Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

What to do with this 71 FLH

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 11:50 PM
Edill
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with this 71 FLH

Im brand new to the forums, but I come to you all because I just today found myself in possession of a 71 FLH that I am not sure what to do with. The obvious answer is getting it running and get out on the road, but the manner in which i get it running is what is in question. It is all original i believe, and I came into possession of it by way of my mother in law. It belonged to her late "husband" (never married but raised three kids together), and she has not been able to get rid of it since he passed. She also hasn't had it running for at least five years (to my knowledge). I guess my question really, is where to start. I am assuming that it is going to need the engine rebuilt, brakes, carb, trans, probably a new gas tank, clutch ... and the list goes on, but i am a little overwhelmed. Selling it or parting it out is not an option. I'll post some pics from my phone in a second.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:05 AM
Edill
6th Gear

Engine number

Very hard to see because of the powder coating on the frame, but the engine and frame are matching numbers.

Only ~5k on the odometer

Old 04-01-2019, 12:11 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Nice!!! Why couldn't I have had Harley riders in my past family? WAsh job, fresh fuel and oils, carb clean rebuild and some fresh rubber and she'll be gtg! Less than 5k on the clock hell it's still a new bike!

Last edited by tnriverluver; 04-01-2019 at 12:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (01-25-2021)
Old 04-01-2019, 12:18 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Welcome to the forum. How nice to be given a classic.

There are resident experts on this forum that can help you with all your needs, mechanical or otherwise.

Great bike but of course I am partial since I also have a 71 FLH.

For me, I did not rebuild the engine or do any trans work...I did do full service, inspected and adjusted the brakes, cleaned the carb. and replaced my jets, cleaned out the tank and replaced with fresh fuel, inspected condition of tires, replaced battery, and did some electrical to get everything to work as it should....all to get her back on the road to pass safety inspection and get her registered. I suggest you also check your charging system after you replace your battery as my rectifier was bad so my new battery went dead.

Post up some pics....I am sure the experts can spot all things not original.

Check out my thread...there are pics of some beautiful bikes.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/shove...hovelhead.html

Last edited by hscic; 04-01-2019 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:38 AM
Edill
6th Gear

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
Nice!!! Why couldn't I have had Harley riders in my past family? WAsh job, fresh fuel and oils, carb clean rebuild and some fresh rubber and she'll be gtg! Less than 5k on the clock hell it's still a new bike!
would you recommend all new gaskets throughout the drive train, or flush it fill it and see what leaks?

Old 04-01-2019, 12:41 AM
Edill
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hscic

There are resident experts on this forum that can help you with all your needs, mechanical or otherwise.

For me, I did not rebuild the engine or do any trans work...I did do full service, inspected and adjusted the brakes, cleaned the carb. and replaced my jets, cleaned out the tank and replaced with fresh fuel, inspected condition of tires, replaced battery, and did some electrical to get everything to work as it should....all to get her back on the road to pass safety inspection and get her registered. I suggest you also check your charging system after you replace your battery as my rectifier was bad so my new battery went dead.

i actually read through your entire post prior to putting mine up. The name of yours caught my eye so I had to look.

I know now that you were concerned with original versus aftermarket, and I am a little bit too. Long term would be to “restore” the bike. Any idea if the two up seat that is on mine was an option? Or were they only sold with the pogo seat? I peered under as much as I could without taking the seat off, and I don’t really see where the spring assembly could go.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:42 AM
Edill
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hscic

i also saw the pics of your sweet caramel gas nuggets. How did you get all of that crap cleaned out of there?

Old 04-01-2019, 12:53 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Edill
would you recommend all new gaskets throughout the drive train, or flush it fill it and see what leaks?
Before tearing anything apart I'd personally get it running and riding and just wait and see. It's a Shovel so it's gonna leak regardless lol. Park it on cardboard and carpet!!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by tnriverluver:
Marc Potter (01-24-2021), smitty901 (01-25-2021)
Old 04-01-2019, 01:06 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Edill
i actually read through your entire post prior to putting mine up. The name of yours caught my eye so I had to look.

I know now that you were concerned with original versus aftermarket, and I am a little bit too. Long term would be to “restore” the bike. Any idea if the two up seat that is on mine was an option? Or were they only sold with the pogo seat? I peered under as much as I could without taking the seat off, and I don’t really see where the spring assembly could go.
I am sure if you want an honest assessment of what you need to do to restore her back to original/correct, the experts will pipe in and can spot the littlest things.

I only have seen the buddy and the pogo on the 71 but my knowledge is limited to what I can verify with the parts manual. I believe the buddy seat, the saddlebags, and the fairing were all options....all the white stuff.

Last edited by hscic; 04-01-2019 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:10 AM
lonesum
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 325 Likes on 217 Posts

Nice bike. I'd start by flushing out the gas tanks,do an oil/filter change (drain the sump) and buy a battery. Most likely it was running when parked so the ol gal just might fire up.

Quick Reply: What to do with this 71 FLH