Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

How to price a 1969 shovel

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:45 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

MoCo means Harley Davidson Motor Company. I don't have the phone number but here is the address I once wrote to on another question:
Harley-Davidson Customer Service
3700 W. Juneau Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53208
I just got a form letter back and no real help. You may fare better if you call them. In 1969 the hand shifter was on the frame not on the tank. They made that change in 1966. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on a classic bike. I love the flatside motors. Post some pictures. 1969 was a first for some of the changes they made. First year right side front brake, first year for a stop light switch for the front lever, last year for the generator and mechanical regulator. First year for the new key lock in the hard bags. I bought a 68FLH from a 2nd owner. Unfortunately he had many changes over the years. I fixed most of them but the others will take some time to track down the proper parts.
1969 is an Electraglide not a duo glide. Duo Glides were made from 1958 to 1964.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:26 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

that's way too cool. glad you got it.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:40 PM
KNUCKLEHEADVA
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All numbers match and my mechanic says he remembers shifter on tank for a 1969 and it is duoglide as shocks on front and back. It has original paint. All confuses us is that it is a fl and not flh and most police bikes were flh. Any other info about this bike i will appreciate. Also,,where can i buy another windshield for it as this one is faded thanks

Old 07-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Received 300 Likes on 184 Posts

KnuckVa, the presence of shock absorbers doesn't necessarily mean the bike is a Duo-Glide. Electra-Glides and some other models also have shock absorbers. And if the bike is a 1969 Shovelhead then it is an Electra-Glide as already mentioned. Also as already mentioned, the shifter was not mounted on or to the gas tank for 1969. The first picture below shows the 1966-later hand shifter. Notice U-bolt 68 and support bracket 25. They both attach to the left front downtube. They do not mount to the gas tank.

The second picture shows the 1965 and earlier hand shifter. Notice shifter guide 35/37 which bolts to the gas tank. Shift lever stud 31 connects shift lever 27 to the tank at a pivot point below the guide. Which of these two setups do you have: 1966-later or 1965 and earlier? If you post good clear photos of each side of the bike we can give you more help. And please read my post at #5 in your other thread. Eric

Old 07-25-2009, 07:25 PM
KNUCKLEHEADVA
6th Gear

So could u please help me to understand what a true 1969 police bike would have it is defnitely half=breed, pan bottom shovel top ,shifter on tank. Bike is black has duoglide on front fender police special tach // thanks

Old 07-25-2009, 11:33 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master

Originally Posted by KNUCKLEHEADVA
So could u please help me to understand what a true 1969 police bike would have it is defnitely half=breed, pan bottom shovel top ,shifter on tank. Bike is black has duoglide on front fender police special tach // thanks
Take some photos and post them. Easiest way to do this is open a free www.photobucket.com account, upload the pictures. Open another window and log into the forum. Switch back to photobucket under the photograph are several ways to link the picture. Chose the 4th down and copy it to the clipboard (Control C). Switch back to the post you want the picture in and paste it back (control V). here is an example. This is a 1968 Electra Glide. It has a few things not correct for 68, horn, shaker floorboards, throtle etc. But it is close to stock. The 1969 should be similar except having the front brake on the right side instead of the left.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain

KnuckVa, you mentioned the numbers match so I assume you meant that the serial number on the engine matches the registration paper? H-D used an even/odd style of code for 1960–1969 Big Twin serial numbers and you’ll notice for odd years such as 1969 that when there are only four numeric characters in the sequential portion then the first of those four should be an odd number─for example, 69FL1234. But not 69FL2345.

If there are five numeric characters in the sequential portion of the serial number then the first two of those five, when taken as one number, should read as an odd number─for example, 69FL11234. But not 69FL12345.

Also, H-D did not always use the same style of stamps when applying serial numbers. If you post a clear photo of your serial number we can check the style for you. Just blackout a couple of the characters in the sequential portion so the whole serial number isn’t showing. And I’ve sent you a PM. Eric

Old 07-29-2009, 10:04 PM
KNUCKLEHEADVA
6th Gear
Default 69 fl

Originally Posted by filthylucre
take some photos and post them. Easiest way to do this is open a free www.photobucket.com account, upload the pictures. Open another window and log into the forum. Switch back to photobucket under the photograph are several ways to link the picture. Chose the 4th down and copy it to the clipboard (control c). Switch back to the post you want the picture in and paste it back (control v). Here is an example. This is a 1968 electra glide. It has a few things not correct for 68, horn, shaker floorboards, throtle etc. But it is close to stock. The 1969 should be similar except having the front brake on the right side instead of the left.
what does position and looks of exact horn look like,mine has windshield so where can i buy another stock or aftermarket. Mine does not have luggag rack. Where does passenger sit or was it not made for one? Are heads polished or dull from factory thanks

Old 07-29-2009, 11:45 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master

The stock horn fits underneath the headlight cowl. It looks like an early delco remy auto horn which is exactly what it is. The seat on mine is a solo seat, no passenger. The stock buddy seat is a large white or black and white seat that also has helper springs underneath to help support the extra weight. Two windshields were available in 1969 the beaded windshield used from 1960 to 1984 and the batwing fairing used from 1969 to 84. See what they look like in the online V-twin catalog page 728 and 729. http://www.vtwinmfg.com/Catalog1/VTwinCatalogIndex1.htm

Old 07-31-2009, 08:34 PM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain

The picture below is of a civilian model but the second block of text contains some police info. I think the 1969 heads were plain aluminium finish, not polished. And I've sent you a second PM. Eric

Quick Reply: How to price a 1969 shovel