Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

How to price a 1969 shovel

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:35 PM
KNUCKLEHEADVA
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to price a 1969 shovel

Ran across a 69 shovel police special in good condition all original and person wants me to make them an offer. Are there any books with retail values i can use or someone out there that could give me a suggestion as what to offer

Old 06-13-2009, 09:39 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

offer them $50 and work your way up...:>)

Old 06-13-2009, 10:01 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I paid 7K for a 68, probably a little more than it was worth. He had it wired with speaker wire and lamp cord and was missing parts. Took me about 3 weeks to get it straighted out and running. I've seen slab sides go for as much as 12K but they were cherry, low mileage and complete. A police bike was usually run hard. When you go to look at it, bring cash and make an offer starting at around 4K you can always add to it. Be sure the numbers and paperwork is correct first. Bad numbers and no paper means its just a collection of parts and not worth anything. A 69 will have numbers on the motor only but will have a blank VIN boss on the frame.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:26 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You can go to nada and go to classics and I think they may go back that far, of course it's all open to interpetation, might give you a ball park figure.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:30 AM
Dumaine
Novice
Default just dont over pay

check ebay or cycletrader.com they all seem a little high these days, but nothing really seems to be selling, so use that as one idea, also it all depends on condition and how original it is. And if you really want it, how much is it worth to you, just dont over pay... good luck
Ron

Attached Thumbnails How to price a 1969 shovel-ron72.jpg  
Old 06-22-2009, 12:17 PM
deadreckoning
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

I would offer him $4,000. If he doesn't have a fixed price he doesn't know what it's worth either. After you offer it be willing to walk away after giving him your phone number.. he'll call!

Old 07-02-2009, 11:35 PM
78fxs78
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stuff is going pretty cheap right now, Supply and Demand and demand is down. Try to score it for 5-7k if it runs, 8-10 your getting to high and he's high if he wants more.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:28 PM
KNUCKLEHEADVA
6th Gear
Default Reply

Originally Posted by 78fxs78
stuff is going pretty cheap right now, supply and demand and demand is down. Try to score it for 5-7k if it runs, 8-10 your getting to high and he's high if he wants more.
does the69 police special come in a fl and flh - this bike is a duoglide,good paint,black in color,has the police special guage,solo seat,white, shifter on gas tank,rocker clutch,starts easy,no major problems,etc. Numbers match- owner was 93 years old and purchased at maryland police dept auction in 70"s how to i know if it is true police bike???

Old 07-19-2009, 11:02 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Copy the vin number and lower case numbers and call MoCo. They will have a record on the bike. Second, call the PD and see if they will share the information with you.

Think the value is dependent how original the bike is. But it sounds like since it was sold to a civilian it had most police-related stuff removed, siren, red lights, etc. So it is an ex-police bike. That being said, most police bikes were rode hard but well maintained.

Things to think about/consider:
1. If the 93 yr old guy is the second owner I would ask for all maintenance records.
2. What is the total miles on the bike now?
3. Cases been split?
4. Tranny gone through?
5. Original paint?
6. What kind of shape is wiring in?

Parts to take it back to PD type originality go for a bundle and then some. Seems like what you have is the opportunity to get a cool piece of history that hopefully is not butchered. Think the 5-7 range is a good price.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:30 PM
KNUCKLEHEADVA
6th Gear
Default Police bike

Thanks for help. I gave 8 for the bike.paint good shape,changed oil,couple of new hoses,etc and have ridden the bike.will have problem getting purchase info from children of 93 yo owner as they fell out over $. The granddaughter got the bike in the will and decided to sell it. My mechanic said everything is original and in good shape. It has shifter on tank and the rocker clutch. All i need is a new windshield and assume i can still buy one. I will try moco- guess i just punch in moco on internet thanks from virginia

Quick Reply: How to price a 1969 shovel