Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

oil puking thru crankcase breather?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:24 PM
HoustonCH73
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys.

Megawatt- I've got the bike in the shop now getting the carb cleaned and the timing set. when I go to get it back, my mechanic said he would show me where to put the filter/cooler in line (yes taht's the one I was asking about earlier). he also said while he has the bike this week he would look to make sure all the hoses are routed right and see if there's anything that could cause this. I'll hopefully be able to report back in about a week with the results.

that was shovelman that had his breather plugged, not me.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:26 PM
HoustonCH73
Banned

Originally Posted by 81lowrider
My 81 would dump oil on start-up after sitting for a few days. One recommendation indicated the check ball in the oil pump can stick due to corrosion or other causes. The fix included removing and cleaning the check ball and the check ball seat. I dismantled and cleaned the entire pump including the check ball/seat and had no further problems. Not sure if your pump has the same set-up, but good luck and let us know what you find.

r/81L
81- yeah I know the puking you're talking about and its common from what I understand. I don't mind the puking if its been sitting but the problem with the filter is more. I should have an answer/solution soon!

Old 07-07-2009, 03:07 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

HoustonCH73,
Oops. Sorry to both of you for the mix up.
I hope it works out for ya Houston and that you are able to use your existing filter cooler. When we get my friend's bike back together he will be using that same set up. It wasn't causing any trouble before we took his bike apart.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:10 AM
motorcyclemikeusa
Stage II
Default similar oil pump problem

I just rebuilt the oil pump on a 71 stock shovelhead. I reseated the check ball and no visible scars on any pump surfaces. once you get past 2000 rpm(Approx) the puke tube begins blowing a stream of oil out. Tank is NOT overfilled.oil lines are in proper place.No filter or cooler modifications. plain old stock motor. already redid the breather gear timing just to make sure. Oil is returning to oil tank pretty efficiently.oil pressure light goes off at startup.I've took pump apart a couple times to check for newbie mistakes but everything looks ok. oil pump gaskets are correct. but at the end of the day pukes oil constantly. any idea what I may have done?

Also curious if a person could reroute the puke tube to a tee fitting into the oil vent line. Any reasons why this isn't done?

Old 12-07-2009, 06:29 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Where is this oil puking from ? Do you still run the stock prim chain system ?

Old 12-08-2009, 03:44 PM
fxer82
Stage IV
Talking

use of the wrong oil filter, relief valve (built into the oil filter) to high for proper oil flow due to little oil pressure to open relief valve, try this oil filter PURE ONE (pl25230) i have been using for this for more than two yrs; i had very simular oil issue, and the use of this model number filter has a lower relief valve pressure. also check oil lines, check valve in pump.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:52 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 81lowrider
My 81 would dump oil on start-up after sitting for a few days. One recommendation indicated the check ball in the oil pump can stick due to corrosion or other causes. The fix included removing and cleaning the check ball and the check ball seat. I dismantled and cleaned the entire pump including the check ball/seat and had no further problems. Not sure if your pump has the same set-up, but good luck and let us know what you find.

r/81L
Also, that ball only seats on a very small point of tangency all the way around on the angle, if that seat angle is galled, or pitted at all, oil is going to seap by. you can hone the angle and if need be "swat" the ball (put a flat end punch on top and give it a light whack with a hammer) to insure a seal.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:05 AM
RUBKILLA
1st Gear

you need to update this thread man.......fill them in on what you found when you tore it apart........hes going through a complete rebuild right now guys, this thing was a mess internally

Old 12-10-2009, 12:28 PM
motorcyclemikeusa
Stage II

Originally Posted by sqdealgeorge
Where is this oil puking from ? Do you still run the stock prim chain system ?
oil is puking out the crankcase breather line that originally ran up to the carb. I shut off the primary chain system a while back.