Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Oil in Air cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:13 PM
80Shovelhead
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in Air cleaner?

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have a 1980 Tour Glide that I just got running again after it had been sitting for 20 years in my garage. I have a question. Does it have an oil bath air cleaner? It has a hose that goes to the back of the intake that squirts oil into the air cleaner BUT I dont see any drain or anyway for the oil to leave the air cleaner??? I looks likethe onlywaythe oilcould exit is throughthe carb, which i dont think is good. Any ideas???

Also the recomended transmission oil it Premium Harley Davidson transmission lube. Is that the only thing I can put in it?

Thanks alot!
Steve

Old 07-26-2007, 01:41 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RE: Oil in Air cleaner?

No, it doesn't have an oil bath air cleaner. That's the Shovelhead puke. You need to disconnect the line that goes from the crankcase breather (backside, right side, next to the oil pump)to your air cleaner. Just cut it off near the air cleaner and let it hang below the bike. You can buy an aftermarket crankcase breather filter to plug into it. Look at other Shovels to get theidea. If your scoot has been sitting for that long, you probably need to change the oil lines. On an FLT, it's a pain in the ***, but well worth it and may save you problems down the road.
In the tranny, use 20w50 Castrol Syntec, Mobile 1 or some other top of the line synthetic oil, same in the primary. Fill it to factory specs. The reason I haven't recommended Harley oil, Redline or Royal Purple, You can get the other stuff anywhere. The FLT 5 speed DOES NOT use 90w gear lube like the 4 speed.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:22 PM
jmetro
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

the line going to your air cleaner is the crankcase breather hose. when a shovel or evo that has an oil tank above the oil pump sits for a while all of the oil in the tank bleeds into the crank case. when you go to start it up, the oil pump cannot pump all of that oil back to the tank fast enough, so it gets blown out the breather, which in your case is routed to your air cleaner.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:51 PM
80Shovelhead
3rd Gear

You dont realize how much oil comes out of that line lol it squirts out. If iwere to putthe hose toground there would be a pretty substantial puddle of oil in a matter for a few mins. In the manual for it it says to soak the filter in oil and then put it in the air box.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:35 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior

We realize how much oil comes out. We've lived with Shovel puke for years. I rode my Shovel pretty regular, so it didn't happen often. Mostly after sitting for a couple weeks. As you ride the bike more and more, it will lessen. Get rid of the old stock air cleaner element and get a K&N element.

"the line going to your air cleaner is the crankcase breather hose. when a shovel or evo that has an oil tank above the oil pump sits for a while all of the oil in the tank bleeds into the crank case. when you go to start it up, the oil pump cannot pump all of that oil back to the tank fast enough, so it gets blown out the breather, which in your case is routed to your air cleaner." This is a true statement.

I always kept a pan under the bike so when it started, it would drop in the pan and not on the floor. Everybody has tryed to address this issue, but noone had cured it (new checkball and spring, new oil pump, yada yada yada)I guess the best defense is to keep your oil changed, using a quality oil, and ride your bike often!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:30 AM
80Shovelhead
3rd Gear

Ok well I guess thats what I'll do then. Thank you everyone for all of you help! I really appreciate it. I was kind of worried there for a second. Does anyone have a good link for pictures of shovel heads from this year?

Old 07-27-2007, 01:54 PM
jmetro
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

another thing though......... if your rings are worn out, the case positive and negative pressures that help scavenge oil wont be there......... so if the problem doesn't fix itself with regular riding, you may need a top end, as well check the return lines from the oil pump and make sure the oil filter is not blocked. any restriction in the return system can cause sumping (term for oil puking from the breather) these are only ness to check if you ride it everyday for a week and it continues to puke. and i don't mean just starting it up, RIDE THE BIKE!!! the worst thing you can do for any harley is let it sit.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:14 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior

This sucks. I'm trying to download a picture of my shovel dragbike, but can't. Getting a "error message"

Old 07-27-2007, 09:17 PM
custom67
Intermediate

Well don't give up yet, we want to see your bike.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:56 AM
80Shovelhead
3rd Gear

It only has 11,895 miles on it soI doubt theringsare bad. I'll just have to get tags and stuff for it and ride it. I might take it for a ride tomorrow down a few back roads.

Quick Reply: Oil in Air cleaner?