Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Backfire through the carb under hard throttle.....unless I remove the air filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 05:06 PM
insight75
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfire through the carb under hard throttle.....unless I remove the air filter

My FX runs great. Nice low idle. Really a pleasure to ride......until I goose the throttle under load. For the hell of it I tried removing the air filter which to my surprise helped. When this resolved the issue (only with a very slight hesitation) I went and replaced the air filter element. I'm using the stock air cleaner (green foam with oil). After installing the new one the problem returns. Should I go ahead and install a high flow air filter? I was really trying to keep things stock and not sure a high flow element will help. Carb mixture is non adjustable and is stock. Stock mufflers/exhaust as well.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:07 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

if your trying to keep it stock why are you thinking about putting hi flow air filter on it

right now in NW jersey its over 100 degrees with super hi humidity and we are a 1000 feet up from sea level - no carb will work correctly

Old 07-21-2019, 06:12 PM
insight75
Novice

It was like this for a while to be honest.....the temp didn't impact anything but I do wonder about the fact that I'm up in the mountains.....

Old 07-21-2019, 06:18 PM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 288 Posts

too lean ?

Old 07-21-2019, 06:36 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

i would sonic clean the carb and kit it THAT is if you have owned it for a while and it did not do this till ( It was like this for a while ) I have no idea how long that is

Old 07-21-2019, 09:57 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Sponges are for washing the Bike... Paper is for taking tuning notes...K&N alone, Makes air Filters...and there is one that fits an O.E. Box...
If yer not gonna do it right... well.....good luck!

Old 07-22-2019, 01:39 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

If you are gonna use the foam filter I would not oil it. Guess it works out if you live on back roads that are unpaved but other than that why?

My 49 and 65 use the copper mesh. Never oiled them and have had no problems. My 78 and 84 use the foam filter (unoiled and I have had no problems with either bike. Maybe not “stock” but I am the only one who can see it. K&N filter are probably the best on the market. not cheap but a. Worthwhile investment for sure.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:23 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,920 Likes on 2,563 Posts

1- K&N makes filters that will fit stock air cleaner assemblies, I like W&W in Germany for finding the right one. Google them.

2- Carb rebuilds will clean away many issues with old units, I would buy a good kit, break it down and clean it real good (sonic if available) and put it back on the bike. You will be pleasantly surprised how much better she will run. They get gummed up in all the little passages and crevices, modern fuel sucks, it is a very worthwhile effort.

Good luck.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:33 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
If you are gonna use the foam filter I would not oil it. Guess it works out if you live on back roads that are unpaved but other than that why?

My 49 and 65 use the copper mesh. Never oiled them and have had no problems. My 78 and 84 use the foam filter (unoiled and I have had no problems with either bike. Maybe not “stock” but I am the only one who can see it. K&N filter are probably the best on the market. not cheap but a. Worthwhile investment for sure.
All good if ya live in Town... Any real dust or dirt???? yer engine will certainly and Absolutely Suffer thru ingestion of ... Dirt and Dust...

Hell... I gots friends in town who use Velocity stacks and about any old "bird catcher"...
They don't ride out to my Place!!!!

Last edited by Racepres; 07-22-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:35 AM
insight75
Novice

Thanks guys. I did rebuild the carb and cleaned the heck out of it. Gonna try a K&N.

Quick Reply: Backfire through the carb under hard throttle.....unless I remove the air filter