Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Needing inspiration.....and cash!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 10:23 AM
Loyd Pittman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
What do you actually have?
carl
Carl, this is how she is sitting at the moment.....Literally in a barn....
I technically have everything to put it back together as far as parts....except for a coil that i loaned a "friend" a couple years ago, to get off the side of the road. The tanks leak. trans case has a welded repair that leaks. nothing on the dash works except for the key switch. Rear brake master cyl. leaks. hate the skinny fender on front. want to go to the fat fender and tire up front. saddle bags are in really rough shape. floorboards need all the rubber replaced. headlight bezel looks like someone took 50 grit to it....etc etc.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:32 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Loyd Pitman, have a dash cover, 16" rim and chrome spokes (both aftermarket but never used jiust cuz I decided to stick with the original) but that hub should work with some fresh seals and maybe bearings, set of unchromed rocker arm end shaft screws (the mismash ones you have are definitely ugly), rear brake master cylinder rebuild kit (but before you rebuild you need to make sure your bore is clean and not pitted so you are not throwing money down a hole).

I'd definitely go with an ebay find electrical harness (they are really cheap) Ones I have used are all color coded correctly. Just copy the electrical diagram from the service manual, blow it uo to like 3 feet, use color pencils to match the diagram and you can easily wire the bike.

Looks like S&S flywheels. You can go to their site and decode what they are exactly.

I would dump the dorkey windscreen for sure and eventually replace it with something else.

I am not a chrome type guy so I would clean and polish all the aluminum parts, take the rest of the bike completely apart, have the frame power blasted to get rid of all the grime and grease and start putting it back together. Doesn't look as though you are missing much, carb and some gaskets, few other odds and ends, but is definitely something you should do sooner, not later.

Fuel tanks can easily be repaired by a radiator shop, trannys are an easy take apart and put back together (just looks/seems like a lot of stuff).

I'll get some pics up for you later this week.

The 78-1/2 looked like this 6 months ago

Last edited by panz4ever; 10-14-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Loyd Pittman
6th Gear

Thanks for the info....I do agree with your "ugly" comment!!! It was pretty ugly when got it....I do have ALL the parts to put it back together. It was running when I pulled it down to put gaskets on the oil pump and found a broken stud in the block. you can see that its missing one of them in the pic of the block half that is laying down. Its repaired and now i just have to start cleaning it up and making sure i haven't lost any parts!!!! LOL!

Old 10-20-2018, 05:48 PM
Loyd Pittman
6th Gear

I want to go back to the fender/tire style that Dirt612 has on the bike he posted above. Looking at my front end, do any of you know if that would be a straight swap or will I need to change the front end up, as well? I also want the faring style that Dirt612 has...

Old 10-21-2018, 12:53 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

From first looks it appears you have the FLH front end with a 19? inch rim and tire and FX style fender. My guess is that what you need is a 16 inch rim and spokes laced to the hub that you already have on the 19 front. It doesn't appear that the hub is the aluminum style used for FX style applications. Hard to tell from the pic though. Then it is just digging up the correct front fender.

Last edited by panz4ever; 10-21-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:15 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

[QUOTE=panz4ever;17749181]Well herz 3 that I have finished over the last 5 years.

49EL (took almost 18years to get done)

/QUOTE]

Way cool 49EL Panz...nice job on your build.