more things for your "to do" list if you choose. That's an aftermarket rear brake master cylinder. OEM is Warner Lockheed and are painted black. I believe the brake pedal assemblies should not be chrome; the mounting plate...yes, but not the componenets (excluding spring of course).

Floorboards for your year are the rectangular type with the flat mats.

Black kicker arm and return spring. Chrome cover for the spring.

Oil pump is later.

Not sure what those knarly ***** that are on your right side rocker boxes, but those have to go. Should be a domed nut that takes and allen wrench.

Brake drum backing plate should be black painted as should the wheel hubs. No chrome axles.

Not sure if your muffler is aftermarket. I'll dig thru some of my stuff and see if I still have an original for a 2-1 exhaust. The end is definitely different than the "extra quiet" type recommended for use soley on the dual exhaust system. Is your squish pipe and y-connection to the muffler a single piece or two? My 65 uses the single piece pipe. I'll dig and see if I have an extra one and post a pic.

Thank you

I knew the hubs, rims, rear drum and plate are probably taiwan ted and yes its chromed out. I wondered about the rocker bolts, my other one has the allen key version.

What I want to do right away is get the bars, controls and mousetrap on the bike.

The head pipe is one piece. Would love to see pics of the right stuff.

Quick Reply: My new 66 FLH