Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Best lube for primary?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:41 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Best lube for primary?

My first post in this section...hello all.

Please forgive my lack of proper terminology.

Ok, (venting) I experienced a crazy electrical problem. I hit the start button, heard a crazy whine then my starter smoked. Smoked alot. I found the fried components (starter, solenoid & starter lead cable), bought new, installed & still had the same problem but this time I only had the positive battery cable clamped on and was able to pull it off quickly before further damage. After scratching my head for a couple hours I figured out what had happened. An inner primary case bolt had fallen out & lodged between the bottom of the primary and the big gear that the starter drive gear engages. This locked everything up tight and for whatever reason, wasn't letting the solenoid cut power to the starter. It just stayed on...until it melted the starter lead, solenoid and starter.

Here's the bolt,

Here's where it came from,

And just behind the clutch you'll see the large gear that it locked up...

So I've cleaned the inside thoroughly (drain plug has a magnet that caught the majority of the shavings) and reassembled everything. Now I need to refill the primary and would like suggestions about what is best and how much does it require.

Sorry for the rant...it's been 30 degrees here all week and today it's supposed to get to 60. I'd love to ride it one last time before it snows.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-07-2010, 06:41 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Forgot to mention...75 Shovel 1200.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:10 AM
SirEagle
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need to replace that front bolt that came out, and either tie wire them together or get a lock tab to keep them both in place, it looks like your running a wet primary that is oiled thru the oil pump, in that case you dont add oil it is lubed with your engine oil

Old 11-07-2010, 07:17 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

I replaced the bolt but I don't see what you mean about a tab for the "2" bolts. There's only one right there and it's not near anything.

The lube I drained from it appeared (and smelled) like gear oil...and I know that I don't have gear oil in the oil tank. I wipe up oil everywhere I park this thing and it's never been anything as thick & nasty as what was in the primary. Atleast I know that the primary isn't leaking.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:01 PM
TCMAN
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indeed you are oiled with engine oil through oil line or case vent-per se. Should not have an excess of oil in primary when you open her up, it should be scavaging back into engine lubrication system.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:22 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't know why mine is different but I stopped by a local indy shop today & he said that my primary lube is independent of the engine oil tank...just as mine is. He explained it to a T. When I asked what lube to use he said 50 weight oil but it's common to use gear lube in there, which is what I drained from it. I filled it up with gear lube once again.

When I pulled the drain plug about 1 quart drained out. That's also the amount the mechanic said to use. He said my bike used to be a touring bike. Which is why it has no kick start.

I don't know. It's a learning experience for me and I learned alot about it this weekend.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 PM
flh80
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shovels didn't originally have the Primary separated from the motor lube like the new bikes, it had engine oil pumped in and then sucked out, so there wasn't any major amounts left in there, you would get a small amount when you pulled the drain. Look behind and see if there are oil lines going into the Primary. If it is sealed off you don't want gear lube in there, it's too thick. You can use most anything (about 8oz) ATF, H-D Primary lube, 20w-50 oil.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:22 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Will do...thanks.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by mreed
Atleast I know that the primary isn't leaking.
That is why they were running gear oil...it doesn't leak as much...that's what I run in mine....no problems

Old 11-12-2010, 11:10 PM
flh80
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
That is why they were running gear oil...it doesn't leak as much...that's what I run in mine....no problems
Gear lube works fine for lubing but will goo up the clutch plates, thinner is better.

Quick Reply: Best lube for primary?