Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1978 FLH turn indicators not blinking... short?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 12:00 PM
McBoney
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 FLH turn indicators not blinking... short?

Right, further to my earlier posts about the 1978 FLH that I found after having been stood still for a few years... it is now running, and running really well! However, before it can go for its MOT, one issue is still foxing me: the turn indicators are not working properly. I will write down a list of symptoms and hopefully someone will have an answer.

1) When pressing either button on the bars, the respective (L or R) frontindicator lights up well, but doesn't blink. At the same time, both rear lights glow faintly whether one presses the L or R button. Again, no blinking there either.

2) When pressing both buttons at the same time, the front lights both blink and the rear ones are dead.

3) When switching on the emergency switch, only the front ones light up and blink, but it seems to work on a different flasher unit (6 leads). Rear are dead.

4) I replaced the directional flasher unit(2 leads) with a new one and with that in, nothing works!

5) I connected a test lamp and both flasher units (old and new) to a separate 12v carbattery and the test lamp lights up, but doesn't blink (but not sure if it is supposed to!)

6) I traced all the wiring I can see and nothing seems to be amiss with that. All wires flow as per my wiring diagram, the switches in handle bars are not shorting and there are no obvious 'illegal' crossovers. The only area of wiring I have not looked at is under tank and under rear fender.

7) I connected the two wires that go into the flasher together without a flasher in between and that gets me both fronts glowing well and rear ones dead.

Please help! I wanna ride...

Paul

P.s one other item: the neutral indicator light is not working. I tested the bulb, and that is fine..... coudl it be theswitch? If so, how to test and where is that located?

Old 10-13-2007, 12:51 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts
Default RE: 1978 FLH turn indicators not blinking... short?

McBoney.. couple of kick thoughts. Not sure if you have an early or late 78, but from looking at the diagrams in my books they seem to be similar on what you are discussing. The directional and emergency flashers are seperate systems.

The directional system consists of the front (and rear) diectional lights, a directional flasher, left and right pilot lamps.

The emergency flasher consists of the emergency flasher switch and the four-way flasher.

Both the 4-way flasher and directional flasher have a commmon terminal (#3) on the front terminal board (should be the orange wire).

I think some of what you may need to look at is mounted under your gas tanks (or squished between the frame and tanks). I would suggest pulling the tanks and replacing the emergency flasher as well as the switch.

BTW you say you got zip on your dierctional flasher ubnit now that you replaced. Are you sure you put the wires back in the right spot? (not dissin you man, but sometimes we all get tired and ***** things up).

In response to your last question the neutral light indicator is threacded into the transmission top cover. The switch is permanently assembled and if it fails to close the circuit when the operating plunger is depressed, it must be replaced. (that per the HD factory manual)

Old 10-13-2007, 04:34 PM
McBoney
Advanced

Thanks for the comments. It is an early one, 70', not 80'. Your description of the system is correct and matches to what I have on the bike, as well as in my book.

I was hoping not to have to remove the tanks, but I guess I will have to....

Both switches are OK (again, tested on my separate test bed), but I will follow your advice on replacing the emergency flasher unit. When I am at the shop I shall ask them to test the flasher unit I bought... you never know if I bought a duff one!

Don't worry, I ***** things up all the time and as such have trained myself to do things three times, from scratch. I checked the wiring, tried them the other way round, interconnected them, and testedboth flasher unitson a separate battery with a test lamp (with same results!). Theydid light up but didn'tblink, but not sure if it should have.

On the neutral light, I shall go hunt for it and see where I get in terms of being able toreplace it.

Thanks!

Paul

Where does all the oil come from? Is it still purging from standing still for 5 years? I can't find where it is coming from; a gasket leak or maybe a breather pipe (where is that breather pipe on an earlyshovel, on my '73 sportster it came out on the RH side of the crankcase, here I can't find it)

Old 10-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Bridgeendfarm
Advanced

I have a 1983 and they didn't work when I got it. Now I checked the bulbs, the ground for the bulbs which I found one not hooked up, and the power 12 volt side. Once I replaced the bad bulbs,fixed the grounds, etc. Someone told me on here to keep the button pushed in for a while so when I did I discoveried I have to keep the button on either side pushed in for about 3-6seconds for the turns to start flashing.Once I let go of the button they quit.I bought a HD service manual book for mine which has helped me alot.My flasher is a 3 pin not two? My hazard is a toggle and isn't hooked up anymore yet but I plan to just energize both turns with the switch once I get to it.

On your neutral which mine also didn't work,I have a 5 speed tranny so it probably not in the same spot but minelooks like a little pressure switch and it is just below the clutch lever on top of the tranny. It has one wire on it, which is on thetop of the switchand itjust snaps off, I tested mine by taking my test lead hooking it to the postive side of the battery and placing it on the top of the switch and wire. My neutral light came on. I next placed the bike in neutral turned the ignition on and hooked my test lead to a good ground. I then placed the test lead on the switch and wire which my test leadlit up so I knew I had power at the switch. Bought a new switch and changed it which was just using a5/8 socket. Hooked everything back up and she works like a charm.Hope my problems and solutionshelpsome for I am not a expert

Old 10-14-2007, 12:51 AM
Bridgeendfarm
Advanced

My breather is on the RH side just aft ofthe oil pump and cam cover. Your could be sealed off? which side is your oil leak on? Do you have a secondary chain oiler on yours?Mine was removed before I bought it andfolks on here told me they leak badly. My guess is if it has been sitting you do need to replace some seals, hosesand gaskets here and there. Primary could be another area of lost oil.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:30 AM
McBoney
Advanced

Thanks Bridge, appreciate the time you took to write it all up.

I shall try all of those things first and if that doesn't help, take the tanks off to see what's underneath.

I will have a look for the breather pipebut have no idea about thesecondary oiler... I will need someone with experience to tell me, I know the people, but need an MOT first so I can ride it to them. Indicators must work for that, so that is where I will concentrate my efforts.

It leaks from the bottom, and as it sits leaning to left, it drips at the left side, but that is not to say that is where it is coming from - could be anywhere.

Thanks!
Paul

btw, your three pin flasher is not original, at least according to my HD manuals that cover 78-84 big twins... they are all 2-pin as far as I can see.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:31 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Paul, if you are still running a primary chain, a little oil on the left side of the bike as it sits is normal. But, too much oil could be a symptom of a leaky tramsmission main shaft oil seal.

Puking oil on start up could be caused by a sticky check valve ball. I assume you are running the stock aluminum oil pump. If you look at it it somewhat resembles a backward 'j' shape. On the top are are two screws, one for the bypass valve spring plunger, and the smaller of the two for the check valve ball. Since the bike has been sitting for 5 yrsI would recommend taking those components out and cleaning, replacing parts as needed. Sticky check valve parts leading to puking oil is common on the older bike when they sit for a long while.

If you get a chance, post a flick for us...Dave

Old 10-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Bridgeendfarm
Advanced

Thanks for letting me know, I have to check that out as I have found a lot of stuff rigged so to speak when it comes to the electrical.I am a newby and learning myself.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:12 PM
McBoney
Advanced

Ok, had a closer look again. I have the stock pump and will follow Panz4ever's suggestions, but I have already discovered that the chain oiler screw is screwed shut tightly and the pipe running from it has been removed.

I will take the bike apart (again) and try to see where it is coming from. Both breather pipes I discovered are dry, so that is not where it is coming from.

I tested all the indicatorbulbs and they are all OK, so are all the earth connections. Keeping the button depressed for a full 20 secs did not get them flashing. Removing one rear bulb did stop the other one glowing faintly, so they are crossed over somewhere..... but where? All is well under rear mudguard too (nifty how that lifts up!). It now can only be somewhere between the tanks, or the emergency flasher (or a faultyindicator flasher and the new one I bought is b*ggered too). Bike needs to come apart anyway.....

I CANNOT find that neutral indicator switch. It must be buried under oil tank or something.... again, when the bits come off I guess I will find it.

Thanks for all the comments! Will try to upload a photo tomorrow.

Paul

Old 10-14-2007, 08:12 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Paul, stand/kmeel on the left side of your bike. Look at where the speedo cable comes into your tranny case. Just above it are two wires coming out of a switch in the top of your tranny lid. This is the neutral switch.

Quick Reply: 1978 FLH turn indicators not blinking... short?