Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

how to adjust a ultima 2 carberetor

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 09:12 AM
Bill wallace
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
LOL.... and I'm the guy pulled an E off my '74 and went back to a Bendix... I really like them...especially since I learned to use Only O.E. [Zenith/Bendix] rebuild kits!!!
Better manners and throttle response... she's only 74Cu.In, after all!!!!
ya know what....I may put the bendix back on. I’m having a hard time with my super e...and my buddy warned me. But, in my defense, I got it for free. My idle is all over the place. I don’t think I have a leak as I pressure tested manifold before mounting carb. Yesterday was my first ride, so I’ll fiddle around with it but right now I’m not too happy.

btw...also got a “Balance Masters” fluid damper for $40 so I figured I’d give it a shot. What a joke. Glad I didn’t spend $180 MSRP. I’d be really pissed.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:36 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill wallace
ya know what....I may put the bendix back on. I’m having a hard time with my super e...and my buddy warned me. But, in my defense, I got it for free. My idle is all over the place. I don’t think I have a leak as I pressure tested manifold before mounting carb. Yesterday was my first ride, so I’ll fiddle around with it but right now I’m not too happy.

btw...also got a “Balance Masters” fluid damper for $40 so I figured I’d give it a shot. What a joke. Glad I didn’t spend $180 MSRP. I’d be really pissed.
Yea... on my old cruiser... I love me a Bendix... But, Honestly... I sold my Favorite Touring setup
http://www.amraonline.com/BikePics/Geezer.jpg

that is a Properly adjusted and supported CV under that Ham Can... Best thing that ever happened to that particular Bike... It was a Pleasure...
Damn.... I'm gettin all Fuzzy about why it is Gone!!!!!

I believe in different Carburetors for Different Jobs... and of course I have my own Ideas about which does which!!!!
S&S carbs??? I use 'em... hell I wouldn't go to the RaceTrack without one...or two!!!!
Also any even half assed "built" bike gets an S&S... if... [big word] If the alternatives...starting with the S.E. Butterfly, or the Edelbrock Qwiksilver II don't get me there...
I like Throttle response and manners over WFO performance... on the Street

Old 03-16-2019, 08:06 AM
FL54
Road Master
Received 423 Likes on 290 Posts

I have Bendix carbs on two flat side shovels and they are pretty hard to beat IMHO. Adjust them and forget them. Easy start and fuel consumption in the mid 30's. These are not high performance machines after all.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:13 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FL54
I have Bendix carbs on two flat side shovels and they are pretty hard to beat IMHO. Adjust them and forget them. Easy start and fuel consumption in the mid 30's. These are not high performance machines after all.
And a Tremendous Upgrade from the Tillotson my old Generator shovel came with,. as I recall....while I think the "B" I tried was Not what I wanted... nor did my Knee!!!!!

Old 03-20-2019, 10:26 AM
monckywrench
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts

"Shiny" is not a brilliant reason to buy a carburetor, especially without checking if that carb is worth buying. I suggest rethinking why you do what you do so similar silly mistakes don't punish your wallet in future!
Most carbs which weren't machined with a potato can be persuaded to work, but I can't see a good reason to run an Ultima due to their infamous quality control issues.

My Shovels have S&S Es and had B's before that, but I got them before stock CV carbs came out and kept them standard for convenience so I can bolt on any spare and clean the other carb later.
I like Throttle response and manners over WFO performance... on the Street
I agree with Racepres on CVs being excellent and they are easily the best stock HD carb ever offered.

Did you replace your intake seals after ensuring the manifold is correctly aligned?? They are prone to air leaks.

Warning, avoid bottoming out the idle fuel screw hard on S&S and Ultima clones. This ruins the carb body. Be very gentle.

The following users liked this post:
1981 suprglide (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 08:02 AM
1981 suprglide
Road Captain
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by monckywrench
"Shiny" is not a brilliant reason to buy a carburetor, especially without checking if that carb is worth buying. I suggest rethinking why you do what you do so similar silly mistakes don't punish your wallet in future!
Most carbs which weren't machined with a potato can be persuaded to work, but I can't see a good reason to run an Ultima due to their infamous quality control issues.

My Shovels have S&S Es and had B's before that, but I got them before stock CV carbs came out and kept them standard for convenience so I can bolt on any spare and clean the other carb later.

I agree with Racepres on CVs being excellent and they are easily the best stock HD carb ever offered.

Did you replace your intake seals after ensuring the manifold is correctly aligned?? They are prone to air leaks.

Warning, avoid bottoming out the idle fuel screw hard on S&S and Ultima clones. This ruins the carb body. Be very gentle.
yeah big mistake no more

Old 10-21-2023, 09:31 PM
dtone72
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If y’all want to unload your ultima r-2 carb I’ll take them. I have one on my 83 flhtp, it’s great. I did need to open the bowl and attach the float valve once it arrived in the mail, but other than that it’s awesome. To each their own.

1981 suprglide (11-12-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 06:37 PM
1981 suprglide
Road Captain
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by dtone72
If y’all want to unload your ultima r-2 carb I’ll take them. I have one on my 83 flhtp, it’s great. I did need to open the bowl and attach the float valve once it arrived in the mail, but other than that it’s awesome. To each their own.
never went into the float will try that before i LET IT GO

dtone72 (12-11-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 07:08 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1981 suprglide
never went into the float will try that before i LET IT GO
Pitch that Chiwanese POS already!!!!