Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Strokin' My Honey - Need Stroker Pistons

Old 07-30-2006, 09:44 AM
bluezguy
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Strokin' My Honey - Need Stroker Pistons

OK OK OK,

After 30+ years on the same 74" engine, I finally decided to go part way and build her up into a stock bore stroker. I'll do the big bore jugs and fancy case cuttin' next year when mama and the economy might be a bit more forgiving...

I've decided to get Truett & Osborne Torque Monster wheels as they are quite a good deal on an awesome set of wheels. My choice of stroke is 4 5/8" as that will yield me an 88.5" cubic inch WHICH when the big bore jugs are used at next tear down, will yield 96" CI !
Furthermore, my original 74 flywheels were just rebuilt less than a 1000 miles ago with all brand new crank, sprocket shaft, reconditioned rods and pinion shaft and guess what.... I can re-use most parts on my new T & O blanks. This is a huge savings and makes the project quite affordable. The only part I won't re-use will be the sprocket shaft as the taper is too small.

Where can you buy inexpensive cast stroker pistons for shovel? Drag, CCI or V-Twin don't seem to offer them in their catalogues. Any of the 'boutique' pistons are $200 and over. Here's a quote from a website that sells the wheels :
Although you cannot use stock pistons with these flywheels, you can easily modify original or reproduction pistons (even the ones in the motor now, if in excellent condition) for use with these flywheels by simply shortening the skirts with a file, hacksaw, Dremel, etc. and using small stroker plates, reducing your construction cost.
Have any of you folks modified a set of pistons in this manner?

I need .060 over. There used to be an offshore cast piston that all the aftermarket shops would sell... me thinks they were called 'Dixie' or somethin' like that. What say you?

Old 07-30-2006, 05:53 PM
FREEBIRDFXRS
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Strokin' My Honey - Need Stroker Pistons

if it were me, i would keep my 74' intact and look for big bore cases,it would be a shame to take apart a good motor to bulid the stroker, get the flywheels and then slowly get together the parts to do the stroker, than you can still use most of your parts when ya get ready,the heads can be cut for bigbore,rebuild the oilpump, reuse the oilpump drive and breather gears,..stock bore pistons for a stroker are hard to find, but the mod to them is easy, ya just have to clearance them(shorten) and on 1 skirt, they need to be notched for the stroker crank, and then use stroker plates like they talked about, but this will efect the balance you have now. you should use good rods like s&s or some heavy duty rods on a stroker,saving money on parts is cool, but the cost of mechine work is not at all cheep,and to keep the 74 cases and stroke them they will have to be cut ( clearanced) for the stroker crank, the rotating assembly will need to be balanced,why pay for that now and then do it again when you go to bigbore, the bigger pistons will throw off the balance, think this out real well, a stroker shovel will run good you wont be dissapointed when you get her done, but collect all of your parts to do it all at once,and mabey sell the 74 to offset some of the price,.. there are lots of things that go into a stroker not just flywheels,intake will need to be changed,longer pushrods and covers,taller cylinders, stroker pistons with short skirts,and never install a unbalanced rotating assembly,it will pound itself apart! just some ideas to think about. freebird

Old 08-01-2006, 03:07 AM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the 84 hot setup in my shovel with s$s e carb as well and the thing absolutely screams.Buying a well know kit is the way to go.The only problem it has lately is blowing the motor sprocket seal,not bad but messy due to open primary.Hope its only a breathing problem.Strokers require more upkeep or at least sooner upkeep,you dont want to destroy lwr cases.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:52 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,205 Likes on 1,480 Posts

S&S Cycles makes cast pistons for 3 5/8" bore shovels. And divide it up further by stroke, to take you from 88 to 103 engine displacement (maybe more now because my S&S book is a couple of years old). You can check them out on line at www.sscycle.com. S&S products are not cheap. And, since you are using Truett and Osborne wheels, why not spend a little extra to ensure it is put together with quality on top and bottom. (Truett and Osborne are rebuilding my lower end so I know their stuff isn't cheap.)

Old 08-01-2006, 03:47 PM
TDWZ28
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a set of .060 S&S 2800 series pistons on ebay. Item #260015517032.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:22 PM
FREEBIRDFXRS
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FTWZ28
YA BEAT ME TO IT I WAS GOING TO TELL HIM ABOUT THE EBAY S&S PISTONS....BUT IF HE LIKES TO GO BIG BORE AND DO IT ALL AT ONCE. I GOT A BRAND NEW SET OF KB.294 3 5/8 STD. BORE PISTONS AND NEW CYLINDERS BIG BORE +.200 3 5/8 STD. AND ALL OF THE HARDWARE THAT HE WILL NEED +THE INTAKE THAT YA WILL NEED, FOR SALE NOW AT A GOOD PRICE!!!
FREEBIRD

Old 08-17-2006, 09:08 AM
bluezguy
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: TDWZ28

There is a set of .060 S&S 2800 series pistons on ebay. Item #260015517032.
Thanks for that info... I won the pistons and they seem to be in great shape. They're goin' to the Magnaflux doctor this morning just to make sure.
I'm going after stock bore stroker with my new T&O wheels not big bore. No gotz da kaschzzz for the latter... it will be next years project once I save enough scheckles.

My 2 best buddies did their '77 FLHs with stock bore 4 1/2" wheels and Dave Mackie's port & polish magic... the scooters were wild, screamin' hellcats outta the hole.

With 0.60 over on my cylinders, that gives me an 86.46" engine... plenty 'nough for now.

Thanks again for your help.