Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Rebuilding dads shovel

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 11:48 AM
Tanner A
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rebuilding dads shovel

How goes it every one really glad I found this forum! So a little back story. My dad j

ust passed away 2 weeks ago and he left me his most prized possession. His motorcycle a 1980 FLH shovelhead engine on a paco frame that he built from the ground up in 1982. I grew up riding on the back of this bike my soul is attached to it lol. 15 years ago the bike broke down idk why or what happened and he parked it. He started working on it for awhile but life happens and it never got finished. Unfortunately it sat apart in a rundown shed until 6 days ago when I rescued it lol now this bike what you would call a basket case in every way! I have parts in milk crates, boxes and file cabinets all mixed together some new some old lol but the engine itself looks dang good for sitting for so long! I’m no professional by any means but I’m no dum dum either when it comes to turning a wrench. I have multiple manuals for the bike too but any tips tricks ideas or advice is greatly appreciated. Pics are of what the bike looked like when it was built the way my dad wanted so so badly to bring back to life and of my tear down so far please tell me what y’all think

The way dad built his bike originally the way I want it to look

. Thanks for reading every one

The following 2 users liked this post by Tanner A:
Jackman the second (05-04-2021), roadrunner1414 (05-04-2021)
Old 11-24-2018, 11:55 AM
Bubby
Cruiser
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

Good luck on the re-build. I was in the same position as you a couple years ago, take your time and do things the right way. It's worth it in the end.
ps. Bitchin looking ride too!!

Old 11-24-2018, 12:12 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,735 Likes on 2,471 Posts

I would take it completely apart to refinish things like the frame and go through it and put it back together how it was in the photo. You'll get plenty of help here and it would be cool to see it completed.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:14 PM
Tanner A
Advanced

So far from what I can tell the engine in decent shape going to need a good hard cleaning. A valve job/head service, can’t find the carburetor (any recommendations) all new electrical systems and wiring with electric start. Transmission needs work possibly new kicker seems ok , new clutch new lifters pushrods and covers. All new hoses and lines new breaks and lines and fresh paint some chrome and a tank of gas 😂 lol that’s where I’m at so far

Old 11-24-2018, 12:16 PM
Tanner A
Advanced

Originally Posted by hellonewman
I would take it completely apart to refinish things like the frame and go through it and put it back together how it was in the photo. You'll get plenty of help here and it would be cool to see it completed.
that exactly what I’m doing lol frame tank and fender headed out to get cleaned up and painted Tuesday

Old 11-24-2018, 12:20 PM
83shovl93”strokr
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow this hits home I lost my dad 7 months ago and he left me his prize 83 shovel...I look very forward to following this build and you’re in the right place for help and advice on you’re shoveland as far as carbs if you want to make it just like you’re dads it looks like he had a s&s super b

Last edited by 83shovl93”strokr; 11-24-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:28 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by 83shovl93”strokr
it looks like he had a s&s super b
Cover anyway, hard to tell by the angle if it sticks out far enough to be a "B"..
Tanner.... Was yer Dads name Louey/Lewy????

Old 11-24-2018, 12:31 PM
Tanner A
Advanced

Yep it’s the S&S super I got the cover but no carb lol a lot of nuts bolts and washers are missing or all mixed together in a filing cabinet lol it sat for so many years in the shed everything used to be in one place but over the years thing got moved shuffled around and piled up took two days to get it out of that shed more pics of the way it was and will b again

Old 11-24-2018, 12:33 PM
1Sparks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 318 Likes on 231 Posts

All those old pics are really nice. Good luck on your project. People here are great, I've been asking all kinds of silly newbie questions and been getting tons of help.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:33 PM
Tanner A
Advanced

Originally Posted by Racepres
Cover anyway, hard to tell by the angle if it sticks out far enough to be a "B"..
Tanner.... Was yer Dads name Louey/Lewy????
no sir his name was Michael or “snake” as most people knew him

Quick Reply: Rebuilding dads shovel