Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

73/74 Electra glide help? I’m a motorcycle noob

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 07:50 PM
FL54
Road Master
Received 423 Likes on 290 Posts

With all due respect Frog, she could get a new brake cable from a bicycle shop and thread it through the outer cable from the handle bar. Done it several times. Beats trying to remove broken screw while it’s on the bike instead of on a bench IMHO.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:47 PM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I ordered some of those metal brushes they should be here tonight so we’ll see a bit later

The following users liked this post:
Frog Nuts (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 04:44 PM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Lizy,
This is a very good price, and is used for both gas and oil.
https://www.bmikarts.com/Black-Neopr...5-_p_5189.html

60weight (07-02-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 09:25 PM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser

Looks like it’s pretty even with the surrounding part

Old 07-01-2019, 10:01 PM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Lizy, It looks like the cables got a crack in it..see the dark line where its going into the drum..middle pic.
Just go ahead and cut it...we will find You a cheap cable,no worries.
Carb needs to be soaking anyhow,and we have plenty time to hunt up a cable.
Relax this evening Young Lady..go watch Roadhouse on Netflix..or something funny.

Last edited by Frog Nuts; 07-01-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:48 AM
60weight
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Cracked halfway through and corroded to much, so not safe to use anyway.
Break it off or cut it is what I would do. Both barrel and cable are available, not expensive at all.
Soak the carburetor before buying anything. Frog that's the best price Ive seen on the oil hose,and 25 foot to,that's enough
for almost every hose on this 74, gas and oil.
thanks for posting it

Last edited by 60weight; 07-02-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Frog Nuts (07-03-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 04:41 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

mid usa sells a inner braded cable replacement with the end fitting for the carb something like 10 bucks

you guys must have completely different air in texas then we do in the northeast - when we spray a bike down soaking it completely it is still wet to the eye a week later

The following 3 users liked this post by johnjzjz:
60weight (07-02-2019), Bumpandrun (07-02-2019), Frog Nuts (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 07:06 AM
musicnbikes
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I’m late to this party, but, man, what a party! I’m very fascinated by this project, the nerve of a young lady, who cares about her family so much, as to tackle an enormous project as this, all so her dad can ride his fathers bike while he’s still able. (Sorry for the long run on sentence,lol) I’ll be watching this thread very carefully. I won’t add much, because I know nothing of shovel-heads, but, I’m very interested in buying one soon, and I’ll learn right along with Lizy. Good luck on your grandfathers bike! I can’t wait to see it run!

Frog Nuts (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 08:15 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
mid usa sells a inner braded cable replacement with the end fitting for the carb something like 10 bucks

you guys must have completely different air in texas then we do in the northeast - when we spray a bike down soaking it completely it is still wet to the eye a week later
Pretty sure this is nothing but love letters......if they had done as many had said here by soaking the bike down with PB,KERO OR WHATEVER. This mess would have already been apart and either spinning over....or sent down the road. It soon will come to and end..... How many of these messes have we bought after the fact. Lmfao...... Its actually become rather laughable....

Last edited by Bumpandrun; 07-02-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:00 AM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser

Well see the thing is I did put a whole bunch on there to the point where it was dripping all over the floor and it already looked dry the next day. Actually every time it has been suggested except for the first couple times before I had the stuff to soak it with I’ve done either everywhere or every screw/nut/bolt I could see. It would’ve had more on it again these recent pictures too but both stores I looked at didn’t have the rust versions of wd or pb so I’m waiting on amazon to deliver it.
I would spray the whole brake deal trying to get that out to where it was almost a stream coming off it and I’d go out a few hours later and it would be nearly completely dry.
Maybe if I had more time than 30 minutes or an hour here and was not as I’ve admitted/stated a million times a complete amateur “this mess” could’ve been going down the road already. I know I’m not going the fastest or getting it done the way someone experienced could have done already. I don’t have the money to be dedicating a whole lot at once to this. I have things that are alive and need to be taken care to stay that way that take priority in what gets spent.
I just need to make at least some progress with this to try to get it running enough to go around the block a few times before my dad has no chance of being able to even do that anymore. The more time passes the more issues he has come up so I can’t put off starting any longer or until I have more time and money to do it. I’d like to be able to spend more time and money on this sooner but I can’t.

And I’m sure there’s many watching this whole thread like it’s a comedy show and that’s fine. I just don’t need y’all to take the time to make the comments about what a joke this is if you’re not gonna take the time to tell me what you would have done. Y’all know I don’t know much. I won’t learn the “right way” by reading minds.

I don’t mean to seem like I’m just going after you either and I’m sorry if it comes off that way. I just wanted to say something about all these comments about all of the advice being a joke or trying to win my heart or love letters and the like. Maybe it is or maybe it isn’t. The way I see it is either way I’m at least learning something from this and getting farther than I would have just trying to figure it out on my own.

I will try to make this the last I say about that. I don’t want the thread to be a huge argument and I definitely don’t want to be arguing with anybody. I just needed to get that out there. I’ll stop now. I’d appreciate it if everybody could just keep the peace

The following 3 users liked this post by Lizy Alexander:
Frog Nuts (07-02-2019), old mago (07-02-2019), shovelsrule (07-03-2019)

Quick Reply: 73/74 Electra glide help? I’m a motorcycle noob