Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovel rear cyl blowin oil smoke.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Shovel rear cyl blowin oil smoke.

Sure hope this solves the problem BC.
there is a top end oil restrictor offered by V Twin for the shovel head: its a special fitting that uses a # 100 jet to control the oil flow VT Part # 40-0050 I think it was around 40 $
when we tore my buddies chopper down because of the same condition you are having we found not guide gasket under the intake guide so along with installing new guides problem solved according to my buddy the old guides had only a few hundred miles on 'em but we wanted to cover all the bases. Who ever did the valve job for him last installed old valve keepers that were so rusty and pitted we couldn't believe they were used.

valve guide gaskets used from:
years used: 1936 - 47 HD part number 18265-37
1948 -85 HD part number 18196-51

Sharktooth you have done about 490 more valve jobs than me so you have the experience to do as you feel is correct.
I'm not one to test fate so I try my hardest to do things by the manual. theres no argument here.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:00 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be worthwhile to run a small bore brush thru the dtain holes in the cyl. Any obstruction can cause excessive oil levels in the head leading to oil being forced down the guides.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:10 AM
bc40ton
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sharktooth, got any ideas? Gonna knock out the old one today but if its tight in the head I am going to reuse it with locktite and the puny gasket. Thats if it comes out and the head bore looks good with no galling. DeJavu, did the passge check, all is wide open. Rodney, I have the braided line between the heads for oil and the fittings have a small hole in the. Sorta like an oil regulator, about a 1/16" I'm guessin. Thanks!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Rodney
Road Master

do you really think Lock tite is a good idea?

Old 03-06-2008, 12:38 PM
shrktooth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is just my 2 cents worth

This is the first time anyone has told me they use a gasket under a valve guide in a shovelhead.....and ive been doing this shovelhead thing in a shop for over 25 years. there is no way anyone i know who does shovel heads has ever used a gasket under the guide ( but i sure don't know everyone or everything)..... im sure harley has it written down somewhere to use it....but......i ain't never done it and expierience will tell ya not to use it.IMHOif you don't find a bad guide i would try to replace any that were knurled. this knurling is a poor mans fix.IMHO.

i don't use locktite on the guides i use it on the guide seals... use it carefully because you don't want any gettin on the valve cause it will lock it in the stem.( and it sucks pullin the head back off for this fix)

Old 03-06-2008, 01:48 PM
bc40ton
Intermediate

The guide has a little shake in it. Not something a seal couldnt handle. I was hopeing to find something out of the ordinary. But I/m ordering new guides. Gonna replace the one leaking one possibly doing the "might as well" and doing the exh also. It was seated in head fine according to the pressure it took to get out, I am now measuring for a possible oversize. No galling seen. No locktite to be used

Old 03-06-2008, 02:20 PM
bc40ton
Intermediate

Std size guide. I did notice that this int guide sits in a pool of oil as designed by the way the oil drain passages go. I will locktite the seal on the guide in case it was coming between the guide and the metal part of the seal as I now think it was. I am not gonna use the paper seal. Do they have a gel locktite out now? Gonna order the .002 oversize guides and do both I reckon. Whew~~

Old 03-06-2008, 02:53 PM
shrktooth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bc40ton

Std size guide. I did notice that this int guide sits in a pool of oil as designed by the way the oil drain passages go. I will locktite the seal on the guide in case it was coming between the guide and the metal part of the seal as I now think it was. I am not gonna use the paper seal. Do they have a gel locktite out now? Gonna order the .002 oversize guides and do both I reckon. Whew~~
what guides are you getting (brand name, material)?
no locktite on guides. just a press fit. a good shovel shop will have no problem with oversize guides and lapping valves. break in is very important with the shovel.IMHO.(its very hard to do it right cause it involves a lot of patience.)
just let me know if you get in a jam.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Rodney
Road Master

I'm not superstitious or anything but i got my fingers cross with ya bc!
this has been a learning experience for all of us and the outcome, another clean running shovel on the street.
it would take me 3 to 5 days to receive parts for something like your doing, you seem to be moving right along good job!

Old 03-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Rodney
Road Master

of course you don't need to be told to lube valves and rockers... any moving parts with assembly lube as you go back together.

Quick Reply: Shovel rear cyl blowin oil smoke.