Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

73/74 Electra glide help? I知 a motorcycle noob

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 10:13 PM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

^^^^ Ah Your smart. You should find a way to block that fitting when you can,say a short piece of the hose with a small bolt/screw in one end?
Lizy,
The cable is loose at Her carb for sure.
But as we can see the cable housing is history/shot.(that's the little loose looking wires) Its time to forget about it...for now.
Dont order a new one yet..this depends on what happens with the carb.
Sometimes a newer version carb is Your best option, and some don't use a choke cable at all.

Last edited by Frog Nuts; 06-19-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:23 PM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog Nuts
^^^^ Ah Your smart. You should find a way to block that fitting when you can,say a short piece of the hose with a small bolt/screw in one end?
Lizy,
The cable is loose at Her carb, try pulling up on the knobb while watching cable at carb.. it,see if it moves.
Okay I値l try again when I go out there next. The last time we tried pulling it up it didn稚 move at all where it痴 connected

also so how do you mean with the hose? like put the screw in one end and stick the open end on the part that is sticking up?

Last edited by Lizy Alexander; 06-19-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:30 PM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser

Originally Posted by shovelsrule

But I've read about some household rust removers:
http://www.thespruce.com/homemade-ru...ecipes-1387936

Maybe you can spray some vinegar on those rusty jugs, rims, spokes, brakediscs... I don't know what it does to aluminum (as I just read it last week) but if it works as well as the article says it might free your **** and stem too.
Test it on some scrap metal parts first.
I値l have to try that! I値l add it to my list of things to get when I actually remember to take the right exit and go to Walmart lol

The following users liked this post:
Frog Nuts (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 10:46 PM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser

Hey Lizy..
Wait and reread my posts again a bit later...I edit them a lot..my bad.
Plus...You should wait and see what others say to make sure I'm right or wrong about stuff..
Yup I'm doing the CYA...maybe You should to.
"also so how do you mean with the hose? like put the screw in one end and stick the open end on the part that is sticking up?" Yes,exactly A 3" section..this is temporary,till we decide what needs done.
Maybe paint this little hose a bit with red/white toe nail polish..we might have to take the pump apart later for cleaning..lets see what others think. (the red/white polish, and this thread is a safety reminder)
BTW, how much have Ya had to spend so far? You can find carburetor cleaner for 2/3 bucks a spray can at the dollar generals,and a jug of vinegar..

Last edited by Frog Nuts; 06-19-2019 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:08 AM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser

Lizy.
This is what I would do if I were in Your shoes. Make sure and read what Johnjzjz and Shovelsrule say please.
We know Shes wet sumped,and that had to happen before the pump hose broke. This means lots of oil in Her engine..
Probably around 3 quarts. Thats enough oil to be high enough that Her oil pump is full..
So.
What I suggest, is buy a can of carb cleaner..and use the plastic nozzle that's taped to the can,
gently drop it into the fitting where the hose broke off. To see how easy it falls in there...Like Your trying to determine if there's any crud...
and then pull it out. Look at it to see if anything shows on it..even waterish liquid. If so, stop and tell us.
Now.
If it looks fine, then attach the nozzle on the spray can tip like the instructions say to. Get Your clear safety goggles on.
Spray some into the fitting..let it settle then spray again. Now put the little piece of temporary hose, plugged on one end, back on the fitting.. to block anything from entering the fitting.
This gives You plenty of time to measure for new hoses..or look up sizes and lengths.(All new oil hoses are needed)
Remember...wait to see what the others say...and smile..so far so good

Last edited by Frog Nuts; 06-20-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:07 AM
shovelsrule
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Hold your horses Frog.
I don't think it's that bad with the oilpump. As far as I can see it's only the primary chain oiler hose that has snapped.

If you look closely you can see the oil feed hose (from the bottom of the oiltank) is in place, big red F.
Behind that is the return hose (goes to the top of the oiltank), big red R, covered with dirt.
On top is the vent line that also goes to the top of the tank.
And the snapped oil line, smaller red p, should go to the other side of the motor to the primary wich makes it the chain oiler. You can see Lizy tried to picture it behind the inner primary.

Can you check the oil lines I described and confirm this Lizy?

Frog Nuts (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 01:08 AM
shovelsrule
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

This is just like a treasure hunt! Yay!

Old 06-20-2019, 04:27 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

plus that outer oil pump cover can be removed with out taking the oil pump off - then it can be reverse cleaned from the inside out and a new gasket and you back to square one

Frog Nuts (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 09:02 AM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser

From what I can tell this is where they each go but I could have mixed some up somewhere lol

Looks like the small broken one(I put it yellow) does go to the other side of the bike like shovelsrule said

then the blue goes under the oil tank and red and green are on top

Old 06-20-2019, 10:28 AM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser

Lizy,
So now its time to add things to Your parts list.
Ill get You the part number for the gasket John mentioned.
And I will Try to find the hose sizes and proper lengths for you...all have to be replaced.
Will need all new hose clamps also. till You get these ordered, and time to install,
How about plugging the nipple so nothing can get inside? (Chain oiler) Using the 3" section of hose with screw.
Then You can resume the cleaning. Battery tray looks great.(and the other parts You've cleaned)
After all the cleaning is done,then its time to start replacing stuff...Most likely we will find other things needing refurbished.
What happened to the yellow wire? I don't see it...is it tucked away?
Its amazing what You've accomplished in less than month...as busy as Ya are with Horses and full time job

Last edited by Frog Nuts; 06-20-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 73/74 Electra glide help? I知 a motorcycle noob