Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

More Blonde Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Sissy69
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Blonde Questions...

I swear I do not know what I would do with out your kind support. Shoulda called this thread how to build a bike using a computer. Used to be able to go down the street where my greasy friends were hanging out in a pile of parts and ratty old dog eared manuals, drinking beer and smoking medicinal herbs between cursing over parts whose whereabouts were a mystery.

Nowadays, Thunderbird Harley in Albuquerque looks at me like I am armed and dangerous for walking in looking like I have actually been working on my bike. Especially because I'm a biker chick.

So you is all I got. Whisper sweet part numbers in my ear as I ask some more questions...

I was inspecting the engine crankshaft and found a few questionable issues.

First, the spacer thing [picture #1] shows minor wear. Is this critical?

Second The little plates at the end of the armature posts-are they supposed to be coated? The material is worn off several of them. And one of the allen screws that hold the windings onto the engine side case is stripped. How should I deal with that?

Third, upon close inspection, I can see a snap ring that is floating on the outside of the outermost crankshaft bearing race. Is that normal? Should I try to squeeze bearing grease into the bearings or are they lubricated some other way?

Fourth: I am attaching a picture of part of the frame upon which FrankenBike is built. I would love it if someone could help identify the frame model. As you can see, there is a wide, metal band that runs perpendicular to bottom chassis directly under the transmission mounting bolts.
This is a rebuilt title from New Mexico, which is a state where they remove the numbers, and reassign new ones. In this case the numbers are NM 81959. These numbers appear in three locations on the bike, as some of you have pointed out. But I can't seem to extract any background on it from the State MVD.
So here is a picture of all that stuff and thanks again.

I am the Damsel in Distress. You are my heroes.

Attached Thumbnails More Blonde Questions...-100_1574.jpg   More Blonde Questions...-100_1577.jpg   More Blonde Questions...-100_1579.jpg  
Old 11-05-2009, 11:53 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sissy69
I swear I do not know what I would do with out your kind support. Shoulda called this thread how to build a bike using a computer. Used to be able to go down the street where my greasy friends were hanging out in a pile of parts and ratty old dog eared manuals, drinking beer and smoking medicinal herbs between cursing over parts whose whereabouts were a mystery.

Nowadays, Thunderbird Harley in Albuquerque looks at me like I am armed and dangerous for walking in looking like I have actually been working on my bike. Especially because I'm a biker chick.

So you is all I got. Whisper sweet part numbers in my ear as I ask some more questions...

I was inspecting the engine crankshaft and found a few questionable issues.

First, the spacer thing [picture #1] shows minor wear. Is this critical?

Second The little plates at the end of the armature posts-are they supposed to be coated? The material is worn off several of them. And one of the allen screws that hold the windings onto the engine side case is stripped. How should I deal with that?

Third, upon close inspection, I can see a snap ring that is floating on the outside of the outermost crankshaft bearing race. Is that normal? Should I try to squeeze bearing grease into the bearings or are they lubricated some other way?

Fourth: I am attaching a picture of part of the frame upon which FrankenBike is built. I would love it if someone could help identify the frame model. As you can see, there is a wide, metal band that runs perpendicular to bottom chassis directly under the transmission mounting bolts.
This is a rebuilt title from New Mexico, which is a state where they remove the numbers, and reassign new ones. In this case the numbers are NM 81959. These numbers appear in three locations on the bike, as some of you have pointed out. But I can't seem to extract any background on it from the State MVD.
So here is a picture of all that stuff and thanks again.

I am the Damsel in Distress. You are my heroes.
I'll try to help you out where I can, but first let me say, "You go girl!". Anyone wrenchin' their shovel is good with me, being of the female persuasion and tacklin' this, you must be alright. Ok, onward ...... wher I can help ..... the plates for the windings don't need to be coated, I've seen them both ways, mine aren't coated. For the stripped hole I would go to a heli-coil or one of the other repair options. A heli-coil should be fine, though, not a lot of stress on that hole. I beleive the snap ring is ok, it's been a long time so I would check with others but you should not have to grease the bearing. As far as the frame, it appears to me to be a later model but without seeing all the tabs and such I couldn't tell if it was originally FX or FL. At first I saw the transmision slot but I also have that on my 79s. Hope this helps and looking forward to seeing the final build
Frog

Old 11-05-2009, 12:43 PM
skully_68
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea aint like it used to be i used to live in albuquerque years ago there was a little shop there on coors called knight cycles, he was the only one i ever bought parts from,if i didnt get them from my buds he had a shop and parts garage built off his house him and his ol lady owned it, if he didnt have the part he would get it,draw him up a line he would get it even faster lol, the harley places out here are about like that chics harley davidson that was in albuquerque,i dont deal with them duech bags

Old 11-05-2009, 05:02 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Several ways to identify the year of a stock frame. Easiest, VIN but since you don't have a factory VIN, 2nd woudl be date code on the the right side top motor mount near the rear tank mount. Consists of a number and letter 9A would be January 59, 69 or 79. To narrow it down you look at the frame details, tabs, down tubes, seat area etc. If you post pictures of the Right neck area, rear down tubes, right and left, Top motor mount we can give you the right year range. Just looking at the tabs on the swing arm mount I would guess 67 or earlier.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Sissy69
Advanced
Default Success!

Thanks fer yer help you guys.

Dear Mr. Filthy, I finally took your advice and got off my butt and went and looked where you told me [twice I think] and YIPPEE I found it. There it was all the time on the top mount-J7. Now I am still a little confused cause in your example you said that "9A would be January 59, 69 or 79." Also why did you say '69 instead of '79?

So do the letters determine the chronology? If A is January, is J October?
I took a couple more pictures and will post them. Thanks for your persistent assistance.

Hey Skully thanks for the encouragement. I do get a lot of crap for looking and talking like a Biker Grl. If I had one of them lines I would be done by now. Without the benefit of stimulation, I just roll one up and watch endless reruns of Easy Rider and Wild Angels and dream of the day I'll feel them jugs rumblin' between my...Whoops got carried away there just dreamin' about that Big V twin. There ain't no love like Shovel Love.
I know it's a very big world but you are only the second guy that I have known named Skully. The other time was in Smyrna Tennessee about 1982. That probably wasn't you, huh? Now where are those pictures?

Attached Thumbnails More Blonde Questions...-100_1582.jpg   More Blonde Questions...-100_1583.jpg  
Old 11-07-2009, 06:40 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

That looks like your crankshaft seal in the frame picture above. Make sure when you put the new one back in, the seal side goes inward. Put it in the freezer a couple hours before you install it.
That cross brace the seal is laying on....clean it real good and check the welds to insure they haven't broke.

Last edited by AlCherry; 11-07-2009 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:23 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Sissy69
Thanks fer yer help you guys.

Dear Mr. Filthy, I finally took your advice and got off my butt and went and looked where you told me [twice I think] and YIPPEE I found it. There it was all the time on the top mount-J7. Now I am still a little confused cause in your example you said that "9A would be January 59, 69 or 79." Also why did you say '69 instead of '79?

So do the letters determine the chronology? If A is January, is J October?
I took a couple more pictures and will post them. Thanks for your persistent assistance.

Hey Skully thanks for the encouragement. I do get a lot of crap for looking and talking like a Biker Grl. If I had one of them lines I would be done by now. Without the benefit of stimulation, I just roll one up and watch endless reruns of Easy Rider and Wild Angels and dream of the day I'll feel them jugs rumblin' between my...Whoops got carried away there just dreamin' about that Big V twin. There ain't no love like Shovel Love.
I know it's a very big world but you are only the second guy that I have known named Skully. The other time was in Smyrna Tennessee about 1982. That probably wasn't you, huh? Now where are those pictures?
Ok a J7 would be October of 67 or 77. It can't be a 57 because that would be a rigid frame. If you have rectangular two holed blocks welded to the rear down tubes it would be a 77 if they are not present it would be a 67. Also the small raised mounts on the swing arm mount were removed by 70 so yours is a pre 70 no number frame. Since it is late in the year "J" my guess it was originally a 1968 model with the frame manufactured in October of 67.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Sissy69
Advanced
Default Closer...

Originally Posted by FilthyLucre
Ok a J7 would be October of 67 or 77. It can't be a 57 because that would be a rigid frame. If you have rectangular two holed blocks welded to the rear down tubes it would be a 77 if they are not present it would be a 67. Also the small raised mounts on the swing arm mount were removed by 70 so yours is a pre 70 no number frame. Since it is late in the year "J" my guess it was originally a 1968 model with the frame manufactured in October of 67.
Okay then...Thanks again for telling me at least twice where to find that stuff.
The Crypt of FrankenBike gets deeper all the time.

Gracias

Old 11-21-2009, 01:44 AM
rbonner
Stage III

First just looking at the original three pics the one showing the swing arm bolt SCREWED into the frame and not ending with a nut says the frame is 1973 or later.

Since the FL/FX frame can be either a bagger or superglide, it's up to you to make it anything you want. I suppose they ground the serial off the motor case too, so that's a no go also.

There's some differences in swingarms that will help determine stuff, and if that's the original engine the date codes up on the top of the heads will tell you when it was made.

BOB

Old 11-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Sissy69
Advanced

Hey, Thanks Bob, I think that clears up the date of the frame. On the top motor mount it says J7, so if it is after 1973, then it's a 1977. And the engine cases are Delkron. Can't wait to get the drive train back together to find out how the engine runs after a break in. Last lying, motherless bastard owner who sold me this bike and told me it was fine has lied about so many things, it's one surprise after the other. But I will succeed and my baby is going to be beautiful. Thanks for your help.

Sissy

Quick Reply: More Blonde Questions...