Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

73/74 Electra glide help? I知 a motorcycle noob

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 09:42 PM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Tap on the stuck mirror stem with the plastic handle of a screw driver a few times, then twist it out..You wont hurt anything.
You can also tap up on on the bottom of the stem,with a smallish hammer a few times..
The wires are a prob, we knew they would be..that's why I said set the battery aside for now.
A new brake master cylinder assembly comes with all new wires in it.(the brake light switch)
And Lizy, Pep Boys doesn't have the correct battery.
Id suggest keeping and using the one you have.
It will last awhile..besides,the one we want Ya to end up with is like 150.00
Why don't we wear out the one You already have?

Last edited by Frog Nuts; 06-05-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:05 PM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog Nuts
Tap on the stuck mirror stem with the plastic handle of a screw driver a few times, then twist it out..You wont hurt anything.
You can also tap up on on the bottom of the stem,with a smallish hammer a few times..
The wires are a prob, we knew they would be..that's why I said set the battery aside for now. But a new brake master cylinder assembly comes with all new.
And Lizy, Pep boys doesn't have the correct battery. Id suggest keeping and using the one you have.
It will last awhile..besides,the one we want Ya to end up with is like 150.00
Why don't we wear out the one You already have?

I tried using this little hammer I found to tap the bottom but no luck didn稚 try the top though

Awww man I was hoping they would have one that was decent and the right size
I can稚 decide if I知 patient enough to return it and wait til I can buy the right one to save like $40 or if I知 too impatient and want to try and test stuff already lol

Old 06-05-2019, 10:14 PM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser

Ok.
How about talking to Your friend that got it for You. Just maybe He can order one somewhere?
Show Him the specs..of the one Your wanting.
Relax Lizy...How about Ya just worry the friggin rusty stem out and try to figure out why I had Ya remove Blues mirrors

Last edited by Frog Nuts; 06-05-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:17 PM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser

Ok.
How about talking to Your friend that got it for You. Just maybe He can order one somewhere?
Show Him the specs..
Relax Lizy...How about Ya just worry the friggin stem out and try to figure out why I had Ya remove Blues mirrors
Haha if only I could just worry everything unstuck lol
I知 worried about everything pretty much all the time lol

Does it have to do with taking the rest of the handle apart?

Old 06-05-2019, 10:27 PM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser

Yes.
How about the brake side first. The 4 Phillip screws holding on the part with buttons,
Get those loose easy like..don't use the impact driver.
We are wanting to see the condition of the wires and the back side of buttons.
You removing Her mirrors makes this easy..The master cylinder wont try to fall off as much.
Clutch side..its probably ok. We can wait till testing time and see if those buttons work.

Last edited by Frog Nuts; 06-06-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:46 PM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Received 304 Likes on 185 Posts

I agree it looks like 4 74 and this indicates the bike was built (final assembly) in April 1974.

-jz7utry.jpg

It痴 interesting though that the rear cylinder head has a casting date code from the same month. In 1974 American Machine and Foundry was involved at H-D which is why the petrol tank nameplates say AMF (along with Harley-Davidson). A lot of Harleys built during the AMF years had problems. Does your dad remember anything about your grandfather having trouble with the original cylinder heads on the bike?
Eric

Old 06-06-2019, 05:52 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

unlike the early machines the AMF stuff is all over the place - it was not the same as Harley in keeping records and consistency in quality and workman like manner in production

plus they had spread them selves so thin with available cash anything became the norm with parts on any particular machine - but foundry dates and production being the same

I don't believe any one can assume they were that productive to accomplish that - I have seen 66 heads on 74 a before -- was it stock inventory parts being pulled and used in a cash strapped 1/4 who knows - as like paying for the harley company a day late and a dollar short

Last edited by johnjzjz; 06-06-2019 at 05:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Speeding Big Twin (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 10:29 AM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser

Yes.
How about the brake side first. The 4 Phillip screws holding on the part with buttons,
Get those loose easy like..don't use the impact driver.
We are wanting to see the condition of the wires and the back side of buttons.
You removing Her mirrors makes this easy..The master cylinder wont try to fall off as much.
Clutch side..its probably ok. We can wait till testing time and see if those buttons work.
Well I tried getting that mirror of again this morning and it still was not even budging
So I put some more wd-40 again and I put some on the screws in case those are stuck too

Ill try to check again when I get home

Old 06-06-2019, 10:31 AM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin
I agree it looks like 4 74 and this indicates the bike was built (final assembly) in April 1974.

It痴 interesting though that the rear cylinder head has a casting date code from the same month. In 1974 American Machine and Foundry was involved at H-D which is why the petrol tank nameplates say AMF (along with Harley-Davidson). A lot of Harleys built during the AMF years had problems. Does your dad remember anything about your grandfather having trouble with the original cylinder heads on the bike?
Eric

He hasn稚 mentioned anything. Pretty much all he has said is that his dad was always real careful to take care of it well. I値l see if I remember to ask him lol

I checked the front one and it looks like it has the same 4 74 on it too
Couldnt get a picture of the 4 though my phone didn稚 fit lol

Last edited by Lizy Alexander; 06-06-2019 at 10:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Speeding Big Twin (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 10:38 AM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
unlike the early machines the AMF stuff is all over the place - it was not the same as Harley in keeping records and consistency in quality and workman like manner in production

plus they had spread them selves so thin with available cash anything became the norm with parts on any particular machine - but foundry dates and production being the same

I don't believe any one can assume they were that productive to accomplish that - I have seen 66 heads on 74 a before -- was it stock inventory parts being pulled and used in a cash strapped 1/4 who knows - as like paying for the harley company a day late and a dollar short
I remember my dad saying something about it being not worth as much in the past bc it was from the amf years but I never understood why until now

Thats pretty interesting!

Quick Reply: 73/74 Electra glide help? I知 a motorcycle noob