Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

NO Compresion in cylinders...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 05:26 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not using a manual (esp. if you have to ask what a leakdown is)! Ditto on the zero compression: you are doing it wrong if (with ignition disabled so bike will not start) the spark plugs are not removed, the throttle is locked to wide open, choke in (plate open)and cranked over 5-7 times (hopefully you have a starter and not just a kicker!). Should have about 90 PSI minimum with less than 30% difference between cylinders. If actually reading zero, even after adding 1/2 oz of 30W oil, then the tappet adjustment may be incorrect and keeping valves from closing altogether. Bunch of things to consider before tearing everything apart!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:21 PM
68ElectraGlide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info to go off of. I will try to do some of this testing (hopefully tomorrow) and I will let you guys know. When I adjusted them before I think we just put the cylinders at TDC and adjusted them by the manual. From what you guys are saying is I do not think I did it correctly.

Keep the suggestions coming every post gives me something to think about.

Mike

Old 02-10-2009, 09:10 PM
68ElectraGlide
Novice

I did a little testing today and we think we have narrowed it down. I am 99% sure it is the piston rings, I do not think they were set right when the moron that did the rebuild put her back together.

I have taken off the fuel lines and tanks, oil lines, carburator, top motor mount, and guidrods. Tomorrow afternoon hopefully I can remove the exhaust pipes and get into the top of her.

If any one has any suggestions on what to watch out for when i get into her and putting her back together let me know. I have never done anything like this before so I need all the advice I can get!

Thanks again
Mike

Old 02-11-2009, 04:56 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

The worst thing to watch out for is someone who has never broke a motor down, breaking a motor down without a shop manual.
Go to your local shop and get one.
How did you conclude it is the rings? I've seen motors with totally wore out cylinders, huffing oil out the pipes, still have compression. Your buddy was running down the road and the motor shut down. Then no compression. That could only be holes burnt through the top of the pistons due to leanout (been there, done that) valves stuck open (the possibility of all four is astronomical) or the head gasket isn't present and the head is loose.
Keep us informed. Al

Old 02-11-2009, 09:28 PM
68ElectraGlide
Novice

I do have a manual. I got the exhaust off today and there was oil in them. I guess instead of saying it was the rings I should have said something leaking in the cylinders. I could not get a wrench on the back bolt on the rear cylinder I need to go tomorrow and get some different wrenches. My dad, who has done this once before is helping me. I appreciate the patience and not flaming me for my stupid questions.

We put the cylinder at tdc and blew clean air through the spark plug hole. No air was coming out of the intake or exhaust, it was coming out of the timing plug.

What are the. Chances of there being a hole in the head of the piston on both cylinders a happening with in minutes of each other?

I talked to the guy that was riding her when it happened and he said there was blue smoke when she died. So between the oil in the exhaust and the blue smoke I surely had a good amount of oil burning.

Mike

Old 02-11-2009, 09:40 PM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i had real low compression in my shovel after sitting in a damp garage for a winter.. sprayed some marvle mystery oil in it for a while. It would smoke like hell.. but after that.. it came back to life

Old 02-12-2009, 08:45 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What was the problem????

Old 02-12-2009, 07:41 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

What was the problem???? HAAAAAAAAA

What are the. Chances of there being a hole in the head of the piston on both cylinders a happening with in minutes of each other?
The chances are very good if the conditions are right. Jetting too lean, running the motor hard with the timing retarded will get you there. I have ruined my share of pistons, most because of bad jetting, screwing with the timing, all in a 1/4 mile.
Keep trying, you'll get there. In the meantime, I'll have some popcorn, please......

Old 02-12-2009, 09:59 PM
68ElectraGlide
Novice

Well I paid a visit to my Harley mechanic today to talk about some parts I want him to order...

We were talking about the bike and I gave him all the information I could (he looked at her right after it she broke down) and what information I have found (oil in the pipes and air coming out of the timing plug).

He is 99.9999% sure it is holes in the pistons. I am getting some more tools tomorrow so I can take off the upper jugs, so I can look at the pistons and rings. If it is what we think it is we will take the whole bike in and have Mike to a complete rebuild on the motor.

I am looking at between $1500 and $2500 for a rebuild and tearing down the whole engine and replacing what is needed. Is this a fair price? I thought it was pretty reasonable.

Mike is a very well known Harley mechanic in my area, he always has bikes in his shop and it is rare to not have to wait for you bike to get worked on. I feel very confident in his skill, I just wish i had the knowledge and tools to do the rebuild myself.

I will keep you guys updated on what is going on, and don't worry there will be a full restoration and it will be chronicled on here.

Thanks for all you help and information, especially you Al.

Mike

Old 06-16-2009, 02:32 PM
68ElectraGlide
Novice

Well today could be the day I get my engine back....

I will try to get some pictures up on here of the before and after...

Mike

Quick Reply: NO Compresion in cylinders...