Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

crane hi-4 single fire

Old 04-12-2008, 08:37 AM
hddee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crane hi-4 single fire

can someone help me i have a 79 model86 cube with kick start only and want to change back to electronic ignition so im buying a hi-4 single fire. i have been told i need a new coil only problem it must be same shape as the original coil to fit in same spot as there is not a lot of room where it is for another one a different shape. can someone recommend one as it has to be 2ohms or bigger. any chance of a part no: is the hi4 single fire race the right on for the job

Old 04-12-2008, 09:25 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: crane hi-4 single fire

I like the dyna s with the advance wts The coil bracket has to changed so the coils are mounted coming outward not front to back

Old 04-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

H1 and welcome to the HDForum HDdee,
are you wanting to switch to the single fire system?
after looking on the crane web site
it looks to me as if the h4 is a single fire system only which will take a single fire coil.
If you want to use your same coil the Hi-1 may be a better choice.
Accel also provides a dual / single fire ignition you could take a look at. I installed this same type ignition on my 68 and so far it has worked out great and the tech support has been good. Not that I needed it I called to ask questions before I bought and was able to get right to a tech guy.
I'm sure more help is on the why for you.
it's always a real good idea to order what you need the first time when it comes to electronic items as returns can be a pain in the rear!

Old 04-14-2008, 06:11 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hddee

can someone help me i have a 79 model86 cube with kick start only and want to change back to electronic ignition so im buying a hi-4 single fire. i have been told i need a new coil only problem it must be same shape as the original coil to fit in same spot as there is not a lot of room where it is for another one a different shape. can someone recommend one as it has to be 2ohms or bigger. any chance of a part no: is the hi4 single fire race the right on for the job
You can buy the single fire HI-4 as a kit with coil, wires, module, everything. Yes the coil will fit under your existing cover. I had one on my 85 wide glide and it fit perfect under the stock coil cover.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 AM
kiwidave2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what msgtarmor said.

Get the Crane coil that matches. Fits in stock position. Damn good piece of kit

Have that set-up on my 85FXEF

Old 04-19-2008, 08:55 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm a big fan of the HI-4. I use them on my street bikes, and my dragster. The cool thing about it is that it has a dip switch for electric or kick start. Make sure you check it. It also has a switch for Race. Make sure to switch it to race. It will go into full advance right out of the hole and give you better acceleration. Follow the instructions carefully for the set-up, and don't blow off timing your rear cylinder.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:20 PM
silvergoldsmith
Road Warrior

Been running with a HI-4 system for almost 6 years now, never a moments trouble or problem. Do buy it as a complete kit plus you will need topurchase a timing rotor p/n 32402-83. It is an easy conversion and yes the coil will fit under the stock chrome cover.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:44 AM
72fl
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi-4 works excellent I also use a Spyke electronic on my 72

Old 04-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Green1340
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the HI-4 on my Shovel for several years with no problems. Kick worked much better than with stock ignition. Get the complete kit and the coil will fit on all the original brackets and covers.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:31 PM
southphillyed
Banned

I forgot how to wire my(crane) HI-1 on my shovel,I'm using 2 coils because I run dual plugs does ANYONE have a wire diagram for one?
When I first hooked up the wiring(new wire harness in the making and a bike I'm currently building) I had to splice the red,white and black wires from the HI-1 unit...I didnt have the right guage wire,it was slightly heavier guage.Then I forgot which wires went where on the coils I had a schematic for the whole set up but cant find the damn thing for love or money[] The combination of going with heavier wire and not getting the wires on the right posts really made for a fun time LOL.
Can someone help me out here?..........ED.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: crane hi-4 single fire