Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1983 FXDG Disc Glide Rebuild/Restore

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 09:42 AM
troy montoya
Road Master

Received 626 Likes on 339 Posts

The Vin # for a FXDG is 1HD1BG . . . my 83 FXWG wide glide is 1HD1BE . . . thats the best way to tell if you have a FXDG , even though these bikes are very special with a lot of special trim pieces their are a lot of them that have ben re-painted & customized way from stock , I've ben looking over the internet ,searching for a long time for a stock one for under 10 grand , there are some out there , but not what i am willing to pay top price for a bike that has to be re-furbished , so i just refurbished my wide glide as a tribute

heirs an example of an FXDG for sale...

& heirs a shot of my FXWG thats ben converted too a twin belt...

The following users liked this post:
nzhog (08-09-2019)
Old 11-19-2018, 11:00 PM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I honestly didn’t think I’d be stuck this quickly 😕. I was getting ready to take parts to the painter this weekend and I can’t get the damn left side gas cap off! I’m assuming it’s a fake cap? Are these aftermarket tanks? The cap spins (hard) if I use channel lock pliers on it. Tried to pry it up a bit in case it was siliconed on. Didn’t move. Any ideas? Am I that dopey? Thanks.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:22 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

Left side tank turns clockwise to remove, if they are Evo style tanks. Does the rear tank mount go side to side, or up and down? Can't see in the picture. I know they do sell a kit to mount evo tanks on a shovel. May be what you have.
The cap is definitely not fake. How else would you get gas in it?

Last edited by pjb; 11-20-2018 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:31 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

Righty loosey on the left hand tank. It's so you can't screw the vented cap on the wrong side and spill gas while on the kickstand.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:07 AM
troy montoya
Road Master

Received 626 Likes on 339 Posts

Hi Shovhd, by looking at the gas cap i think its aftermarket, i would imagine that the caps rubber seal is stuck to the metal on the tank filler opening, maybe you can use a long piece of dental floss to work around the cap between the cap & tank to brake / cut the stuck rubber seal with out scratching up your tank , give it a try and let me know if it works, good luck , Troy...

Old 11-20-2018, 10:21 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

no question it's an aftermarket cap. he's just turning it the wrong way, and looks to be doing damage along the way.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:41 PM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fix it...sorta. Only ever filled the bike once when I picked it up to ride it home. I never had that cap off before, since it wouldn't move when I tried it. Looks like the PO or someone in the past over cranked it the wrong way. I came onto it with some big channelocks and it just spun a bit both directions. No worries about the paint damage, it's all going to the painter on Sunday anyway. Thanks for the help.

Gas cap

Old 11-20-2018, 02:52 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

So, are they evo tanks or shovelhead?
can't see enough in the pics.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:20 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

no after market shovel as evo uses rubber grommets that are in a different location then shovel but the Chinese do all kinds of things to Harley parts

Old 11-20-2018, 06:57 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
no after market shovel as evo uses rubber grommets that are in a different location then shovel but the Chinese do all kinds of things to Harley parts
not sure what you are trying to say there.
with the oring on the busted cap pictured, I'm guessing the tanks have the late model screw on caps, with the left tank being reverse threaded. If that's correct, somebody might have cranked too hard in the wrong direction, breaking the cap.

Quick Reply: 1983 FXDG Disc Glide Rebuild/Restore