Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

‘78 Shovelhead Ressurection check-list?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 02:23 PM
drummrboy67
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ‘78 Shovelhead Ressurection check-list?

I know this kind of a big one. After 15 years in deep space sleep I want to put my 78 lowrider back where it belongs - on the road- . So I got new tires, tubes, fuel lines, fuel filter, plugs, battery, vacuum break bleeder , rear brake cylinder rebuild kit, oil pump rebuild kit and some shiny things. So, the bike was running when I put it up during my divorce. Other than strapping all this stuff on and spraying some ether into the super E and firing it off- do any of you have some kind of “Resurrection - Checklist that you would go through to bring a bike back from a long hibernation?

Old 06-25-2019, 04:36 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Guess my first question is what kinda shape was it in 15 years ago? Where/what kind of conditions was it stored in?

Head, cylinder and base gaskets can dry out in that time and lead to leaks.

Pull pushrods to replace cork washers

Does the motor still over by hand? How about some oil down the cylinders? They gotta be really dry by now.

Maybe pull and flush oil bag before adding new oil.

Pull check valve/by pass valve on oil pump add new sping and check ball.

Pull and clean tappet screen

Rebuild carb. Why you going to spray ether in the carb?

Pull gas tank/s and clean.

Pull brake lines and flush them out completely. Disassmble and clean front and rear brake master cylinders then reuild each. Pull brake pads and check for wear limits

Change fork oil.

Pull swing arm bolt and regrease swing arm bearings.

Repack front and rear wheel bearings.

Pull clutch plates, clean and reinstall. They are probably pretty much stuck together after all this time.

Before firing up check all electrical connections. Look for/replace any corroded wires. Check turn signal, lights and horn to make sure they operate correctly. What kinda shape were the coil, starter, relay and solenoid in befor you put her to rest?

Old 06-25-2019, 07:38 PM
drummrboy67
1st Gear
Default Thankyou that’s ALOT!!

So that’s exactly what I was looking for . Somethings familiar some not so much . So the motor turns by hand and still has compression although it was puffing a little smoke when I put it up (rings). It was shifting hard before I don’t think it ever got a new clutch in the 4 years inroad it . Starter was working but had years on it. Check ball was sticking before and lifter was ticking . Thanks immensely for the list - I gives me something to get going on - any other direction you have I’m all ears

Old 06-26-2019, 12:35 PM
insight75
Novice

On my 75, I took the approach of replacing everything that has rubber in it. Now, for me nothing was ever replaced on it so it may be different. I am going to rebuild both brake calipers and replace the rubber brake lines.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:09 AM
drummrboy67
1st Gear
Default I agree

Rubber is a damn good place to start. I’d like to do everything Panz produced a damn thorough list - a lot I hadn’t even considered honestly - ima start by replacing everything I listed that I picked up in the first wave of buying and then see what kind of shape the motor is in . I know it could use a going through - and I may just have to unstrap it and throw it on a bench for some bearings and rings -

Last edited by drummrboy67; 06-27-2019 at 03:11 AM.