Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Coil Wire Got Very Hot - 75 FXE

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 11:11 AM
Rusty Axle
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Coil Wire Got Very Hot - 75 FXE

Adding signals to my 75 FXE and pulled the seat to trace wires to the rear (original signals were removed along with wires)

Noticed that the coil wire insulation was melted per the attached picture.

Made a small cut and opened the harness up a bit, the wire insulation is fine inside the harness.

Couldn't find any spots on the frame or elsewhere that would indicate contact with the wire and rub-through of insulation to cause a short.

But based on local nature of the issue my guess is that's what happened. Otherwise, the wire insulation would have been fried inside the harness as well, right?

Old 01-19-2019, 11:47 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts

When you have a poor connection (like the one at the coil, it's green) it will create to much resistance and because of that, the wire will heat up and melt the insulation as it did.. I would replace the entire wire or at least back far enough to where you can see good copper...

Old 01-19-2019, 12:16 PM
1981 suprglide
Road Captain
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
When you have a poor connection (like the one at the coil, it's green) it will create to much resistance and because of that, the wire will heat up and melt the insulation as it did.. I would replace the entire wire or at least back far enough to where you can see good copper...
yeh I agree and maybe a 14 gage instead of an 18 gage just my opinion

Old 01-19-2019, 12:17 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1981 suprglide
yeh I agree and maybe a 14 gage instead of an 18 gage just my opinion
Yes, definitely 14 gauge...

Old 01-19-2019, 01:43 PM
Rusty Axle
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks guys.

I didn't see the 14 gauge suggestion until after I replaced the wire from the harness out. I'll keep a watch on it.

Made sure all the connections were clean and polished, then gave it a shot of battery terminal corrosion preventative before tightening down.

Then put a dollop of liquid tape over it all to seal it from moisture.

I should probably check all the other connections that are secured with a nut/washer and clean them just for due diligence.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:59 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Not a big fan of using a heavier wire to try and 'eliminate' cooking a wire. There is usually a reason the wire melts. Best to figure it out now, at home, rather than on the road and miles away from home.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:11 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

couple of things to think about

like Bob had said the connection may have been corroded and that will cause the heat at the spot its corroded

replacing the entire wire as an extra to the harness is what we would do in the shop at the same gauge

having that much heat at the coil connection I would have replaced the coil, or at least run a OHMs test on it as the resister in the coil is not a fan of being over heated - if its points the condenser is also not happy - it will not work for long would be my guess

Old 01-19-2019, 07:39 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Not a big fan of using a heavier wire to try and 'eliminate' cooking a wire. There is usually a reason the wire melts. Best to figure it out now, at home, rather than on the road and miles away from home.
Originally Posted by johnjzjz
couple of things to think about

like Bob had said the connection may have been corroded and that will cause the heat at the spot its corroded

replacing the entire wire as an extra to the harness is what we would do in the shop at the same gauge

having that much heat at the coil connection I would have replaced the coil, or at least run a OHMs test on it as the resister in the coil is not a fan of being over heated - if its points the condenser is also not happy - it will not work for long would be my guess
Have to agree.... That much heat is abnormal and one should look into the cause more carefully... Most times that would indicate a heavey draw at the coil... It's the only load on that circuit. So yes an residencer test would be appropriate at this point... Sorry guys... It's just that sometimes I think most think like me and I don't need to explain everything... I'm trying to get better and thank you... I'm seeing it a little differently..,..

Old 01-19-2019, 10:17 PM
1981 suprglide
Road Captain
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

I had that problem and even had to pay a tow truck 75 dollars
so nothing shorten out but that wire from the coil to the ignition
get an overload sometimes from the circuit breaker, I changed
the circuit breaker and went with the 14 gauge wire and I'm still
running it never had another problem that worked for me but
each to his own

Old 01-20-2019, 09:10 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Last I saw that ... it was a case of a points system, and walking away with the ignition on... Not only cooked the wires it blew the coil ...literally
I don't think it had any affect on the condenser, as it is just a capacitor.. You will know in a Moment if the condenser was bad... there is Never a Question.. rewire...same gauge... Bigger is Not better... except in Big City America

Quick Reply: Coil Wire Got Very Hot - 75 FXE