Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

'76 FXE: Starts cold, won't start warm. WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 08:18 AM
Bulldog1085
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default '76 FXE: Starts cold, won't start warm. WTF?

After a 1,001 issues and one headache after another, I started my barn-find '76 FXE Shovelhead yesterday with the Ultima carb (S&S Super E knock-off) set to the stock setting (as recommended in the S&S carb tuning video). It started and ran great, idled easily, and I hit the road for a brief celebratory run to warm up the engine and tranny for the the next step in the carb dialing-in phase that requires a warmed up engine. I went 2-3 miles, everything was running great. I got back home, asked my son if he wanted to try it, we switched places, he dropped it in to 1st, and started to head down the driveway when the bike stalled. He said it was possible he'd stalled it but doubted it with the faster idle at stock setting. He said it felt like it just bogged out underneath him. Ten minutes of attempting to re-start did nothing. Can anyone think of any reason a '76 Shovel would fire right up and idle fine when cold but then either die or refuse to start when warm?

To add to the fun, I noticed after a few minutes of trying to get it started again that there was a stream of white smoke leaking from the rubber boot that covers the solenoid. "What fresh horror is this?" I thought cheerfully, and rolled the damn thing in to the garage for the day. I'm open to all ideas but should point out that I previously had the same issue with the original carb that was on when I got the bike: starts cold but craps out after a couple minutes of warming. The new Ultima may look like a chrome covered turd but the bike definitely leaps to life quicker and runs much smoother with it on.

I should point out that the solenoid, starter, wiring harness*, and starter relay are all new. Also, the plugs look fine after all this and were brand new -they now have 3 miles of service on them.

Any ideas would be welcomed -and hopefully a few of you will chime in and tell me how much you admire my shiny chrome Ultima carb! Looking forward to those comments.

*Wiring harness is new but solenoid-to-battery cable is original (and looks it). Also, solenoid-to-starter cable is original (and looks it).

Last edited by Bulldog1085; 03-13-2019 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-13-2019, 09:39 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

For starters... Pun intended... New Chiwanese is Not preferable to Genuine antique working... now,
Probably stalled due to fuel delivery problem... ie Tank cap vent?? or?? crap in tank... and my most hated... that Terrible inline gas filter!!!!
Stick a Quarter [or a washer if yer cheap like me] between the long stud on the starter solenoid to the little # 10 stud [the one with the small wire on it...
what happens... Nothing??? put a more substantial washer between the two large [3/8] studs... what happens?? Starter runs??
No??? Poor battery or Cables...or both.
Battery must be at 12.6 or a bit more... or it is Not Charged... which... would also account for Stalling...12.0 v is Dead, dead, dead...

****!!! May be the first place to start!!!!!

Last edited by Racepres; 03-13-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:05 AM
Bulldog1085
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the quick response, Racepres. This will give me some things to check out tonight. Will advise what I find.

Off the top of my head: I don't think it's a tank vent issue. I loosened the gas cap at one point to see if that helped but the gas cap gaskets are pretty rotted and both gas caps wobble loosely even when cranked down. I can't imagine they'd be able to build up any pressure. Also, the inline filter looks clean and I think it was full of gas but will attempt to recreate the issue tonight and confirm. I'm thinking the carb was getting fuel because while attempting to re-start when warm there were times that gas was visibly dribbling out of the carb.

The tank looks clean inside but I could remove the petcock with screen and take a look. It might be a grungy mess at that end of the tank.

Last edited by Bulldog1085; 03-13-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:43 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,188 Likes on 1,265 Posts

I would pull the petcock and screen and clean them. I would also replace the inline filter. Even if they aren't the problem, they are now clean and you know what you have.

Could be that the bike flooded while you were trying to restart it. Maybe the float bowl level is way too high. Maybe the carb is set way too rich. Maybe there is trash in the carb causing gas to build up way too high (did that myself on my ironhead once).

I bet the smoking solenoid is due to overheating from trying to crank it too much to restart the bike.

carl

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
I would pull the petcock and screen and clean them. I would also replace the inline filter. Even if they aren't the problem, they are now clean and you know what you have.

Could be that the bike flooded while you were trying to restart it. Maybe the float bowl level is way too high. Maybe the carb is set way too rich. Maybe there is trash in the carb causing gas to build up way too high (did that myself on my ironhead once).

I bet the smoking solenoid is due to overheating from trying to crank it too much to restart the bike.

carl
This seen more than a few a gummed up filter screen was the fuel problem.

Get it running I'd do an intake leak check too, get a can of brake clean and with the little red hose on give a lite squirt at the intake clamps and where the carb mates to the manifold. Try this before you tear into the carb.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:22 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Throw that damn inline filter as far as you can... go find it and Repeat ... till ya can't find it... POS... I will Never use one again...
Is that strong enough??? or.... If ya Like Problems...
Check that battery... First...

Old 03-13-2019, 11:49 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Before you dig into the other suggestions...try starting the bike cold. If it fires up and runs smoothly my first thought would be the coil has failed. Only reason for suggestion is that you mentioned you only went a couple of miles, returned home, and had you son take it out, and it very soon after took a dump on you. A bad coil may start fine cold but once it warms up, it misfires, sputters and quits.

Last edited by panz4ever; 03-13-2019 at 11:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Racepres (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 12:19 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

^^ Another way to check the Battery as well......

Old 03-13-2019, 02:38 PM
1981 suprglide
Road Captain
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Before you dig into the other suggestions...try starting the bike cold. If it fires up and runs smoothly my first thought would be the coil has failed. Only reason for suggestion is that you mentioned you only went a couple of miles, returned home, and had you son take it out, and it very soon after took a dump on you. A bad coil may start fine cold but once it warms up, it misfires, sputters and quits.
1.look close at that coil and you probably can see the hairline crack in the coil
2. man if you fix that ultima carberetor let me know how you done it I have
one and it's very shiny a pretty carberetor but do it works? no so I put it on
the shelf as a trophy I won't use, the ultima carb knock off is a disappointment

Old 03-13-2019, 03:09 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1981 suprglide
the ultima carb knock off is a disappointment
Say it ain't so,.. a Chiwanese "copy" that don't work!!!
Sorry... I have been actively avoiding Chiwanese crap on my Harley for a very long time...and believe me... it is getting much more difficult..
Try to Remember.... Quality will be Remembered Long after Price is Forgotten....

Quick Reply: '76 FXE: Starts cold, won't start warm. WTF?