Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

building a shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 02:02 AM
FXDBCUSTOM
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a shovelhead

I am toying with the idea of building a shovel over the winter. After I was done wrenching on my current Harley, I realized I was somewhat saddened the project was finished and the idea of another factory add on on didn't appeal to me. I'm not quite sure what exactly I'm looking for. I had the opportunity to buy a a shovel recently and turned it down because of the lack of knowledge. 1966-1985 leaves a lot to uncover... The only Harley I ever disliked was an 883. I can can handle just under 800 lbs comfortably... With the bike being older Im expecting handling to require more experience so Im thinking the lighter side would be better?? I do know I'd prefer a kick start, the appropriate frame for a 5'4" woman, recommendation on motor/ year/ model reliability /cost effective / which ones require PIA fixes.... keeping in mind sound is everything!! And something that god willing a winter in the garage will produce an awesome 'round towner that might be rough yet but that the hubby and I will be like kids trying to get to first on riding days.... given we can tune it just right,,, and I can learn its flaws and know how to kick it over without his help. I have somewhat of an idea of what Im in for, and want to form a solid plan. I have enlisted my mechanic husband, welder/fabricator father and an antique motor guru. With that in mind, any beginner advice??

Old 06-26-2019, 06:10 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,911 Likes on 2,559 Posts

My advice, find a complete bike, even it is a mess. Starting with a motor then trying to find all the pieces, you will get nickle and dimed to death. Start with something pretty complete and fix as needed. Shovels in general sit pretty low with a frame mounted seat, you should be cool at your height. With your weight concerns I would look for a FX/E which are Low Riders, Super Glides etc. FLH has a heavy front end and the bikes have a lot of "stuff" on them to make them heavier.

Last piece, frame and motor VIN#'s need to match, don't even bother with something that does not match. Still plenty of bikes out there for $3k-$5k, find the one that gives you the best foundation and have fun with it. It will always be a second bike, keep that in mind.

The following users liked this post:
FXDBCUSTOM (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 06:22 AM
FXDBCUSTOM
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you!

Old 06-26-2019, 06:35 AM
lonesum
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 325 Likes on 217 Posts

Pleanty of 'ol shovels out there and at a reasonable price, do the home work. Couple of on going projects on the forums right now also, and plenty of knowledgble members on here that will throw in their .02 cents worth.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:00 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Good advice above.. certainly what Architect says...
Around here... the guys that want to get dirty, and have a bit of inexpensive Fun... Buy old Ironheads.. That my friend will give you all you want.. and if done right... it will run like a Scalded Dog...

http://www.amraonline.com/BikePics/77lft.jpg

Last edited by Racepres; 06-26-2019 at 08:01 AM.