Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

My new 66 FLH

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 04:29 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

hellonewman, sent you a pm

Old 03-20-2019, 07:14 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,735 Likes on 2,471 Posts

After looking at countless pics and seeing pretty much no two alike and hearing that dealers put accessories on these bikes just like the dealers do today, I was wondering if anyone could show me a pic of what one would be like from the factory before it was tarted up by the dealer? For example you look in the parts book and the FLH front hub cap is a small thing no bigger than the hub. I was told the bags and fairings are white because the bikes didn't come with bags, they were dealer installed and the latch style depended on what the dealer had in stock. No wiring schematic for signals because the bike didn't come with them from the factory. Did they all come with the buddy seat? So when a 66 FLH was delivered to the dealer in a crate (I assume) what did it have and what didn't it have on it?

Did it have bags and guards?
Did it have the large hub cap or did the dealer always install that?
Chrome cover over kicker spring?
Signals?
Fairing or windshield?
I was told they came with a rear hub cap and front hub cap, the small one only.
Buddy seat or solo or was that an FL vs FLH thing?
If all FLH's had dual exahust other than a cop bike I guess it had bags then?
Did they have a front fender lower trim that said FLH on it and did the FL have nothing?

Not that Ill ever have mine judged but when a bike is judged are the accessories taken into consideration and deemed original or not or should the bike be simplified to be correct?

Old 03-20-2019, 07:41 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman

That heads clean, extras sets I have both need seats replaced.

The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 07:43 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,585 Likes on 9,807 Posts

My mom had a 66 Chevelle back in the day. 283 Powerglide, was a two door hardtop....

Old 03-20-2019, 12:50 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Front end and bars arrived. Im happy but at first I wasn't when I saw the -48 on the lower tree. I swear I must've pouted like a 3 year old. The cowl fit the replacement forks and the cowbell position looks good but it isnt with the other front end that came on my bike despite the same forging numbers. I noticed the underside of the lower tree is machined flat vs a step in the tin front trees so its the same forging number but machined differently, fun times and thanks Harley. It moved the cowbell cap up under the cowl line. I could've machined the tree to fit the cowbell now that I see the difference but I got all the other stuff I needed too so its all good. Mirrors say Harley Davidson on the stems. Some switches are repop and one lever bracket.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:39 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

66 came with up right windshield and clear bottom - colors for the bottom was an add on - or a bat wing in white or black as well as the bags and they came with the rap around bag guards - fender chrome tips and bumpers as well from the factory - the directionals were an option till 1968 when they were mandated by the US government - then some time later they mandated 4 way flashers to be attached as well thinking 70 something but have seen them on flat sides in an add on as the wiring is not conforming to the diagram

OEM wiring is cotton rapped plastic all of it except the battery connections - and they did not have a circuit breaker of fuses - but we add one behind the battery box 30 amp does the entire machine - battery to breaker to ignition switch

the big hub cap is correct and its OEM as the re pop does not have the hole for the hub bolts

watch the bolt length on the nacelles the top if you over haul the forks the top cap will have an indent in the flat from the bolt hitting it on one spot - you can mark it and machine it out so another 3 threads can be used on the bolt length < when you get to it you will see what I am talking about

the one bolt on the lower tree is for the horn to rubber mount - black tape the flasher to the wiring as no provision was ever made for flashers

lower fender trim is correct - the kicker spring is black and no cover as well as the kicker its self is black

seat - the buddy seat is way better in comfort but you sit HI But you can sit back if your tall - the solo is more to my liking in its look and I end up on the back bolster when I ride one - both came most had the buddy seat from Harley in black or white in both and most were blended in colors white bags black seat kind of thing

never seen one with a rear hub cap as a correct delivered machine

you must have been told this stuff on saint paddys day

Old 03-20-2019, 07:09 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Thank you! I wondered about the kicker but forgot to ask. Ill fix that on mine.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:00 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Front fork questions. These 68 tubes are not like the new ones you get today, or at least they don't look like them. These ones had a rust discoloration between the trees. Whats the deal?

Also, just like my 82 and my TWINKIE the sliders look to be coated with something that puts a yellow tint on the aluminum. The 82 is clearly worn off on the front facing section just like these 68 sliders. I thought anodized at first but I figure a clear coat of some sort.

Opinions welcome.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:37 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

the early tubes did not have a good metal coating and they rusted

yes they were cleared but do not know with what exactly and no one dupes the look - they originally had a dull shine incapsulated in clear

Old 03-21-2019, 07:48 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
the early tubes did not have a good metal coating and they rusted

yes they were cleared but do not know with what exactly and no one dupes the look - they originally had a dull shine incapsulated in clear
I dont feel like keeping the right look all the time so Ill clear them! Call me lazy.

Quick Reply: My new 66 FLH