Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Dual Plug wire routing

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 06:55 PM
ShovelheadSebak
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dual Plug wire routing

Hey everyone,

the current shovel I’m building for so one is a dual plug 80”. The coils are mounted with one in the stock location and one on the middle motor mount. Has anyone done this, and if so how did you find was best to route the spark plug cables?

Old 08-07-2019, 07:06 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Haven't done that one...
Single Fire?? Rearmost coil to rear cylinder..
Dual Fire??? Don't matter much..But I would 1 each from each coil...or Stock but redundant..

Old 08-07-2019, 08:06 PM
ShovelheadSebak
Advanced

The plan is dual fire. One from each coil to each cylinder

Old 08-07-2019, 08:26 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ShovelheadSebak
The plan is dual fire. One from each coil to each cylinder
How I would do it..
Now,,, Be very careful of primary resistance... especially depending on what Ignition.. Dual fire is Not normally a Dual Plug setup.. unless the ignitions are Stacked [ie Independent as in Fuel Racing Applications]

Old 08-07-2019, 10:39 PM
ShovelheadSebak
Advanced

Yep that’s all figured out. 2 x dyna 5ohm coils and a dyna DS6-2 ignition. They even give you the diagram and notes to hook it up.

i just need photo ideas for plug routing. Had I done this bike from scratch Ida used one of those custom engine mounts that hold two tower coils

Old 08-07-2019, 10:51 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

FWIW, here is how mine is routed.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:28 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,836 Likes on 17,455 Posts

Originally Posted by ShovelheadSebak
Yep that’s all figured out. 2 x dyna 5ohm coils and a dyna DS6-2 ignition. They even give you the diagram and notes to hook it up.

i just need photo ideas for plug routing. Had I done this bike from scratch Ida used one of those custom engine mounts that hold two tower coils
Not a lot of choices on how to run the plug wires except the stock mount to the rear cyl. and the mid mount to the front. Maybe flipping the coil and spacing it out a bit so the plugs wires face inward, cleaner having them run out along both sides to the plugs that way. Be a pain to play with the wires but .........

Edit: the DS6-2 if memory serves me is configured for single fire, if so no reason to try and jury rig it to run dual fire.

I run that system with the tower coils, works great no issues or trouble timing to single fire. Just time off the front cylinder as usual and run with it.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 08-07-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:23 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Not a lot of choices on how to run the plug wires except the stock mount to the rear cyl. and the mid mount to the front. Maybe flipping the coil and spacing it out a bit so the plugs wires face inward, cleaner having them run out along both sides to the plugs that way. Be a pain to play with the wires but .........

Edit: the DS6-2 if memory serves me is configured for single fire, if so no reason to try and jury rig it to run dual fire.

I run that system with the tower coils, works great no issues or trouble timing to single fire. Just time off the front cylinder as usual and run with it.
Your choice dual fire or single fire in this scenario... Still Must use the Dyna wiring diagram, for the coils, but plug routing can control dual fire or single fire... if desired.. not a Jury Rig... actually an accepted method..
I have always utilized single fire with Dual Plugs, ...and I always choose dual fire with Single Plugs..and never single fire..
But... Lots of folks configure the plug wires to create dual Fire utilizing a Single Fire ignition... You Choose...depending on Compression Ration for me...

Old 08-08-2019, 09:09 AM
ShovelheadSebak
Advanced

I’m getting all turned around with how we’re talking about doing single or dual fire. My plan was to do it as drawn in the lower schematic below and run a plug wire from each coil to each cylinder. Dual fire right?

Old 08-08-2019, 09:10 AM
ShovelheadSebak
Advanced

Well as I looked at that schematic again I see that it’s clearly labeled front and rear cylinder coil. So I guess it’ll be both wires from a coil to a cylinder. For single fire

Quick Reply: Dual Plug wire routing