Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Encased final drive chain

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Encased final drive chain

Anyone here remove the enclosed chain on an early model FLH and go to an exposed O-ring chain? I would like to get rid of the rear chain enclosure and have an open chain when I rebuild my bike. I don't like the look of the enclosed chain system and it's a b**** to work on the rear end of the bike with that assembly on there.
I was wondering what all is entailed with doing this type of switch-over.
Thanks.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It can be done simply remove the old system and install a chain O ring chain is thicker and clearence at the inner prim might be an issue HOWEVER you will expose the rear sprocket to a much shorter life and you don't want to know what the cost is for those early FLT's V-Twin used to carry them 1996 the cost of the rear sprocket was $ 200 plus

Old 02-11-2009, 01:30 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

+1 on what george said plus the pita of replacing the front sprocket at the same time,cause you can bet if the rear is worn out so is the front.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

Thank you guys. Due to the plainess of the current rear sprockett and the fact an O ring chain will chew it up faster, I was planning on changing the sprockett now, but was unsure as to which one out of the A&P catalog. I was debating a chrome sprockett with the 102 link O ring chain. All in All, I'm guessing its not quite that simple?

Other than it being such a PITA to disassemble, is there any other disadvantage to keeping the goofy enclosed rear chain set up? Thanks again.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:02 AM
shiftless
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I've heard, that the chain and sprokets, in the inclosed systems last a lot longer than the ones out in the open. But thats not a disadvantage.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:39 PM
1stForceRecon
Cruiser
Default 83 1/2 fxrt

I got one of the last runs of the Shovel, they were 25 built in the FXRT frame (for 84) especially for the CHP (before they purchased theirs, they got these for testing and eval) they only used 10 of them and sold the balance of (15) to the public. I got mine out of San Bernardino.

5 speed, fully enclosed chain.

I kept it for 20 years and over 80,000 miles. The only repairs I had to do was the back jug. I changed out 4 sets of tires and each time I pulled off the enclosed chain and it was like brand new.

And bud, I drove a lot of miles in the desert! I was stationed at 29 Palms when I wasn't on ship or at Camp Pendleton, so most of my miles were eating sand. Didn't even need to change the chain once!

So think about this.

Dutch

Old 02-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

Hey Dutch,
Enough said. I am definately keeping the enclosure. You are a testimony to it working like a champ. The only thing better would be the modern belt set-up, but that just aint me. I love my Shovel for what it is....the last of the "real Harleys" (in my opinion).
Anyhow, thanks to all of you and take care. I am sure I'll have other questions along my way here.
Take care.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:03 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Dutch keep em straight !

Old 02-12-2009, 09:18 PM
1stForceRecon
Cruiser
Default Fully enclosed chain

Hey bro,

Didn't mean to chase you off, just wanted to let you in on some good things that most people take for granted. You know when I got my FXRT everyone gave me ****! It was a "rubber mounted" 5 speed fully enclosed chain, that our brother’s just weren't ready to accept yet. I took so much guff for it, but I was comfortable ridding it!

For a Marine on leave and having only a few weeks to enjoy myself and a whole lot of road from Base to home (29 Palms to Detroit is about 2200 miles) I ran it without worries. In the rest stops I would see other guys jerking a new belt on or changing a chain or worst yet. I just kept changing the oil in the back the same time I changed it in the crank case. No chain stretch, no abrasion, and little to no wear to speak of, at least in 80,000 miles.

So as time went by more guys were running with them and the word got out. I guess having it isn't as classy as a belt or even an exposed belt primary and secondary. I think you could leave that to the guys who are just putting from bar to bar or short trips. But if you were like me, there is nothing better on the road than peace of mind. And this is what a fully enclosed chain running in clean oil on the sprocket side will give you. I know it did for me.

Now I'm over 50, my body can't do what I use to do in the 80's and 90's. So I'm a short putter and my bike reflects what I can do. I'm running a Stroker Shovel in a custom frame (Outlaw's from Canada) wide glide and fat boy wheels (I've even given up tightening and cleaning the spokes.)

The energy I save will be put to use in other things like fishing, hunting, and catching up on all the ***** I missed in my life (not necessarily in that order.) But no matter what I own and ride, you can bet I don't have a rubber band stretched around my wheel, it's a chain baby, and I keep it clean and lubricated by hand all the while wishing I still had the secondary covers and vat of oil it use to run in.

So now all the hard core's know about fully enclosed chains from people like me who broke the rules and put up with all the **** and made it "OK" to have it. Relax and enjoy what you got brother! There's a tool in the box for every job.

Dutch

Old 02-13-2009, 06:43 AM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

One of the best responses I have ever gotten, Dutch. That was some damn good info you gave me and I appreciate it.
Ride safe and talk soon.

Quick Reply: Encased final drive chain