Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

77 crusty shovel home

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 09:12 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Thanks I really like that idea and we'll be using it on mine. When I changed over my ignition to a screaming eagle module and new standard Motor products pick up in the nose cone I wired in a Deutsch connector harness for it. Late 90s, works awesome. Plug and play now.... I even wired in the voes switch to a manual toggle switch on the dash so if I'm cruising long cruises I can just advance my timing...
That’s a great idea for voes. Guilty of never running them on my own bikes....probably should. I am bad about connector on my own stuff....I wire direct. Why I don’t know I have them when doing street rod customer stuff..lol. Guess I like soldering

Old 05-14-2019, 03:30 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,040 Likes on 6,218 Posts

Nice barn find.

The following users liked this post:
Bumpandrun (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 05:10 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
That’s a great idea for voes. Guilty of never running them on my own bikes....probably should. I am bad about connector on my own stuff....I wire direct. Why I don’t know I have them when doing street rod customer stuff..lol. Guess I like soldering

in my place we do everything the same what we do for someone we do for us and see it as the next job at hand

then everything you do has a workman like manner about it and with the same goal in mind

Old 05-14-2019, 06:38 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
in my place we do everything the same what we do for someone we do for us and see it as the next job at hand

then everything you do has a workman like manner about it and with the same goal in mind
Guess it’s back to my oval track racing....no connectors anyplace.....direct wiring soldered. Unless you use gold connectors lots to be lost. We ran 2 ...8 volt battery’s for left side weight and 16 volt advantage for ignition. Customer street rod stuff has to be new parts that can be serviceable any place . Parts can be bought at advance. Has to be plug and play like factory Bike stuff I don’t do restoration.
on a good note the ole shovel got to go down the road today. Fired rite up....got a little wet riding in rain. But set my goal of 1-2 weeks..... Video of it running but don’t know about posting that stuff. Thanks again John for catching the flaws and advise.......shamed me into wiring natural safety light and high beam indicator.....lol. But signal lights went away.

Broke one of my rules...I don’t like fuel filter on these....but tanks took a lot of cleaning . Damn had to spend money for a fuel shut off I thought I had.

Last edited by Bumpandrun; 05-14-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:46 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Normal don’t care for trinkets ....but this one was bought for another bike and it wouldnt fit with his ignition. So he left it here.
took .350 or .375 off the back on the mill.....now it has a home till I don’t like it or it overheats ignition.....

Last edited by Bumpandrun; 05-14-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:53 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Nice score but I strongly suggest you lose those pipes shovels run like **** with them, you never get the carb right.
No wonder they don’t run rite. Front one is 17-18 inches longer than rear one.....at idle sounds ok but not shovel like. Got some cuttin to do .....65 years old still like to **** off the neighbors ( not really I am now the ole guy in the hood they just laugh)

Old 05-14-2019, 06:53 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Didn't by any chance do an ohm check on those coils did you ? Dynatek did use color codes for different ohm coils and some electronic ignitions are bit touchy about the coils and correct ohm load, you need a matched set.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:59 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
No wonder they don’t run rite. Front one is 17-18 inches longer than rear one.....at idle sounds ok but not shovel like. Got some cuttin to do .....65 years old still like to **** off the neighbors ( not really I am now the ole guy in the hood they just laugh)
Shovels like drags to be 1-3/4" not 2" and between 42" to 46" long just to run civilly, you want it right you have to do a set of lollipops in the back for a bit of back pressure or you'll always have a flat spot somewhere in the good RPM range. Those long *** necked up drags are cute on an evo or twinkie but they are death to a shovel.

The following users liked this post:
Baird (05-15-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 07:15 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

today they also have torque cones like the evos have a bit different but they do help the mid range quite a bit

Old 05-14-2019, 07:59 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Didn't by any chance do an ohm check on those coils did you ? Dynatek did use color codes for different ohm coils and some electronic ignitions are bit touchy about the coils and correct ohm load, you need a matched set.
Yes I did both rite around 3.... both matched up so close with my meter......dark green lighter green thought one might be a 5. But nope good to,go

Quick Reply: 77 crusty shovel home