Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

73/74 Electra glide help? I’m a motorcycle noob

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 10:24 AM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

New battery's HAVE to be fully charged before using them.
Shes not going to start for a bit..what we are going for now is simply getting Her to "Turn over"
Like Shes trying to start...understand? This will be after You look inside Her jugs..for rust.
I hope You've discovered She has a soul..and loves all this attention.
Get some of this,its really good stuff.
http://ramproducts.com/Industrial-Su...MIST_LUBRICANT
You can expect to rebuild Her factory carb...replace lots of electrical wires..and lots of reading the factory books.
Read here also of course. Dont be in a hurry ok? You have a jewel here...a "diamond in the rough" so to speak and lots of fun ahead.
As far as Her choke cable..Id say cut it..or disconnect it from carb. This may make it easier to pull off Her dash..but don't force anything.
Have You smiled yet today?

Last edited by Frog Nuts; 05-25-2019 at 01:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lizy Alexander (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 10:57 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
its cheaper to buy a gallon of WD 40 then a case of spray cans and the gallon has more - you will need to then get a spray bottle and bring it inside a clean space - on top of a pile of newspaper lots of them as it going to drip and they can go right in the garbage a week from now

lots of penetrating oils have awful smell but WD40 does not in a confined space >> soak the bike every day for a week while you wait for the 2 service books to be delivered

as said the 2 books will show you location of the engine and frame numbers - if you buy a chilton its a comic book compared to the Harley books -- now pictures all around the machine will help you understand what you actually are going to get into
Lizy, read this again, John was not joking...get WD40 or PB Blaster rust penetrant and rust release soak and do the whole bike (or at least the nuts/bolts/screw and places on the bike that show rust). I would discourage the use of an impact gun....you don't want to brake a bolt/screw. Doesn't look like you used a rust penetrant on the bike in your recent pics. This is actually important before trying to remove nuts and bolts in your present condition....and it will make the bike look better too. However for chrome, I would use 0000 steel wool and a good chrome polish like Simichrome.

https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-16-PB-Penetrating-Catalyst-11-Ounces/dp/B000I2079E?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIJ5POIEPLOQDJTSQ&tag=toolshed0f-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000I2079E%22%20title=%22B%27laster%2016-PB%20Penetrating%20Catalyst%20-%2011-Ounces%22%20target=%22_blank%22%20rel=%22nofollow%22%20%20data-aawp-product-id=%22B000I2079E%22%20data-aawp-product-title=%22B%20laster%2016-PB%20Penetrating%20Catalyst%20-%2011-Ounces%22%20data-aawp-geotargeting=%22true%22%3EB%27laster%2016-PB%20Penetrating%20Catalyst%20-%2011-Ounces%3C/a%3E https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-16-PB-Penetrating-Catalyst-11-Ounces/dp/B000I2079E?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIJ5POIEPLOQDJTSQ&tag=toolshed0f-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000I2079E%22%20title=%22B%27laster%2016-PB%20Penetrating%20Catalyst%20-%2011-Ounces%22%20target=%22_blank%22%20rel=%22nofollow%22%20%20data-aawp-product-id=%22B000I2079E%22%20data-aawp-product-title=%22B%20laster%2016-PB%20Penetrating%20Catalyst%20-%2011-Ounces%22%20data-aawp-geotargeting=%22true%22%3EB%27laster%2016-PB%20Penetrating%20Catalyst%20-%2011-Ounces%3C/a%3E

https://www.lowes.com/pd/wd-40-speci...yABEgKn-PD_BwE

https://www.lowes.com/pd/wd-40-speci...yABEgLB_vD_BwE

Last edited by hscic; 05-25-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:46 AM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser

Lizy?
After Blue Moon is in the garage,will you turn this up for Her please?
Methinks both of You need it by now.
And tell your Father Happy Birthday

Last edited by Frog Nuts; 05-25-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:08 PM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Lizy, read this again, John was not joking...get WD40 or PB Blaster rust penetrant and rust release soak and do the whole bike (or at least the nuts/bolts/screw and places on the bike that show rust). I would discourage the use of an impact gun....you don't want to brake a bolt/screw. Doesn't look like you used a rust penetrant on the bike in your recent pics. This is actually important before trying to remove nuts and bolts in your present condition....and it will make the bike look better too. However for chrome, I would use 0000 steel wool and a good chrome polish like Simichrome.

https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-16-PB...Ounces%3C/a%3E

https://www.lowes.com/pd/wd-40-speci...yABEgKn-PD_BwE

https://www.lowes.com/pd/wd-40-speci...yABEgLB_vD_BwE
Ill try that! I just tried getting the pin out of the handle to put the new one but it’s stuck too. Sprayed a bunch of wd 40 on it a few minutes ago and I’ll probably go spray some more in a little bit and check again.
The clip part come off fairly easily but the pin itself is definitely not too willing to come out lol

Ill finish the can of the wd 40 on the rest of it when I go out and spray some more on the handle in a little bit

Ill check for the pb blaster stuff too and see if we have that. If not sounds like me and my dog are gonna make a trip to Home Depot soon!

So PB blaster rust release/(more)wd 40/0000 steel wool/ simichrome are going on the list!

....So we actually do have 2 cans of pb blaster and another 3 of wd 40 but not one of them will spray
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Last edited by Lizy Alexander; 05-25-2019 at 02:25 PM.
hscic (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 02:11 PM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Frog Nuts
Lizy?
After Blue Moon is in the garage,will you turn this up for Her please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7O7EcKRL9A
Methinks both of You need it by now.
And tell your Father Happy Birthday

I sure will!

Old 05-25-2019, 02:50 PM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser

Donka
Ok, Im going to try and corrupt You one more time..You said "....So we actually do have 2 cans of pb blaster and another 3 of wd 40 but not one of them will spray
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)"
So heres what to do. Buy the same at Home Depot,go put them in the car...grab the ones that don't spray..and with the receipt
march right back in acting madder than a hatter.
Have Ya noticed that we tease?(sometimes) and ask You weird questions to see if Yer paying Attention?
p.s.
You missed one,has to do with springs/seat.

Last edited by Frog Nuts; 05-25-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:08 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

what we do is turn it up side down and poke a hole ( note small one it will spray the remaining gas out -- then do it on both sides of the bottom - and pore it into a spray bottle But DONT shake it it will act like hot soda in the sun after shaking it

you need to spray down everything and leave it over night and do that for 3 days - twice a day - cant emphasize that more

I do not believe it is going to run and if it does it will hurt parts that are not hurt right now - it is going to require a complete tear down - and I believe that is beyond your pay grade ( totally ) not being a smart ask just the truth

sell it as is as a barn find for 3 or 4 thousand bucks and go buy a running one for almost the same money -- or better yet a 1991 to 2002 sportster 883 or 1200 and enjoy the riding with the money you get from the FLH -- I am serious about this once you take it apart you at 1/2 the money a barn find is worth

riggpigg (07-29-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 03:13 PM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser

John..slow down please.
This Harley has family history..
Her Grandfather owned it..then Her Dad..now its Hers.
Lizy IS smart enough..and very determined.
After all, how did You learn how to wrench? And now you build very nice custom scooters..
But what She has here,as You can see..is a Harley like it left the showroom...Just needs Lizys TLC
Cant get any better than this.
Right.
In fact..how about a wager.
Ill bet 200.00 that Lizy starts it up..Herself...after Shes done..and it runs just fine.

Last edited by Frog Nuts; 05-25-2019 at 04:05 PM.
SparkyF250 (10-12-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 04:24 PM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
what we do is turn it up side down and poke a hole ( note small one it will spray the remaining gas out -- then do it on both sides of the bottom - and pore it into a spray bottle But DONT shake it it will act like hot soda in the sun after shaking it

you need to spray down everything and leave it over night and do that for 3 days - twice a day - cant emphasize that more

I do not believe it is going to run and if it does it will hurt parts that are not hurt right now - it is going to require a complete tear down - and I believe that is beyond your pay grade ( totally ) not being a smart ask just the truth

sell it as is as a barn find for 3 or 4 thousand bucks and go buy a running one for almost the same money -- or better yet a 1991 to 2002 sportster 883 or 1200 and enjoy the riding with the money you get from the FLH -- I am serious about this once you take it apart you at 1/2 the money a barn find is worth
I never even thought to try poking a hole im always afraid it’ll like explode or something lol
Maybe I’ll let my brother try that when he gets here haha

And I totally understand what you mean and you’re probably right it is waaaay out of my pay grade but I figure (probably gonna irritate people who actually know what they’re doing and have the experience/knowledge to fix it by saying this but in my head it makes sense to me) that even if it takes some time and more than a few tries to get it right it’s still at least slightly better off than it was sitting outside for the past 30 years as long as I’m extra careful not to break anything that isn’t easily replaceable and try to clean it up as best I can lol

My dad actually was trying to sell it for a while recently even had someone from the Harley dealership nearby come look at it and the highest offer he could get was $2500. At that point to me it doesn’t seem worth it to sell it since it has a lot of sentimental value to him (it’s pretty much all he has left from his father) It was pretty obvious he didn’t want to sell.

Not only that but he’s had a pretty tough time the past several years from a brain tumor to heart surgery so I really would like to get it to where he could at least ride it around the neighborhood a bit before he’s not physically capable of it anymore. Id just find someone to fix it but we just won’t have the money all at once to pay someone anytime soon for that. Not trying to be a downer or anything but there’s my story/reason behind trying to learn.

I’m sure a lot of people will think me to be “not the brightest light in the candelabra” for it but I’m still gonna try! And hey, y’all can all say “I told you so” later on if I never figure it out

My dad does have a pretty good amount of mechanical knowledge and says he has built several motorcycles from a box (not sure what that means though) he just doesn’t have the best memory anymore (brain tumor didn’t help) and doesn’t always remember everything.
But I’m pretty sure he would stop me before I did anything too detrimental at least!

Anyways I can’t thank y’all enough for the help and advice yallve shared with me already I’ve already gotten a lot farther than I would have without it

Frog Nuts (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 04:57 PM
Frog Nuts
Cruiser

Wow.
I'm in..all the way.
Now I understand Your determination.
“not the brightest light in the candelabra” ? Wrong..Your smarter than most of us.
Thank You for telling Your situation Young Lady! When You get time,how about pics of whatever tools Ya have to work with,
including lifts/jacks and such. Also...if Ive said anything wrong just slap me down.
I will be here all the time to help with all I can. This includes shipping You tools/parts and such.
Ask anything..no questions are stupid.May I try for another smile?
John is a good guy..a bit blunt at times but very smart and a great Mechanic.
Hscic is trustworthy also,and He knows how to make Harley's look their best.
Me? I'm just a ugly ole Biker that wants to win Yer heart...
(If I was younger)

Last edited by Frog Nuts; 05-25-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 73/74 Electra glide help? I’m a motorcycle noob