Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1983 FXDG Disc Glide Rebuild/Restore

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 08:15 AM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
you don't need the low compression 7 to 1 stuff the 8.2 in the 80 inch works very well - in my shop we install the Andrews A2 cam, with that and what ever carb you like the combo works great for all around riding - if you have an S&S use it if not the stock carb can be tuned to work

we use the cast pistons all the suppliers sell and a moly piston ring set is the go to just have them set at .003 piston to wall and use seals on the guides

btw. Thanks for the suggestion. That seems like a reasonable way to go for what I want. What do you think of the KB Performance Hypereutectic Piston Kits? They have one in 8.3:1.

Also the builder says someone put expensive Jim’s tappets in. 3 are perfect and one is a little worn. Replace all? Just the one? Can you still just replace the roller?

Old 11-16-2018, 08:33 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

what is the VIN designation for the Willie G Special?

Old 11-16-2018, 08:50 AM
shovhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by pjb
what is the vin designation for the willie g special?
fxdg = bg

Old 11-16-2018, 08:57 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

I wonder why someone would have removed all of the unique parts of the Special from your bike?
Nice bike in any case, good luck with it!

Old 11-16-2018, 08:59 AM
shovhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Racepres
^^ I would like to know How one would "repair" that wheel??

These guys are the best!

Woody's Wheel Works
2200 S. Jason St, Denver, CO 80223
info@woodyswheelworks.com
Phone: 1-303-936-0232
Text: 1-303-578-9599
Fax: 303.936.1992

I would recommend a Flash for that second Picture also!!!
Fixed. I hope. It looked good when I loaded it.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:43 AM
shovhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by pjb
I wonder why someone would have removed all of the unique parts of the Special from your bike?
Nice bike in any case, good luck with it!

lol. so I can have all the fun (and expense) of hunting them down.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:11 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

The good news is that the only unique part aboit most of them is the color. You could have your existing parts done in the correct colors.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:21 PM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

I used these: http://www.wiseco.com/PDFs/Wiseco-Ha...elhead1340.pdf S&S premium lifters, and an A2 cam (I think). I would not go over 8.5:1 with that bike, due to the primary belt drive. The ratio sucks for the starter, and you'll have both a harder time turning the engine over to start it with high compression, and a harder hit on the belt when you hit the button (that's when they usually break).

I have some 7.2 hypertectics in my 81 with a stock cam and they do just fine too, much easier to start that bike, kicks over easy. I have some high compression cast pistons in my Boattail, and that thing is a bitch to kick over. You're not going to notice a couple horsepower, I would put in a smaller cam. I have stock 7.4 Pistons in my 81 FLT with a #1 cam, and to be honest, it has the best starting manners, and best power band with no big "hit" like the bigger cams that are a turd until you get them rev'd up. That's what I would do.

The following users liked this post:
Dirtyjer1842 (11-17-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 02:43 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlexus
I used these: http://www.wiseco.com/PDFs/Wiseco-Ha...elhead1340.pdf S&S premium lifters, and an A2 cam (I think). I would not go over 8.5:1 with that bike, due to the primary belt drive. The ratio sucks for the starter, and you'll have both a harder time turning the engine over to start it with high compression, and a harder hit on the belt when you hit the button (that's when they usually break).

I have some 7.2 hypertectics in my 81 with a stock cam and they do just fine too, much easier to start that bike, kicks over easy. I have some high compression cast pistons in my Boattail, and that thing is a bitch to kick over. You're not going to notice a couple horsepower, I would put in a smaller cam. I have stock 7.4 Pistons in my 81 FLT with a #1 cam, and to be honest, it has the best starting manners, and best power band with no big "hit" like the bigger cams that are a turd until you get them rev'd up. That's what I would do.

Break that motor in gently for at least 500mi. Wiscos have a bad habit of galling if the boring job isn't spot on.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:45 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by shovhd

btw. Thanks for the suggestion. That seems like a reasonable way to go for what I want. What do you think of the KB Performance Hypereutectic Piston Kits? They have one in 8.3:1.

Also the builder says someone put expensive Jim’s tappets in. 3 are perfect and one is a little worn. Replace all? Just the one? Can you still just replace the roller?
the cast pistons from all the suppliers is 8 1/2 to 1 - I would not use a hiperbull piston to hold fish at a stream

I have a big box of one good one from a set most with under a 1000 miles - some guys use them and like them we don't in my shop

if your guy likes them and you drive it like its your moms new car you borrowed for the first time in your life maybe then they will work out for you

Quick Reply: 1983 FXDG Disc Glide Rebuild/Restore