Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Saddlebag restoration project

Old 01-17-2019, 03:52 PM
tazdevil1
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddlebag restoration project

I was fortunate enough to come into 2 sets of shovelhead saddle bags. I am thinking about possible restoration projects and wondering if anyone has worked with these before. The first set is white with normal wear from use. One has a couple small holes in the bottom. The tops appear to be in better condition. The key and locks don't work. The second set is black with wear on the outside and harley logos. Tops will need new gaskets for sure. Locks work as far as I can tell. Does anyone have experience restoring these bags? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I can send pictures if you need to see them up close. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:35 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,049 Likes on 1,508 Posts

The White ones appear to be "as issued" I would set them aside... remembering that about?? '74 or Earlier... the hard bags and Batwing fairing [the most iconic fairing of all time] was introduced... in one color... White!!

The Painted ones... Do whatever ya wanna... already been ****ered with...
hell I can't believe ya gots 4 friggin '70's bags with all of the "clips" onto them!!!!

BTW the key on them latches is nothing that a 1st day locksmith...or a COB can't get into in moments... I personally have a Slightly modified Yamaha Snowmobile key that opens/locks ours perfectly..

Those White bags do Not in any way require "restoration"... IMO you can only destroy real history by being arrogant...
the Blacik ones?? I honestly can't say the era from that Pic..but, would not be very concerned with a "restoration" of them... whatever that means... They look like Survivors to me... and I think anything you do besides care and feeding... is going Backwards...
Sorry... Better aint always... and Shiney aint ...Good!!!

Poor Picture for reference... but, I think I see the hole in the hinge of one of the white ones... Indicating an educated individual owned them.... had the "homespun retainer" for the covers!!!!

If yer located anywhere near me... or where I may travel... I can educate youin a Big hurry on the care and feeding of Original Shovelhead saddlebags...

Last edited by Racepres; 01-17-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:04 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,519 Likes on 2,862 Posts

the rivet tool is 300 dollars and no beating the rivets with a soft hammer < pun -does not do it - and the tool is disappointing

we have used screws / nuts washers and nylocks or machine nuts with blue loc tite with user machines and bolted the accompaniments back on after the color was added

Old 01-18-2019, 06:08 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,873 Likes on 2,540 Posts

I can't tell from the pics if they are original paint, but early 70's HD definitely did offer the bags in white or in black. So maybe both sets are original paint, hard to tell from here. The HD stickers on the black set are obviously owner applied, I would take them off. Maybe Goof Off, maybe some gentle heat. The white set might buff out with the right products and patience, the black set, if original, is perfect for a similar condition OP bike. There are guys out there that will want those bags as is, again just get rid of the silly stickers. Good luck.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:13 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,723 Likes on 18,538 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
the rivet tool is 300 dollars and no beating the rivets with a soft hammer < pun -does not do it - and the tool is disappointing

we have used screws / nuts washers and nylocks or machine nuts with blue loc tite with user machines and bolted the accompaniments back on after the color was added
The rivets were a challenge ... until I stopped by my local dealer and they happened to have the tool ... a case of beer will go a long way for a "favor" ... of course this was about 25 years ago ;>)

Old 01-18-2019, 08:46 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Architect
I can't tell from the pics if they are original paint, but early 70's HD definitely did offer the bags in white or in black. So maybe both sets are original paint, hard to tell from here. The HD stickers on the black set are obviously owner applied, I would take them off. Maybe Goof Off, maybe some gentle heat. The white set might buff out with the right products and patience, the black set, if original, is perfect for a similar condition OP bike. There are guys out there that will want those bags as is, again just get rid of the silly stickers. Good luck.
Still Believe that the original Fairing as well as Bags were offered Only in White...

Old 01-18-2019, 09:58 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,873 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
Still Believe that the original Fairing as well as Bags were offered Only in White...
I had a feeling you would say that about the bags, I come prepared:

Old 01-18-2019, 10:05 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Good work there... I am Corrected... I think, as I cannot bend my neck quite far enough to read that... I'll look on my Phone later

Odd that we never saw no Black around here... Maybe White was Cheaper!!!

Is the Batwing on the list??
I misspoke badly above... the Batwing was introduced quite a bit after the Bags...

BTW who knew they offered so many optional Colors???? Certainly not I...
Wish I had that ad Copy!!!

Last edited by Racepres; 01-18-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:19 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,340 Likes on 1,548 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Architect (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 11:49 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

^^^ I can't do that... I get an error "Message too Short" !!!

The following users liked this post:
Architect (01-18-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Saddlebag restoration project