Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

83 shovel oil lines

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 09:09 AM
wadeiss
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 shovel oil lines

I have just purchased and 83 flh shovel (my first Harley) and got to looking at the oil lines. I have a line cut and plugged and im wanting input as to the proper way to run these lines. Any ideas?

I also have a leak in the primary cover and was wondering if it has something to do with the way the oil lines were run?

What type of oil should I use for this bike?

Thanks for the help....

WAD

Old 02-10-2006, 11:25 PM
71 shovelhead
Cruiser
Default RE: 83 shovel oil lines

First off good choice buyin' a shovelhead (but I'm alittle prejudiced) I would suggest getting a manual. the oil line routing could have an effect on the primary, as it is a scaveging system. I use 60 wt oil in mine for the engine and trans. If the primary has been isolated then it could have either chain case oil or engine oil. If you know anyone familiar with shovelheads you should have them take a look at it . If you have some patience Skip (pococj) will probably offer some advice he is a very knowledgable individual. Good luck with the new ride

Old 02-10-2006, 11:52 PM
FREEBIRDFXRS
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a leak in the primary, chances are thats why the line is pluged.on a flh the oil goes to the primary and dumped on the chain adjuster and then sucked back out,if there are any leaks in the primary it will not work right,and can get to much oil in the primary and cause the clutches to slip.there are lots of places that can leak air.the gaskets inner and outer primary,starter seal,starter gasket, trans shaft seal, the primary has to be air tight to work right. it was'nt the best design,and all of the clutch junk goes back in the oil tank, so if ya stay with the stock set up do your self a favor and keep the oil changed alot,run good oil 20w50 or stright 50w,the oil lines on these bikes can be confusing,to someone who dont know,i could go on and on but let someone else add some in put.
freebird

Old 02-27-2006, 12:03 AM
wadeiss
Stage IV

THanks for the info...I have a factory service manual comming this week hopefully. I just want to make sure im not doing anything wrong. I do have a small leak in my primary. Can I change this over from a scavange primary? Whats the best way to run it?

Old 02-27-2006, 12:43 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Bill, got looking at my 78-84 service manual. In section 6-3 it states that there is no adjustment for metering the oil that drops on the primary chain. It drops on the chain from the oil outlet and is drawn back into the engine crankcase breather. I ride old pans and a lot of guys used to plug the chain adjustment in order to run a belt system. So, unless you plan to run a belt system, you need oil for the chain. It wasn't till the Evo models that HD came up with a separate oil system for the motor, primary, and tranny. (What the heck, 80 something years isn't too long.)

As far as oil all I have ever run is 60 weight. I know a lot of shovel owners who do the same, but I have talked with many others who say 50 weight is good too. I would say whatever the previous owner put in it would be a good start.

Old 02-28-2006, 01:16 PM
FREEBIRDFXRS
Advanced

if you are going to stay with the stock chain drive it will need oil in the primary,lots of guys will block off the oil feed to the primary and add oil directy to the primay,if you block of the oil feed you have to get the return to,but if it leeks you will have to keep a eye on it, lack of oil in the primary will burn up the plastic chain adjuster in quick order and will make the chain lose,i put a inclosed BDL belt drive in mine,if you got to take a part to replace all the gasket and seals i thought why not ,no more oil in the primary to leak,and the belt will free up some extra horses with not all of that extra weight to sling aroung,and it will shift alot better,been there done all of this, there is a item on www.ebay.com that will show you a picture of the line routing, ebay item number 461674389 check it out at least you will know what lines are messed with.
freebird

Old 03-01-2006, 10:09 AM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I converted my '79 to enclosed belt drive too.....been there on the leaking Primary so it was worth every penny.

My shovel liked to run straight 50 with a good heaping of Lucas additive. I just let it warm up to get the oil flowin' before I took off.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:24 PM
wreck74
Advanced

stay away from the belt drive. it'll wear your engine sprocket bearing and your tranny main shaft bearing out. the belt needs tension, the chain has a little slack.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:03 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Sorry it took so long for me to see this; missed it somehow. Hope your manual, or the link provided by Freebird, straightened things out on the oil line problem. If you keep the primary chain system, definitely block off the feed and return lines. Put a new gasket in place, and with the bike on the sidestand, add just enough ATF to the primary to let the level come to the bottom of the clutch basket. The ATF will be great for your clutch, and will lube the chain quite well.

If you ever decide to go to a belt drive, I recommend the Primo. If you run an enclosed belt, you must vent it, or the heat will shorten the belt's life dramatically. There are vented inspection covers, or you can drill holes, carve slots, space the outer primary cover out from the inner, ... A properly installed belt drive is lighter, transmits less vibration, and can last as long as a chain.

I respectfully disagree that it will create premature wear on the motor and tranny bearings. I ran one of the first Sportster belt drives, back when they were square toothed Gilmer belts, for nearly 100,000 miles. I also ran a Primo on my '78 Shovel for about 160,000 miles. I also installed plenty of them on other bikes, and never had a problem. The key is making sure the belt tension is correct. If it is too tight, the bearing wear can happen.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:51 PM
FREEBIRDFXRS
Advanced

VERY WELL SAID...pococj... and the ATF trick works well.
FREEBIRD

Quick Reply: 83 shovel oil lines