Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

73/74 Electra glide help? I知 a motorcycle noob

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 06:51 PM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 288 Posts

wheres the party when that thing fires up ?

The following users liked this post:
Lizy Alexander (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 09:59 PM
Lizy Alexander
Cruiser
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Well of the part that I managed to actually get fairly clean it looks pretty good I think. Problem is it took like 30 mins of scrubbing to get to that point and to take a bit of the gunk off the rest of the chain that I can reach but most of it still has a pretty good layer of dirt on it. I値l probably try and get a little more clean tomorrow I致e reached my chain scrubbing quota for the day lol

btw ordered a scope like the one in the link supposed to arrive tomorrow so that値l be cool

Old 07-23-2019, 02:39 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by 60weight
Time for more pictures..Your pen light,inside Blues jugs.
Her pistons are now in a lower position..so we can see the cylinder walls.
Hscic bought one of these,
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=usbendoscope
I think You would have lots of fun too.
You could see in everything, Blues tranny,primary..jugs..and imagine what else Ya could look at without anyone knowing
Yes fun stuff and you will be able to see in hard to get-to places...not only on your bike. Here is my latest fun...found the source of my oil drip. Would not have been able to see it unless I lifted the bike high enough to look behind the primary....and you can obviously take pictures/videos from your phone app.

Keep up the good work.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:26 PM
Ghost_Pony
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Greetings Lizy,
I've been following your progress since your first post, you've been getting a lot of good advice & tips from the other members of the forum & so I'll stand back & let them keep it up. There are a couple of things though, in all of this I haven't really seen anyone offer up any parts to help you out. Yeah, Dennis Kirk is okay, but they can be really pricey. I use catalogs from time to time, but if I'm hunting down oem/nos parts, ( nos means new old stock ) then I go to Ebay.

At this moment there are two things, the "throttle cable" you had to cut to get the carburetor out is actually a "throttle wire", 1974 was the final year of the internal handlebar throttle, you didn't cut a whole lot of the solid wire off, so the metal casing can be cut back a little, ( about the same length as the piece of wire you snipped. Then the throttle wire can be reset in it's clamp & run back through the throttle lever on the carburetor. Secondly, the carb, you can hold off on having the carburetor rebuilt, I'll be happy to send you one that's nearly new, totally rebuilt & with an adjustable main jet setup on it, it'll bolt right up as it's the correct Bendix carb for the bike.

And don't throw away the two gray handlebar wiring harnesses as they're original to the bike. You can buy a complete wiring harness for the bike for $100.00 or less, depending on who you get it from. I can actually give you a set of aftermarket handlebar wiring harness with the switches soldered on & the bayonet terminals already installed.

Rewiring Blue really isn't that difficult as there's a terminal block under the headlight nacelle & it's numbered, your shop manual will have a wiring schematic in back to show you where each wire plugs in.

If you like, send me a pm here on the forum & we can figure out what you need, and what I have, none of it will cost you a dime. That way you'll have a good many parts that you need for your bike, not to mention extra cash to use for more major items.

Cheers, Ghost

The following 5 users liked this post by Ghost_Pony:
FL54 (07-23-2019), hscic (07-24-2019), Juan L (08-05-2019), musicnbikes (07-24-2019), shovelsrule (07-24-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 06:41 PM
FL54
Road Master
Received 423 Likes on 290 Posts

Very generous of you Ghost. Good on you.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:01 AM
Bamagirl32571
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Ghost that's awesome of you!!

Old 07-24-2019, 08:10 AM
musicnbikes
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

What a community! That痴 a very nice gesture, Ghost! Let痴 get this bike running, Lizy!

Old 07-24-2019, 01:49 PM
shovelsrule
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow! A working carb will save a lot of work! Awesome gesture Ghost!
And now we also know the starter part of the wiring harness is in good shape.
Besides getting the handlebar controls off and fixed it's time to look at things tot do next.
- I would check the ignition part of the wiring harness; see if the points still work and make the plugs spark.
- Look inside the primary to check the condition of the chain and lube it.

Try to take some pictures of the points and primary chain please

Oh, and i would love to see a picture of the rear sprocket to see it's condition.

And if you have a bike lift it's much easier to clean the chain by rotating the rear wheel.

Last edited by shovelsrule; 07-24-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:04 PM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 288 Posts

for the chain use a round wire brush wheel in a drill

Old 07-25-2019, 02:28 AM
Ghost_Pony
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Along with my message I posted a number of photos of parts I have for Lizy's bike, but for some reason they didn't show up. Can anyone tell me just what I might have done wrong ?

Ghost

Quick Reply: 73/74 Electra glide help? I知 a motorcycle noob