Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovelhead Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 10:30 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by 16over
This was my only ride for about 10 years(and its been all over), went to a Street Bob in 06, sold it and bought a Street Glide in 09 because the wife wanted to ride more. She ain't riding so the SG is for sale now and I'm getting another Shovel (something with shocks though, getting older is a bitch)

I do still have the Chopper and it does find its way out every now and then.
man that things bad ***.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:47 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by fxr_john
OK, reviving a dead thread here, so apologies first up.

In the mid '90's I bought an '82 FXRS, first of the rubber mounts with the shovel, great bike, ended up selling before I moved back to Australia and now I totally regret it. I'll be visiting my wifes family in central Ohio in the spring and have found a few '82 FXRS around and I plan on buying one, but, I'll then need to ride it out to the west coast to chuck it on a ship back to Australia. Well, I don't have to, but want to.

What do people think I should be looking at to get a shop to service to make sure it will get from OH/PA/IL/IN to Los Angeles? What tool kit should I be putting together before I leave (I am capable of most engine stuff except the real detailed parts).

I also plan on getting a bunch of new parts and putting them on before departing such as new pipes, air filter, clutch plates, brake pads and the like, consumables mostly. Maybe add a clip on windshield for the trip too.

But really, the gist of the question is what should I be looking for to make sure I make it from East to West?

Cheers
John
'87 FXRS
You're asking for trouble. There is no way I would ride a bike I had just bought used all the way across country, especially this time of year. Do the smart thing and have it shipped instead.

carl

Old 01-09-2018, 04:00 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
You're asking for trouble. There is no way I would ride a bike I had just bought used all the way across country, especially this time of year. Do the smart thing and have it shipped instead.

carl
+1
Shovelhead, EVO, even Twinky!!
Makes no difference... I would want to live with it awhile before venturing very far from home..
Far as I am concerned... my '82 FXRS has done all for me that should be expected by this time, having owned it from showroom new.. I do Not put Needless [mindless, meaningless, frivolous, useless] miles on the old Girl anymore... She Deserves better than I have already given!!!

Old 01-16-2018, 09:58 PM
LilRosie
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

A shovel is as reliable as the person working on it.

Rules of thumb when owning and riding old iron.
Invest in a HD service manual and a parts manual for the yr of your bike.
Get to know the sub culture around you that have old iron.
When riding old iron, take along some basic parts and tools.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (01-16-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 10:49 AM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 to above comments and the forum link, great info there, too.

I've had a 2000 and a 2007 harley and now my only harley is a 1968 FLH. A very different world in terms of maintenance (frequency mostly) but it is a great experience!

You will probably end up paying more for maintenance, too, if you use the mom and pop shop versus doing things yourself. My skills on my sportbikes are basic like oil change, coolant flush, even take off AND put on a wheel or two...but I prefer other folks to get dirty And I pay a pretty penny for having someone else do the work on the shovel.

Old 12-18-2020, 01:57 PM
t4halo
Cruiser
Received 100 Likes on 33 Posts

Resurrecting this thread because it’s the best damn thread I’ve ever read. Makes me want a shovel real bad. Love my new to me 95 FB but may have to add a FLH from the 70’s.

T4

Old 12-18-2020, 03:38 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

i have a 76 flh and a 80 fxe that easy become a fl in the classified section for sale

Old 12-18-2020, 06:27 PM
Lowoilpressure
Tourer
Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

My first Harley was a 78 FX that I bought in 1990 from a Harley dealer. To this day, I've never been as happy as the day I drove it home, and I mean that.
I sold it when I got married, dumb move but I was broke and in love.

Bought a similar bike 12 years ago an put a bunch of money getting it reasonably back to stock. I decided to stop where it is since I really like the bike. I put a whole new/used OEM front end on it this fall (everything in front of the gas tank was replaced except the apes) and now it sits till spring. I own a Rushmore Ultra-limited for the long trips and use my shovel for around town stuff. I really don't see myself ever getting rid of it. It is too pretty and historic to let it go. I'm an old soul and most anything new isn't my cup of tea.

Last edited by Lowoilpressure; 12-18-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:51 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,905 Likes on 17,472 Posts

My shovels outlasted an ex wife, a baker's dozen girlfriends and more weekend honey's than I can remember. Been the only consistently steady thing in my life for almost 40 years.

The following 3 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
AJSHOVEL (12-31-2020), mr.precision (12-23-2020), panz4ever (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 05:39 AM
John7253
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been riding my 1974 Electra Glide for 35 years it's my daily ride also traveled all over the northeast. Maine, Vermont,New Hampshire, Massachusetts & New York had a few problems but never held me up more than half a day the bike shows 96,000 miles there is more as I road it a couple years without a speedometer. My last major trip was in 2009 to the Catskills a 500 mile weekend it was a hard ride for my old *** so now it's short rides 100 miles or so. Not wanting to give up traveling I purchased a 2004 Ultra in 2010 just not the same.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (12-31-2020)

Quick Reply: Shovelhead Advice