Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Good Shovelhead FAQs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:42 PM
jimjonesghost
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good Shovelhead FAQs?

Is there a good Shovelhead FAQs anywhere, I'm guessing any question I'm going to ask has been asked 10,000 times before.

I'm interested in knowing when the Shovelheads adopted the rubber mounted frames, FXR and FLH/T, and how different they were to the Evo and early TC frames.

From where I am sitting, it looks like not a lot.

Thinking of my first Shovel, circa 79/80, and looking at bikes for sale. Kind of missed this era of H-D out growing up. Have to say I find the Shovelhead FXR pretty discordant looking, even if it must sound great. That sure must have been a frame waiting for a new engine.

Last edited by jimjonesghost; 01-15-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

1979 for the Tour Glide Shovelhead 5 speed.. 1982 for the First FXR
There is not enough difference to make much difference till the Early to mid '90's ... in the chassis anyway... clutches/engines/ final drive... Different story
In Fact... I ave a 1993 Engine in a 1983 FXR currently... till the Shovel Mill gets.... Some TLC

BTW the true "Freak" is the 1985, 1986 4 speed chassis with an Evo Mill...

Last edited by Racepres; 01-15-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:52 PM
60weight
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Old 01-15-2019, 05:05 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 60weight
Yup... Good thing the MoCo didn't offer sumpin like that... I can hear the Bitching from here to Milwaukee....

Old 01-16-2019, 11:02 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

Freak??

Old 01-16-2019, 12:03 PM
jimjonesghost
Banned

Originally Posted by Racepres
I ave a 1993 Engine in a 1983 FXR currently... till the Shovel Mill gets.... Some TLC
Thanks.

You've ridden it with both engines, how do they compare? Is there much real world difference?

Appreciated.

Truth be, when I was growing up into bikes it was the AMF days, the engines leaked and sucked and the bikes were considered to be retarded in comparison to what else was coming out or around at that time. Not meant as an insult to any owner. I think they, especially the early tourglides have a kind of in your face fugly charm now.

Last edited by jimjonesghost; 01-16-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:00 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by pjb
Freak??
Yup... Odd Fuel Tank for a 4-speed... odd primary ... even tranny and clutch... so I would say... Unique to the 4-speed world...and Besides... Talkin Shovelheads here... yea???
Originally Posted by jimjonesghost
Thanks.

You've ridden it with both engines, how do they compare? Is there much real world difference?

Appreciated.

Truth be, when I was growing up into bikes it was the AMF days, the engines leaked and sucked and the bikes were considered to be retarded in comparison to what else was coming out or around at that time. Not meant as an insult to any owner. I think they, especially the early tourglides have a kind of in your face fugly charm now.
The Shovel that came out was a Dual Plugged, stroked, massaged... then beaten plumb to death example...
The Evo mill has only had some slight attention...compression and Cam...
Gotta say... the evo is more Fun... to flog a bit... and Cheaper to make Faster
Still have a Stock [bought new] 1982 FXR

Bars and Pipes Not Stock... Engine never been opened... except ignition pick-up failure. We been many many miles together...
Now... That one Is a Blast ... and won't ever be changed ..... Maybe after my Dirt Nap time.....

Old 01-16-2019, 03:44 PM
jimjonesghost
Banned

What's the "go to" without breaking it ... an 86 or 93ci (low compression) upgrade?

Does that take it up to Evo like performance?

I'm see a few already done for reasonable money.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:16 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimjonesghost
What's the "go to" without breaking it ... an 86 or 93ci (low compression) upgrade?

Does that take it up to Evo like performance?

I'm see a few already done for reasonable money.
Gotta ask yerself... Would I but a Shovehead Stroker when Shopping for a Shovelhead???
Me??? Nope... Any reasonable EVO gonna "Spank that ***" I enjoy my Shovels More Mundane these Days.. But, I'm silly enough to have taken both Shovels and Ironheads to the National Drag Race circuit...
Enjoy it for what it is... and if ya feel the Need for Speed... The Shovel will Not be a World Beater... Go To The Harley Drags and see for Yerself....

Yer Bike... Do What ya like....

Old 01-22-2019, 10:45 AM
jimjonesghost
Banned

It was more just the bikes I was looking at to buy already had the engine work done.

I did read the low compression 93s are better for longevity.

The question is more, would I buy a 40 year old Shovel that had not had any engine work, I've seen a few of them between 20,000 and 40,000, in preferance to one that had already been opened up and re-done.

I know from my Evo that around 40,000, they start to get a little sloppy and suspect the Shovels to be more so.

Quick Reply: Good Shovelhead FAQs?